Tarp
    DIY Silpoly Hex
    Insulation
    CDT UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images

Cat cuts on 1.1 Silpoly hex tarp?

I am about to start my first DIY tarp. I am basically doing the DIY RSBTR HEX12 tarp using 1.1 silpoly. Their instructions say "If using Silpoly, cat-cuts are not strictly necessary and could be omitted..."

The language and punctuation makes be question the wisdom in omitting the cats. Has anyone made a silpoly hex tarp and skipped the cat cuts? How did it work out? Any regrets about leaving edges straight?

I am a little worried in my ability to sew a rolled hem over a curved edge, hence my interest in leaving the cat-cuts out. On the other hand, I am willing to add them in if there is an noticeable advantage.

Thanks in advance!

I vote for the cat cuts, makes 'em look pretty when they're pitched. It doesn't take much, maybe 3" deep on the bottom/longest edges of the tarp. It does make the rolled hem a bit more tricky, more so on they ends of the tarp where the silpoly was cut on the bias diagonally across the ripstop, it tends to stretch in this direction. I usually end up with a few wrinkles in the hem.

As for reinforcements, I have sewed them on and glued them on. I'm not sold either way, both seem to work.

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    DIY silpoly 11x10
    Insulation
    DIY down TQ, WL UQ
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    None of mine have cat cuts. They all pitch tight, and look clean. On my hex I’ve never noticed wrinkles on the edges with the bias cut. On my 11x10 flat, and my winter it does wrinkle along the fold lines when the doors are used.

The cat cuts probably allow for a slightly tighter pitch, but largely it would be for aesthetics. silpoly really only stretches on the bias.

Banned
    Hammock
    Sold
    Insulation
    Varies
    Suspension
    Depends
    Cat cuts make the pich neater, cuts out some wrinkle, plus it makes the tarp a bit lighter.
    With cat cits there is a bit more challenge to cutting and construction. I do deep cat cuts because I like how they look. I have a big winter tarp with very shallow cat cuts that is great in nasty blowing winter weather.

If you are a I just want to get this made person, leave the cat cuts. If you want to take the time to measure mark and carefully stitch your tarp then go with cat cuts.

Hammock
    DIY 12ft HyperD 1.6SL
    Tarp
    The Stingray DIY
    Insulation
    Incubator/Gemini
    Suspension
    UCRWhoopieCinch
    The hardest part with cat cuts is getting them marked out and cut properly and then taking your time as you sew them one small section at a time. Clips are a great help.

Not really that bad. Just time consuming to do it right.

I greatly prefer a taut tarp and the cat cuts do that as well as looking really cool.

Many fine looking tarps have been posted here that had no cat cuts.
    "If we lose the forests, we lose our only instructors. People must see these forests and wilderness as the greatest educational system that we have on the planet. If we lose all the universities in the world, then we would lose nothing. But If we lose the forests, we lose everything." -- Bill Mollison

Hammock
    DIY 10.5'
    Tarp
    DIY Silpoly Hex
    Insulation
    CDT UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Thanks for the responses! I agree that the cat-cuts do add a bit of aesthetics, but being that this is my first tarp project, I think I’ll go ahead and skip them. If I really hate it, I can always add them later.

Hammock
    Dutch/SLD/WB/DIY
    Tarp
    DWG/HG/SLD/UGQ/DIY
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    Quote Originally Posted by forces View Post
    Thanks for the responses! ...this is my first tarp project, I think I’ll go ahead and skip them. If I really hate it, I can always add them later.
    I think this is a sound plan. I a ost always sew cat-cuts on my two-piece tarps, as I think they do still help with stretch from the weave even on tarps made from material with low-stretch fibers. Regardless, I always see the ridge line seam first on any two-piece tarp so that I can regroup and salvage the project in case of catastrophe. You are correct tha you can definitely go back and add cat-cuts to your straight-edged tarp later, in most cases. Good luck with your build.
    Smart graphic design for all your needs by BGD

Hammock
    DIY 10.5'
    Tarp
    DIY Silpoly Hex
    Insulation
    CDT UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Just started the build today. Man, this was a bigger undertaking than I anticipated. As a person who is new to using a sewing machine, I can tell you I have a lot to learn. Sewing this 1.1 silpoly is difficult but a little easier than the internet had led me to believe. I tried the tissue paper thing, but found I really didn’t need to using an entry level brother machine. The ridge line came out nicely. I glued the tie-out reinforcements with silnet. Those are drying at the moment. I’ll post a few photos of the finished product after I finish up the perimeter rolled hem and seam sealing.

Hammock
    My NEXT project
    Insulation
    None! It'sTROPICAL
    And still no photos...

Hammock
    1.6 hyperD 2.2 hex 1.7 mountain
    Tarp
    9x9 1.1 oz silnylo
    Insulation
    sleeping pad
    Suspension
    whoopy slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by forces View Post
    I am about to start my first DIY tarp. I am basically doing the DIY RSBTR HEX12 tarp using 1.1 silpoly. Their instructions say "If using Silpoly, cat-cuts are not strictly necessary and could be omitted..."

The language and punctuation makes be question the wisdom in omitting the cats. Has anyone made a silpoly hex tarp and skipped the cat cuts? How did it work out? Any regrets about leaving edges straight?

I am a little worried in my ability to sew a rolled hem over a curved edge, hence my interest in leaving the cat-cuts out. On the other hand, I am willing to add them in if there is an noticeable advantage.

Thanks in advance!
    I have made a couple without cat cuts and they work OK. The tarps would have been better with them. The material isn't difficult to work with. The shallow cat curve is not a problem, a few pins and it becomes easy.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast