DH Raven, WBRR
    Tarp
    Cowboy Badlander
    Insulation
    Cedar Ridge quilts
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles

Question Tyvek tarp and snakeskins?

I am really interested in making a Tyvek HomeWrap tarp (or a couple). I'd like to make one 9' x 12' so I can use it over two hammocks while family camping or as a "winter" tarp with doors. I'd also like to make a 9' x 9' diamond for mild weather solo camping with my 11' DH Sparrow (I assume 9x9 would be large enough on the diagonal).

I've read up on other forum posts about using Tyvek, about the noise issues (and washing fix), and the slight bulkiness when packed. I have a few questions:

1. Has anyone ever tried using snakeskins on a Tyvek tarp? If so, did the bulkiness when packing issue apply?

2. I really don't want to buy a full 9x150 roll for $170 from HD. On Ebay, it will cost roughly the same to get a 9' x 12' piece of by-the-foot Tyvek mailed to me as it would to buy the same size Chinook tarp on Amazon (I know, because I have the Chinook but still need another large tarp). Should I just go with the Chinook even though it's a bit heavier? Or does anyone on the forums have some spare Tyvek from a 9' roll?

3. Does Tyvek stretch at all like silnylon? I wouldn't think so since it's poly, but figured I should ask.

4. If I can't find some scraps (per #2 above), would anyone be interested in splitting up a 9x150 roll? After tax, it should come out to about $0.14/ft, or ~$1.30 per 9x1 ft piece (plus shipping for any takers). On Ebay prices start at $1.79 per 9x1' with what feels like high shipping costs.
    Last edited by jdy98p; 02-08-2018 at 14:22. Reason: added questions & grammar

Hammock
    Mayan, WarbonnetRR XLC
    Tarp
    Warbonnet SuperFly
    Suspension
    Whoopee! Hitchcock
    Go down to the post office and pick up a few of the white mailing envelopes to fiddle with--they're free, but don't over do it. It's good stuff, but it's very different from what we're used to as campers.
    One thing I really like about my bivy sack over my tent (nylon) is no random odd noises. Tents are always making little inexplicable noises that 'alert' me. I can't image what one made out of tyvek would be like. Also $170 is the cost of a really nice rainfly with end flaps, tie offs.... like the Warbonnet SuperFly $140/$165, already made in sil-nylon. (Would it cover two hammocks? I don't know, it's 11' ridge x 10' wide). Maybe call them up and ask what it would cost to make one 12' wide.
    The experiment with the postoffice 'samples'? Make something like ear muffs, a head band, make the same out of anything else you have, then wear it around.

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    DIY silpoly 11x10
    Insulation
    DIY down TQ, WL UQ
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by jdy98p View Post
    I am really interested in making a Tyvek HomeWrap tarp (or a couple). I'd like to make one 9' x 12' so I can use it over two hammocks while family camping or as a "winter" tarp with doors. I'd also like to make a 9' x 9' diamond for mild weather solo camping with my 11' DH Sparrow (I assume 9x9 would be large enough on the diagonal).

I've read up on other forum posts about using Tyvek, about the noise issues (and washing fix), and the slight bulkiness when packed. I have a few questions:

1. Has anyone ever tried using snakeskins on a Tyvek tarp? If so, did the bulkiness when packing issue apply?

2. I really don't want to buy a full 9x150 roll for $170 from HD. On Ebay, it will cost roughly the same to get a 9' x 12' piece of by-the-foot Tyvek mailed to me as it would to buy the same size Chinook tarp on Amazon (I know, because I have the Chinook but still need another large tarp). Should I just go with the Chinook even though it's a bit heavier? Or does anyone on the forums have some spare Tyvek from a 9' roll?

[EDIT - added questions]

3. Does Tyvek stretch at all like silnylon? I wouldn't think so since it's poly, but figured I should ask.

4. If I can't find some scraps (per #2 above), would anyone be interested in spliting up a 9x150 roll? After tax, it should come out to about $0.14/ft, or ~$1.30 per 9x1 ft piece (plus shipping for any takers). On Ebay prices start at $1.79 per 9x1' with what feels like high shipping costs.
    I wouldn't buy a roll, unless you really need a lot. You can buy it buy the foot on ebay. http://www.ebay.com/bhp/tyvek-sheet

Edit: nevermind. I see your math.

Hammock
    DH Raven, WBRR
    Tarp
    Cowboy Badlander
    Insulation
    Cedar Ridge quilts
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by WillUpnDown View Post
    Go down to the post office and pick up a few of the white mailing envelopes to fiddle with--they're free, but don't over do it. It's good stuff, but it's very different from what we're used to as campers.
    One thing I really like about my bivy sack over my tent (nylon) is no random odd noises. Tents are always making little inexplicable noises that 'alert' me. I can't image what one made out of tyvek would be like. Also $170 is the cost of a really nice rainfly with end flaps, tie offs.... like the Warbonnet SuperFly $140/$165, already made in sil-nylon. (Would it cover two hammocks? I don't know, it's 11' ridge x 10' wide). Maybe call them up and ask what it would cost to make one 12' wide.
    The experiment with the postoffice 'samples'? Make something like ear muffs, a head band, make the same out of anything else you have, then wear it around.
    I'll run by the post office on the way home to get a few new ones. I've seen and used those envelopes before and over time they get soft and *much* less noisy. I know I could get one good (or great) tarp for $170, but at least with a full roll I'd get a *lot* of tarps/shelters/ground cloths/etc. If I can't get my hands on a smaller amount (or share a roll purchase) I'll go the Ebay or Chinook route for fiscal responsibility, which hasn't really been my thing since exploring hammocking.
    Last edited by jdy98p; 02-08-2018 at 14:21. Reason: clarity

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    I tried a Tyvek tarp - it was used once before I gave up on that idea. Too bulky in general and way too bulky for backpacking, and I think snakeskins would make it even bulkier. I definitely would not spend any money on the idea. The only money I spent was on Tyvek tape and Zing-It tie-outs - got a couple of rolls of Tyvek from construction sites.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    Dutch 11' Hex 2.4/ SLD Lair
    Tarp
    UGQ Catcut Hex
    Insulation
    Zeppelin/Burrow
    Suspension
    Dutch Cinch Buckle
    I made a pair of Tyvek Grizbeaks and they are very bulky, especially after I hemmed the edges and made some hardpoints for grommets using a layer of gorilla tape on it.
    "Civilization exists by geological consent, subject to change without notice." Will Durant

Hammock
    Yukon
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah 9
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    I've come to the conclusion tyvek shines in smaller projects. I love making stuff sacks from it, but it's lack of compression and higher weight versus nylon or polyester compounds on larger projects.

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    I made a Tyvek tarp as a ground dweller shelter, dimensions similar to HMG Echo II.

Used a couple of times in the woods, once with light rain. It worked okay but just didn't strike me as a long-term solution, i.e. a tarp that could take a beating from serious wind/rain and still get the job done. And IIRC it is also heavier than Cuben, although admittedly one helluva lot cheaper!

tyvek tarp 01-small.jpg

Hammock
    DH Raven, WBRR
    Tarp
    Cowboy Badlander
    Insulation
    Cedar Ridge quilts
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post
    I made a Tyvek tarp as a ground dweller shelter, dimensions similar to HMG Echo II.

Used a couple of times in the woods, once with light rain. It worked okay but just didn't strike me as a long-term solution, i.e. a tarp that could take a beating from serious wind/rain and still get the job done. And IIRC it is also heavier than Cuben, although admittedly one helluva lot cheaper!

tyvek tarp 01-small.jpg
    It may be heavier than cuben, but cuben isn’t even in the running

Basic cheap poly (ie Chinook) or maybe a silpoly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jdy98p View Post
    It may be heavier than cuben, but cuben isn’t even in the running

Basic cheap poly (ie Chinook) or maybe a silpoly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Oh, I get that, lol!

Sometimes it's better in the long run to get something relatively inexpensive and reasonably light, such as a HG Quest.

But I also have that MYOG streak in me that emerges from time to time, and it's fun to let it rip occasionally. The trekking poles in the above photo are also MYOG. And it seems extra-satisfying to use something you made.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast