Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Hennessy Hamock Supershelter Sale Feb 1 - 28

Looks like Hennessy is having their annual insulation sale, I'll be buying one. Should be good for the spring and early fall

https://ca.hennessyhammock.com/collections/insulation

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by biggie View Post
    Looks like Hennessy is having their annual insulation sale, I'll be buying one. Should be good for the spring and early fall

https://ca.hennessyhammock.com/collections/insulation
    I have now been using these, on and off, for over 11 years. In fact, I have had mine out the last couple of days. Still gets the job done. Still the only system, far as I know, that includes a wind/water proof proof layer as part of the cost and weight. Still one of the easiest to augment by placing whatever clothing not needed for sleeping down under the pad, for a very significant boost.

Hammock
    Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    DCF Winter
    Insulation
    DIY down UQ @ TQ
    Suspension
    Whoope
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    I have now been using these, on and off, for over 11 years. In fact, I have had mine out the last couple of days. Still gets the job done. Still the only system, far as I know, that includes a wind/water proof proof layer as part of the cost and weight. Still one of the easiest to augment by placing whatever clothing not needed for sleeping down under the pad, for a very significant boost.
    Same!
    Since I retired, some times I stay awake all day, some times all night.

Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    Ordered it, excited to see how it works!

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by psyculman View Post
    Same!
    Ordered it, excited to see how it works!
    Just don't forget to use the space blanket(sb), which I think has come with it the last few years. Failing to do that has led to many a bad result over the years, though you can sometimes get away with it. But I think the refusal to do that has greatly contributed to this being the least popular bottom warmth solution here, except mybe for the wonderful PeaPod. Does anyone here use a PeaPod? LOL! If it doesn't come with a sb, I suggest you order that orange one, can't think of the name. Quieter and more durable than the others, with very little added cost, and maybe no weight added, either are 2 or 3 oz max. I finally added some tiny snaps to my pad/sb to hold that rascal in place, works like a charm. All bottom insulation(pad,clothing, etc) goes under the sb, which goes under the hammock.

I am in a never ending years long battle between my bridge hammocks and various GEs, such as my HH Exp. UL/HHSS, my original hammock. I prefer the the never, ever, ever having to even think about calf ridge/pressure or side twist, of my bridges. And ease of set up, including in most cases set up of insulation (and no concerns about perfect RL lengths or sweet spots etc), of my bridges. I prefer the way my UQs wrap around the bridge in constant contact, head to toe, with little or no thought of adjustment, and knowing I can not or it can not get out of optimum position during the night(can't slip). Also, the TQs seem easier to manage, as the V or U shape of the deeper JRB bridges seems to act like a funnel, that makes my TQ easier to keep on top of me, less room for it to go towards the sides and open a draft. Works good.

OTOH, I prefer no spreader bars to keep up with and carry, no larger tarp to try to avoid contact with the spreaders, and still the most wind and water resistant system I have(i.e. HHSS) even if used with a small tarp. I love that the wind and wind blown snow/water resistance is part of the cost and weight carried. I have been considering finally buying a 2Q UQP for my bridge, to maybe get the best of both worlds. But my UQs already weigh as much or more than my HHSS, though they are probably a bit warmer if wind can be totally blocked. I suppose they would be significantly warmer with an UQP in the wind, but that will also add about 6 ozs. Pros and cons. Always a tough decision for me when it is time for a multiday hike. But all of these systems have worked well for me.

OTOH

Images
    I forgot to mention: seems like I remember some have said that this system was too bulky. If compared to a full length UQ rated to 30F or lower, and including an UQP( like the HHSS under cover ), I think they are in the same ball park:
    Last edited by BillyBob58; 02-05-2018 at 22:45.

Hammock
    Argon 11 ft or HH BKUL
    Tarp
    Asym DIY Pole Mod
    Insulation
    DIY, Jarbrige,HHSS
    Suspension
    Lashings
    Images
    The SS has made my summer hammock (HH Backpacker UL) a heavy duty winter hammock system. I think BillBob58 convinced me to try it.
    I supplement the SS insulation with a Jarbride 3/4 UQ or throw blanket when temps get below 40F (4.5C). Here's some info someone recently requested that may help:
    The Jarbridge (or a blanket) goes between the HH Undercover and foam pad. I have a Classic/bottom entry HH, so I only connect the Jarbridge suspension at the head end. I leave the foot end float free so I can get in/out easy and the Undercover keeps it in place.

Before you get in the hammock, make sure the Jarbridge is spread out flat and in the right place for where your shoulders to ankles will be. I have to tie a 4" loop to my Jarbidge suspension shock cord to extend it to the right position. If you have a zip model and connect both ends you won't have this issue.

More FYI stuff:
    Also, always use a space blanket on top of the foam pad - the SOL orange ones are much quieter than the $1 specials.
    I tie the 4 corners of the space blanket to the pad suspension (where it connects to the pad) and use a couple fabric clips along the space blanket/foam pad to keep the space blanket in place.

Also, if you lay a tee shirt or towel (something absorbent) on top of the space blanket (under the hammock) it will absorb any condensation so you won't be damp.

I find that when below freezing, getting into a sleeping bag (with hood) works best. The sleeping bag bottom insulation keeps you an inch or so off the hammock/space blanket. This is enough to get the most benefit from the space blanket radiated heat as well as its vapor barrier properties. If you have a fire - a hot water bottle is my favorite trick and back-up item (there is a post on HF on using a hot water bottle).

As always - spend a few nights at home first and try various combinations - winter camping can quickly go from 'camping' to 'survival' and knowing your equipment and options can save your behind.

Here's a link to the USA price (free shipping). Great prices - I paid $100 about 3 or 4 years ago during that Feb sale.
    https://hennessyhammock.com/collections/insulation
    Last edited by oldpappy; 02-05-2018 at 16:20.
    Enjoying the simple things in life -
    Own less, live more.

Hammock
    HH Expl UL, Chameleon
    Tarp
    HH Hex
    Insulation
    HG Econ 20 or HHSS
    Suspension
    Beetles n straps
    Works great if you use it correctly. I don't use the space blanket down to 50 and no problems. below that I would. It does get some condensation on cool wet nights so watch out for that.
    Only issue I ever had was when the mitton hook that connected the protector to your webbing broke allowing it to drop a couple of inches one night. I got the CBS for sure. Took morning light to figure out what happened. overall I say good 3 season warmth for the $
    Nec Aspera Terrent
    Lightfighter

Thanks for the awesome advice! I'm looking forward to it for sure. Probably won't do any winter camping this year as I have to invest in some more gear but early spring will be doable. The underquilt between the pad and the undercover is an interesting idea. I have a cheap onetigris that I might be able to use to supplement if needed.

Images
    Thanks for the awesome advice! I'm looking forward to it for sure. Probably won't do any winter camping this year as I have to invest in some more gear but early spring will be doable. The underquilt between the pad and the undercover is an interesting idea. I have a cheap onetigris that I might be able to use to supplement if needed.
    I started to say that early spring would be a better time than winter to start experimenting. But then I saw how far north you live! Your spring is probably worse than most of my winters!

Every one is different, but for me this has alway been a system for 30F and above unless I add a fleece jacket or something down below. But this will give you and idea what can be accomplished just by adding a very thin, very flexible pad(Exped Multimat) down under the HH OCF pad, with a light weight 30F bag between the added pad and the HH pad. This brave soul, on a trip with Shug, was very warm:
    https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...pershelter-27F
    Last edited by BillyBob58; 02-06-2018 at 00:45.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast