Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Gdwelker View Post
    "adding the UQ between the foam and undercover worked better for me than between the foam/hammock. With my 'classic' bottom entry hammock and a 3/4 Jarbridge 3 season UQ, I just hook up the UQ head end and position the UQ to cover my shoulders to ankles. Sandwiched between foam pad/undercover it stays in place nicely and was toasty warm at 15F..."

This is what I have been thinking about. Could I add the HH foam pad between my HH hammock and my down UQ to allow me to take the system into lower temps than just the UQ?
    Thanks for bumping a somewhat older but still useful thread, Gdwelker! Interesting question!. It certainly won't hurt. The only thing is: your down UQ is probably a differential cut design, right? Meant to be snugged up solidly against the hammock(most are)? If you have it really snug, it will compress the open cell foam pad, and you will probably loose some of the pads insulation. But, I'm sure you will still pick up some more warmth, I'm just not sure if you will get all of the warmth of the pad. Sounds like a good experiment!

However, if you are using the entire HH system with the under cover and/or the space blanket, with your quilt wrapped around all of that, with the UC and/or space blanket working as a vapor barrier, your body vapor will be prevented from traveling into your down, contacting the cold shell or cold outer down, and then condensing into liquid water. This will keep your down much drier so that it will always be at max loft. It will also totally shut down evaporative cooling off of your back side. These together- even without the pad- will probably add 20*F to your warmth, with the added benefit of keeping that down dryer for longer trips. The pad may add even more.

Another way to go-as seen in the above posts- is to simply add that UQ inside the under cover, and under the pad and space blanket(on top). Just lay the UQ in the under cover, no suspension needed. Either spread out wide- single layer- or double layer, but still wide enough to cover your body. This will add the wind and rain/snow protection of the HH UC to the UQ. No worries about wind chill! Some people have already used such set ups way, way below zero F and been toasty. But just pay around and experiment, and you will figure out what works!

Images
    Addendum to above post: for people who are concerned that there will be too mich loft compression when putting a down uQ under an HH pad inside a HH UC, consider a simple mod: sew a few loops onto the outside of the UC, especially at the low point under the butt. Hang a small stuff sack with some sand or small stones or most anything with just enough weight to pull down on the UC, overcoming it's elastics, if needed, so as to not compress the down UQ too much. And please: use the space blanket or some VB clothing to prevent condensation happening in that UQ down in the under cover! And prepare to be warm!

Hammock
    WBBB/HH UL Backpacker
    Suspension
    Ti cinch buckles
    Super Shelter related, has anybody tried attaching the SS to a WB Blackbird? I have the HH Ultralite Backpacker+SS but also have the Blackbird. Was wondering since they're similar size hammocks. I don't have a garage or backyard to quickly go find out.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bereantrb View Post
    Super Shelter related, has anybody tried attaching the SS to a WB Blackbird? I have the HH Ultralite Backpacker+SS but also have the Blackbird. Was wondering since they're similar size hammocks. I don't have a garage or backyard to quickly go find out.
    I did, and if memory serves it worked just fine, with plenty of room, BUT, mine is the larger #2 HHSS made for the Explorer sized HHs. Not sure how the smaller model would work on that hammock. But I wouldn't be surprised if it still worked OK, with just barely enough room. You are probably going to have to do careful experiments when you have the opportunity. Just put it on the WBBB, then push down with your hands on the UC(careful not to poke hoes in the pad), and see if the under cover has the ability to stretch down below the hammock, and the UC is NOT actually lifting the unoccupied hammock. If all that looks OK, carefully get in and again check to see that the HHSS is not pulled tight enough to either compress the pad- should be just barely snug- and that nothing is in danger of damage. Good luck!

Hammock
    WBBB/HH UL Backpacker
    Suspension
    Ti cinch buckles
    This is great! Thanks for the setup tips, too. Hennessy doesn't list ridgeline lengths, but the difference in bottom fabric dimensions between the Expedition and the Backpacker are only a couple of inches in length. If I found anything pulling I'm sure it's nothing a little shock cord can't fix. This is good news as it allows me to work with options I already have.
    Last edited by bereantrb; 04-02-2019 at 11:27.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bereantrb View Post
    This is great! Thanks for the setup tips, too. Hennessy doesn't list ridgeline lengths, but the difference in bottom fabric dimensions between the Expedition and the Backpacker are only a couple of inches in length. If I found anything pulling I'm sure it's nothing a little shock cord can't fix. This is good news as it allows me to work with options I already have.
    You are welcome. And, right on, a little shock cord or even just plain cordage can fix a lot of different problems.

To be clear, my HH is not either a Backpacker or the similar length Expedition, but the longer Explorer UL, and the #2 SS built for it.

If memory serves, back when HH used to list RL lengths, the Backpacker and Expeditions had a 100" RL, while the Explorers had 108". The original WBBB has a RL of 101", so if my memory is right about the HHs, they will be very close in length. The fabric length and width spec for the Backpacker is 118"X59", the WBBB is 120X62. So, like you said, the size is pretty close, and I bet it will fit OK, if not, you can add a little slack by adding an extension cordage.

Let us know how it works, or doesn't!

Hammock
    Hennessy Deep Jungle XL zip + 2
    Tarp
    Hex
    Insulation
    HG UQ "et al"
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles etc
    Hi BB58...based on experience I am a newbie hammock person, based on age not so much anyways ordered Super Shelter system on sale for my classic entry Hennessy (one of three Hennessy -underquilts on others) and am having a heck of time getting open cell foam pad specifically back into stuff sack? Any hints seeing you been playing with this system for a long time. Thanks in advance.

Lou

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by dunbustn View Post
    Hi BB58...based on experience I am a newbie hammock person, based on age not so much anyways ordered Super Shelter system on sale for my classic entry Hennessy (one of three Hennessy -underquilts on others) and am having a heck of time getting open cell foam pad specifically back into stuff sack? Any hints seeing you been playing with this system for a long time. Thanks in advance.

Lou
    Hi Dunbustin!

I bet you are having some difficulty, it is not particularly easy to do. Which is why I never do it. Well, I have done it, by stretching it out length wise and folding it- if mem serves- in thirds, then rolling it up as tight as possible.

So, it can be done, but is a hassle not worth messing with for me. When I put my HHSS on the hammock once weather cools off a bit, I leave it on until it is to hot to stand it. For as long as it is cool enough to need something for my back, I either:
    1: Untie one end from the tree, and start stuffing the entire thing into my pack. Perhaps even leaving my TQ zipped up inside the hammock. Being careful to keep the under cover between my fingers and the pad, or just generally being careful not to poke a hole in the pad. But, it really doesn't harm function much if that does happen. Then, stuff other things into the pack on top of the HHSS and compress it right on down. The when ready to set up camp, I just pull one end out of the pack, attach to tree, walk pack to other tree and attach to the other tree. Now everything, both under insulation and TQ, is ready to go. Or:

2: I stuff the entire thing, TQ and all, into a large stuff or dry sack. Then I stuff that sack into my pack, compressing it as needed inside the sack, or strap it on the outside of my pack. Or:

3: I remove just the pad, and place it into a large dry sack that has some of my other "must keep dry" clothing in it, then compress that sack down as needed, and place in or strap on pack. Then, I usually have snake skins that I use to engulf both my hammock and under cover, and place in or strap on the pack.

All methods work great, and are vastly less work that trying to get that pad back into it's stuff sack, even if it can be done.

• + New Posts
  • Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678