HH Expedition Classic
    Tarp
    Modified HH HexFly
    Insulation
    Bubble Pad
    Suspension
    Whoopie>Continuous
    Quote Originally Posted by biggie View Post
    Been trying to figure out how to test this system, I was thinking of building a stand but decided to try it in the garage tonight. Non-heated garage, it's going down to -20 c tonight. My family thinks I'm completely off my rocker... maybe I am but I think it will actually be a good test for my first try.

I will let you know how it goes
    I couldn't handle your weather. The only question I have about your test, will it be different than having a wind blow underneath you all night?

Images
    Been trying to figure out how to test this system, I was thinking of building a stand but decided to try it in the garage tonight. Non-heated garage, it's going down to -20 c tonight. My family thinks I'm completely off my rocker... maybe I am but I think it will actually be a good test for my first try.

I will let you know how it goes
    minus 20C? Isn't that about = to -4F or about? Talk about pushing it way beyond it's rating! Yeah baby!

How did it go? Did you do something to boost it? If not, and you didn't freeze, you are a hardy soul! Of course, you are Canadian! But, maybe even in yor non heated garage it was warmer than outside.

Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    minus 20C? Isn't that about = to -4F or about? Talk about pushing it way beyond it's rating! Yeah baby!

How did it go? Did you do something to boost it? If not, and you didn't freeze, you are a hardy soul! Of course, you are Canadian! But, maybe even in yor non heated garage it was warmer than outside.
    Unfortunately, I made the assumption I could manage it by tying it to the rafters, I suppose it would have been possible but I'd need a ladder to get in to it. Tomorrow I'm running out and buying some hardware to attach it to the walls. I'm guessing it will be 5 degrees warmer in the garage but it'll be a good test I think. I plan on using the space blanket and stuffing a sleeping bag under the foam.

Well it got down to -26 last night so I gave it a try. I stuffed a -12 c sleeping bag on the bottom with the foam and the sb on top. Then used a -12 c sleeping bag as a top quilt. I managed to sleep in there for 5 hours before I got too uncomfortable but was still relatively warm. I have to adjust the hanging position of my hammock, it isn't quite right. So much easier with trees.

Hammock
    Hennesey Explorer Deluxe
    Tarp
    MEC silnylon guide
    Insulation
    Super shelter kit
    Suspension
    Stock
    I have had a Hennessy with super shelter for many years myself. By itself I have been fairly comfortable down to -4 with a wind. Adding things like the sleeping bag or a quilt it is great at very cold temperatures.
    I use enlightened equipment top quilt rated to zero. I have 2 same so doubled up good to -lots.
    I plan to get an enlightened down under quilt maybe for next winter.
    Where in Canada are you? I just saw this thread today.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Hennesey Explorer Deluxe
    Tarp
    MEC silnylon guide
    Insulation
    Super shelter kit
    Suspension
    Stock
    Biggie
    I see you are in the Regina area. I’m in Smithers BC. Good Canadian winter this year
    I’m going camping next week near 100 mile house with a friend. It was about-30 there last night. This time we are using his canvas wall tent. I haven’t been in a tent on the ground in a long time. See how that goes. I’m bringing my Hennessy for backup.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Images
    Well it got down to -26 last night so I gave it a try. I stuffed a -12 c sleeping bag on the bottom with the foam and the sb on top. Then used a -12 c sleeping bag as a top quilt. I managed to sleep in there for 5 hours before I got too uncomfortable but was still relatively warm. I have to adjust the hanging position of my hammock, it isn't quite right. So much easier with trees.
    Holy cow, -15F? What a first test for, of all things, an HHSS! You crazy Canadians I guess, eh? Was your back or butt cold? If putting that much extra insulation in there, unless it is heavy enough to already pull the UC down, the elastics in the UC might compress the loft in the bag a bit much. One way to mod that is to sew a loop(but watch that warranty!) and hang something in a small sack from the loop to pull the UC down a bit. Or just put something with a little weight( a pad?) in the UC under the bag. But of course, being very careful not to add too much and cause a gap, better off doing nothingthan doing causing a gap!

Were you cold on top? Sounds like your top bag was a little light for the conditions, most especially if used as a quilt. One little draft or leak quilt style can make me cold!

Did you have a hood?

Did you get much condensation in the UC or on the sb down beneath you?

Regardless, way to go, what a first test! (My all time record in a HHSS or anything else was +6F. Hard for me to get any chance for colder than that. But at least I was plenty warm! Plus I'm southern, we can't take the cold like you maniacs!)
    Last edited by BillyBob58; 02-20-2018 at 18:31.

Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    Holy cow, -15F? What a first test for, of all things, an HHSS! You crazy Canadians I guess, eh? Was your back or butt cold? If putting that much extra insulation in there, unless it is heavy enough to already pull the UC down, the elastics in the UC might compress the loft in the bag a bit much. One way to mod that is to sew a loop(but watch that warranty!) and hang something in a small sack from the loop to pull the UC down a bit. Or just put something with a little weight( a pad?) in the UC under the bag. But of course, being very careful not to add too much and cause a gap, better off doing nothingthan doing causing a gap!

Were you cold on top? Sounds like your top bag was a little light for the conditions, most especially if used as a quilt. One little draft or leak quilt style can make me cold!

Did you have a hood?

Did you get much condensation in the UC or on the sb down beneath you?

Regardless, way to go, what a first test! (My all time record in a HHSS or anything else was +6F. Hard for me to get any chance for colder than that. But at least I was plenty warm! Plus I'm southern, we can't take the cold like you maniacs!)
    I dressed very warmly, I was wearing insulated pants as well as a winter hat/mask etc. I almost doubt I would have been cold even without the extra under insulation. Probably over-kill but I've never tried anything like that.

Hammock
    HH for now..chillax for winter
    Insulation
    Snugpak UQ
    Well I am ordering today but maybe I will try tonight with just the snugpak uq...supposed to be only -18C tonight. I will call this the "biggie challenge"
    Last edited by brucecorporal; 02-23-2018 at 20:27.

Hammock
    HH for now..chillax for winter
    Insulation
    Snugpak UQ
    So far so good !! Snugpak UQ and the Hennessy space blanket under my Costco chillax. I can't believe the heat radiating up already ! It's only -9C but a 25 kph wind..
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]161160[/ATTACH
    IMG_20180223_1852536.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by brucecorporal; 02-23-2018 at 21:37.

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast