Dutchware Chameleon Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    WB Thunderfly
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 20*
    Suspension
    June Bugs

Triangles on hammocks

What is the reason for sewing triangles onto the ends of a hammock? I see that they are on some hammocks that places sell (Chameleon, Sparrow) but then there are hammocks without the triangle on the ends (Darien). I see that many people link to Xtrekker's video on how to sew a bugnet onto a hammock, and his has a triangle. However, I wanted to know thats the main purpose for having them.

Hammock
    Dutch/SLD/WB/DIY
    Tarp
    DWG/HG/SLD/UGQ/DIY
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    The triangles over the ridge line at the ends of a gathered-end hammock typically act as zipper hoods that cover then ends of separating zippers on integrated bug nets or top covers.

On integrated-net hammocks with fully removable bug nets or top covers, such as the Dutchware Chameleon and various Dream Hammock models, these triangular zipper hoods neatly cover the termini of the separating zippers on either side of the hammock, allowing the user to access easily the zipper ends when installing or removing the net/cover.

XTrekker's integrated-net hammock design uses a permanently attached bug net with a zippered opening only on one side, similar to Dream Hammock's Darien or my own DIY Half Track hammock. When your bug net is permanently attached with the zippered opening running the full length of one long edge of the hammock body from sewn channel to sewn channel, zipper hoods become optional, since the user doesn't need to access the ends of the zipper track, which can simply be sandwiched into a bar-tacked pleat or fold immediately adjacent to the gathered channel. However, zipper hood can still be used for aesthetic reasons on permanently attached netted hammocks, if desired.

Smart graphic design for all your needs by BGD

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    WB Thunderfly
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 20*
    Suspension
    June Bugs
    Ok thanks. I've made 3 net less hammocks, 2 with a fronky bug net, and 1 with the ripstop by the roll zippered bug net kit. Now I want to try my hand at sewing the bugnet onto the hammock. I have been staring at my Chameleon and Darien trying to figure them out. I figured the Darien style without the triangles would be the way to go. Now I just need to figure out how to sew it together.

Hammock
    Dutch/SLD/WB/DIY
    Tarp
    DWG/HG/SLD/UGQ/DIY
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    Quote Originally Posted by arcana73 View Post
    Ok thanks. I've made 3 net less hammocks, 2 with a fronky bug net, and 1 with the ripstop by the roll zippered bug net kit. Now I want to try my hand at sewing the bugnet onto the hammock. I have been staring at my Chameleon and Darien trying to figure them out. I figured the Darien style without the triangles would be the way to go. Now I just need to figure out how to sew it together.
    If you're basically cloning a Darien with a one-sided zipper and a permanently attached net, just pleat the net and bar-tack the two hems of the hammock immediately inboard of the sewn channels at the gathered ends for approximately 2"-3". This will provide strength and a nice finished look, inside and out.

Smart graphic design for all your needs by BGD

With the Darien clone, would the rectangular bugnet just overlay on the rectangular hammock? Or would a hex-shaped bugnet overlay on the hammock? I am trying to wrap my mind around how the tapered ends of the bugnet fit nicely onto the hammock without excess fabric.

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    HG Dyneema
    Insulation
    HG UQ, Custom TQ
    Suspension
    Yes
    I got excited and thought Kitsapcowboy was back..

Hammock
    DIY: Arial bridge, WBBB XLC clone
    Tarp
    DIY 12' Winter
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Dutch stuff
    Years ago, a member named xtrekker had a video describing how he calculated the size and angle of the triangles at the ends of the hammocks. But those youtube videos are gone now. Anyone have any advise/guidance for that? Thank you!

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG DCF-All of them
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Kevlar + Beckett
    Images
    Here you go...

This is a template printed on 8.5 x 11.. I can email it to you if you'd like..

If I were to do it again, which I likely won't, I would do them in noseeum or Monolite, just to make it easier to see the sipper ends underneath.
    Yes, my pack weighs 70lbs, but it's all light weight gear....
    Bob's brother-in-law

Hammock
    DIY: Arial bridge, WBBB XLC clone
    Tarp
    DIY 12' Winter
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Dutch stuff
    Thank you! I wound up making my own, out of noseeum.

Can’t seem to find this answered anywhere: in terms of sewing the triangles, at the point where they overlap the zippers (single layer hammock, using the ‘Dutch triple stitched’ zipper sewing method), is it a case of sewing the zippers to a point, then inserting the triangles and then continue sewing? Does this also mean you sew the zippers and triangles before sewing up the short end channels (for the suspension)?

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast