Dutch/SLD/WB/DIY
    Tarp
    DWG/HG/SLD/UGQ/DIY
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    Dutchware

Cool The Cowboy Tri-Wrangle Underquilt Adjuster

Finding myself with most of a spare hank of 7/64" Amsteel and a free hour on my hands after finishing the day's work before settling in for the evening, I decided to design and splice up an expedient all-Amsteel cord DIY alternative to the popular vendor-made triangular fabric "underquilt adjusters" that bring the attachment points for your full- or partial-length UQ inboard along the ridge line of your hammock, inducing a steeper angle to the quilt suspension at each end to combat sagging, slippage, Cold Butt Syndrome, and/or the dreaded "accordion effect".

Here was my result...

In all honesty, IMHO the commercial "underquilt adjusters" always seemed like an answer in search of a problem. I seldom have problems getting my underquilts to fit properly or stay put -- even my shortest one -- but I realize everyone has different hammocks, different quilts, different somatypes, and different levels of tolerance for fiddling with their underquilt suspension, so with these factors in mind I tried to replicate the function of the vendor-made adjusters with an easy no-sew design using only common components.

I designed this prototype to be sized appropriately for use with short (3/4-length) underquilts approximately 58" long.

To make one Tri-Wrangle (one of a pair, good for one end of a hammock), one requires these components:

* 10.5 feet of 7/64" Amsteel Blue
    * One (1) mitten hook
    * Two (2) small metal O-rings or split rings

(You will also need a loop turner or other splicing tool, a sharp blade, a ruler, and a permament marker. Double these supplies for a pair of TWs.)

1) Cut the Amsteel into one 108" length and one 18" length, and set the shorter piece aside. Taper all four cut ends of the cordage.

2) With the mitten hook threaded on the long piece of Amsteel, form a small 1/2" eyelet loop and capture the mitten hook with a locked brummel. Bury one free end of the long piece into the other side for approximately 1" and secure it with another locked brummel. Measure down each free end from this apex approximately 14" and mark each side with a dot from a permanent marker.

3) Mark in 3" from each end of the short 18" piece of Amsteel. Choose one end and create a locked brummel with one side of the looped longer Amsteel piece at one of the target points you marked, and bury the 3" free end in that side of the looped long piece in a direction back toward the apex with the mitten hook. Then do the same with the remaining end of the short piece in the opposite end of the looped long piece, also burying the 3" tail so that it points back toward the apex of the looped long piece. NB: You will have to get creative with your splicing skills in order to form the last locked brummel, but if you draw the long piece through the short piece first you will eventually figure it out... This step completes an isosceles triangle assemblage of Amsteel cord, having two equal sides of approximately 14" and base width of about 12"; there are long tails dangling from the two corners opposite the apex with the mitten hook.

4) Thread one small metal ring onto each remainiing long Amsteel tail, and mark each tail 1" and 6" away from the locked brummels merging the long and short Amsteel pieces on each side of the triangle.

5) To complete the adjuster, use your loop turner inserted from the 1" to the 6" mark on one tail to draw the free end of the tail and form an adjustable loop, similar to that found on a whoopie sling, so that it captures the metal ring; then bury the 3" section closest to the free end back upon itself inside that tail to form a stop that won't pull through the 5" constrictor section you just formed. Repeat these same actions on the remaining tail to complete the first adjuster, so that there is a loop with approximately 11" of adjustment on each side, and then repeat steps 1-5 to build the second adjuster in the pair of Tri-Wrangles.

(For full-length underquilts, fashion slightly shorter Tri-Wrangle adjusters with the sane 12" base width by reducing the measurement of the equilateral sides from 14" down to 12" or less.)

To install your Tri-Wrangles, use a mitten hook to snap one on to one gathered end of your hammock and drape the transverse (12) base cord over the structural ridge line of your hammock with a "whoopie" adjustable loop dangling on either side. Use a simple lark's head knot to lash the elastic primary suspension of your underquilt to the small metal ring captured by each adjustable loop on the TW, and then use the constrictor to adjust the loop length on each side for the desired tension and fit for the quilt at the steeper improved angle. Repeat these installation steps with the second TW at the opposite end of the hammock, and you're done...

In limited testing this evening, these homemade Tri-Wrangle UQ adjusters worked well. The "whoopie" loops work well to snug up the existing elastic lines of the quilt's primary suspension without permanent modification -- all with very little fuss.

A pair of Tri-Wrangle adjusters weigh in at no more than 36 grams (1.27 oz) and cost about $7 to make. This makes them a viable alternative to the vendor-made product, offering a 27% weight reduction at only about one third the cost, a nice option for a quick fix when you don't have time to go online and order the real thing before your next big camping trip. The Tri-Wrangles aren't as nice looking as the real thing, but they are presentable, functional, and easy to use. You'll be able to make a pair of TWs from supplies you probably have on hand already with enough Amsteel left from a 23-foot hank to make yourself an extra continuous loop.

Give this trick a try the next time you have an ornery underquilt and an hour to kill. Thanks for reading...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by kitsapcowboy; 02-08-2018 at 11:07.
    Smart graphic design for all your needs by BGD

Hammock
    DIY 12ft HyperD 1.6SL
    Tarp
    The Stingray DIY
    Insulation
    Incubator/Gemini
    Suspension
    UCRWhoopieCinch
    Very clever. It's awesome that you take the time to flesh something out and fully document it here, despite the fact that it's a problem you haven't really had.

Good stuff!
    "If we lose the forests, we lose our only instructors. People must see these forests and wilderness as the greatest educational system that we have on the planet. If we lose all the universities in the world, then we would lose nothing. But If we lose the forests, we lose everything." -- Bill Mollison

Images
    Thanks cowboy.

I made something almost identical a few years ago. The problem I had with it is that it did not play nice with the bugnet on my WBBB and was wrecking the mesh at the contact points.

Hammock
    Dutch/SLD/WB/DIY
    Tarp
    DWG/HG/SLD/UGQ/DIY
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    Dutchware

Exclamation DISCLAIMER

This DIY project report was submitted to this forum for ENTERTAINMENT PURPOSES ONLY. Use any methods, ideas, or inspirations contained herein strictly AT YOUR OWN RISK. I accept no responsibility whatsoever for any injury or harm that befalls others owing to information presented here, and I accept no responsibility for any errors the post contains.

I do not in any way advocate that others should do anything I have presented here; this thread is strictly DOCUMENTATION OF FACT. Readers beware.

There is a lot of great information on Hammock Forums available from members with much more substantial experience, better ideas, and better methods than mine. SEEK IT OUT.

Thank you for your attention.

Hammock
    Dutch/SLD/WB/DIY
    Tarp
    DWG/HG/SLD/UGQ/DIY
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    Quote Originally Posted by leiavoia View Post
    Thanks cowboy. I made something almost identical a few years ago. The problem I had with it is that it did not play nice with the bugnet on my WBBB and was wrecking the mesh at the contact points.
    I'm sure that's entirely possible, depending upon how one makes it and uses it. (See my disclaimer above.)

While I have no first-hand experience with the commercial product and assume the weight distribution of the fabric panel must be better than this Amsteel cord triangle, I can't imagine that using any device like this over time doesn't exert some wear and tear, since a good portion of the stress is likely still on the grosgrain edging of a fabric triangle adjuster, and the ribbon is something less than frictionless...

My XLC has a winter top cover with no mesh, and the 1.9 oz fabric is quite robust; perhaps for cold-weather hammocks with fabric on top, an Amsteel adjuster isn't as much of an issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Cabmanhang View Post
    Very clever. It's awesome that you take the time to flesh something out and fully document it here, despite the fact that it's a problem you haven't really had. Good stuff!
    Thank you, C.

Hammock
    WB RR, DIY Bridge (Dutch Kit)
    Tarp
    Kammok Glider
    Insulation
    DIY TQ, DIY BQ
    Suspension
    Whoopsie Slings
    If you have an opportunity, could you take a picture or two of how this looks when deployed on a hammock?

Also, you mention commercial options. Do you have a link or two so I can see what you are trying to improve?

Thanks for the information. I'm just not sure if I need to make one of these or not.

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY Tarps
    Insulation
    Leigh's UQ's
    Images
    Yeah I know the guy that came up with the triangle thingies. They were designed to protect the bugnet and used silnylon to slide easily across the net. If you don't have a bugnet then you don't need these, just use a prusik on the ridgeline.

A quick and easy cord version is to use the sheath on regular paracord.

Great looking version Kits!

Quote Originally Posted by leiavoia View Post
    Thanks cowboy.

I made something almost identical a few years ago. The problem I had with it is that it did not play nice with the bugnet on my WBBB and was wrecking the mesh at the contact points.

Hammock
    Dutch/SLD/WB/DIY
    Tarp
    DWG/HG/SLD/UGQ/DIY
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    Quote Originally Posted by hangnout View Post
    ...Great looking version Kits!
    Thanks, hangnout.

Quote Originally Posted by scrope View Post
    Also, you mention commercial options. Do you have a link or two so I can see what you are trying to improve? Thanks for the information. I'm just not sure if I need to make one of these or not.
    NOT an improvement, just an attempt at expedient replication of function.

If you Google "triangle underquilt adjuster" I'm sure you'll find everything you need. I do have a link to a nifty DIY video an HF member made a while back...

https://hammockforums.net/forum/show...angle-Thingies

• + New Posts