Dutch 11 foot
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Diy uq phantom32
    Suspension
    Dutch speed hooks/
    Images
    If you like making your own things and you plan on doing it anyways why not just buy the material to make a real tarp? it won't be that much more than the Tyvek. I've been building houses for over 20 years and have use Tyvek quite a bit. it's a vapor barrier, not necessarily waterproof and it breaks down over time when crankled that's why it gets softer. The softer it gets the more fluffed the fibers are and the quicker water will soak through when puddled. Add to that the fact that it's extremely bulky and really noisy even when it's been softened, it can also tear fairly easy when the rip happens in the right direction. Anyways it can work,many people have used it but it certainly not ideal. I would suggest you would be better off buying some 6 mil plastic and reinforcing the stress points with duct tape. This method would be a lot cheaper, lighter and more compact.
    By all means, let's argue about whether or not a hammock will hurt a tree. All the while ignoring the fact that there is an island of garbage the size of Texas floating in the Pacific ocean. Or how about the fact that over 75% of the world's nuclear reactors are leaking...

Hammock
    DH Raven, WBRR
    Tarp
    Cowboy Badlander
    Insulation
    Cedar Ridge quilts
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by Carrico View Post
    If you like making your own things and you plan on doing it anyways why not just buy the material to make a real tarp? it won't be that much more than the Tyvek. I've been building houses for over 20 years and have use Tyvek quite a bit. it's a vapor barrier, not necessarily waterproof and it breaks down over time when crankled that's why it gets softer. The softer it gets the more fluffed the fibers are and the quicker water will soak through when puddled. Add to that the fact that it's extremely bulky and really noisy even when it's been softened, it can also tear fairly easy when the rip happens in the right direction. Anyways it can work,many people have used it but it certainly not ideal. I would suggest you would be better off buying some 6 mil plastic and reinforcing the stress points with duct tape. This method would be a lot cheaper, lighter and more compact.
    Interestingly I was just looking at some 2-3mil plastic drop cloth options. How feasible are those wrt durability?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Dutch 11 foot
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Diy uq phantom32
    Suspension
    Dutch speed hooks/
    Images
    You're going to have to be pretty careful with 2 or 3 mil plastic, 6 ml would be best. although there are plenty of people who have made them out of the very thin painter drop cloth, which I think is like 1.5 mil. the trick is getting the reinforcements right with the duct tape. but at the price you're going to pay for the plastic and the tape you could probably make like 50 of them or more for the same price as the Tyvek or material to make a real tarp or buying a real tarp.
    By all means, let's argue about whether or not a hammock will hurt a tree. All the while ignoring the fact that there is an island of garbage the size of Texas floating in the Pacific ocean. Or how about the fact that over 75% of the world's nuclear reactors are leaking...

Hammock
    WalhallaCustom11'
    Tarp
    Walhalla Winter
    Insulation
    LL0°,CRO20°
    Suspension
    CL's/Buckles/Etc
    Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post
    Oh, I get that, lol!

Sometimes it's better in the long run to get something relatively inexpensive and reasonably light, such as a HG Quest.

But I also have that MYOG streak in me that emerges from time to time, and it's fun to let it rip occasionally. The trekking poles in the above photo are also MYOG. And it seems extra-satisfying to use something you made.
    I never though about MYOG trekking poles!!! You suck. With that said, could you PM me what you made yours out of and I'm assuming they are not adjustable, which is a bummer but neither are XC ski poles, so that is not a deal breaker. I'm visualizing grips turned on my lathe...

Sent from a furniture shop in Maine
    www.wildcherrywoodworks.com (my business)
    www.mainechopstick.com (my other business)
    www.4alloutdoors.org (a friend's site I do reviews for)
    www.curlymaplechronicles.blogspot.com (my personal blog)

Hammock
    Yukon
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah 9
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by Carrico View Post
    You're going to have to be pretty careful with 2 or 3 mil plastic, 6 ml would be best. although there are plenty of people who have made them out of the very thin painter drop cloth, which I think is like 1.5 mil. the trick is getting the reinforcements right with the duct tape. but at the price you're going to pay for the plastic and the tape you could probably make like 50 of them or more for the same price as the Tyvek or material to make a real tarp or buying a real tarp.
    I made one from 4mil that hung continuously in my backyard for something like 3 straight months. We had temp ranges from 91 down to 18 in that time frame and winds up to 30mph. I used white duck tape for the tie outs. When I finally 'retired' it the tarp was still structurally sound.

I assume UV would have eventually broken it down, but it hung tough for as long as I had it up, and $10 for a 25'x10' hunk of 4mil is a nice price.

Hammock
    DH Raven, WBRR
    Tarp
    Cowboy Badlander
    Insulation
    Cedar Ridge quilts
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by geneaut View Post
    I made one from 4mil that hung continuously in my backyard for something like 3 straight months. We had temp ranges from 91 down to 18 in that time frame and winds up to 30mph. I used white duck tape for the tie outs. When I finally 'retired' it the tarp was still structurally sound.

I assume UV would have eventually broken it down, but it hung tough for as long as I had it up, and $10 for a 25'x10' hunk of 4mil is a nice price.
    I think this is the route I'll go. I'm digging the price and I've seen a lot of positive feedback on 4 mil.

Hammock
    Sparrow (DH)
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah 12
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    In my opinion, Tyvek kind-of sucks as a tarp. I get the idea to save a few bucks but jump on ripstopbytheroll.com and pick up a kit ready to sew for not much more. I have a Tyvek chunk that I use under my hammock as a ground tarp and it sucks. Slippery, noisy, just not worth the effort.
    Rick...

Hammock
    Dutch 11 foot
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Diy uq phantom32
    Suspension
    Dutch speed hooks/
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Rphen View Post
    In my opinion, Tyvek kind-of sucks as a tarp. I get the idea to save a few bucks but jump on ripstopbytheroll.com and pick up a kit ready to sew for not much more. I have a Tyvek chunk that I use under my hammock as a ground tarp and it sucks. Slippery, noisy, just not worth the effort.
    I tried a chunk out as a ground tarp too and quickly switched over to some Pu treated ripstop nylon instead. In my personal opinion after working with the stuff for over 20 years I find it highly overrated, and even when building houses I generally opt. For good old tar paper instead of Tyvek, DuPont has a monopoly on a lot of things just like Simpson Hardware has a monopoly on house Hardware.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12