Tarp
    Asym DIY Pole Mod
    Insulation
    DIY, Jarbrige,HHSS
    Suspension
    Lashings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    I forgot to mention: seems like I remember some have said that this system was too bulky. If compared to a full length UQ rated to 30F or lower, and including an UQP( like the HHSS under cover ), I think they are in the same ball park
    This was probably me. This is my 3rd winter using this system and I have not experimented with trying to remove and compress the foam pad.
    I saw where some folks found that the Open Cell Foam Pad (OCF) is easy to poke holes in, so I try to limit handling the pad by leaving it on and rolling the entire Hammock/SB/Pad/Undercover up (tarp is kept seperate). This is somewhat bulky, but very light, and about the size of a synthetic sleeping bag rolled up. My external frame pack has a place and strap attachment for this, so this bulky but light set-up is the only method I have tried so far.
    Using 'Dutch Clips' and rolling the HH/SS up (head end still attached to tree and starting to roll at the foot end) makes for a very easy set-up/pack-up in any weather.
    But, I do miss using the snakeskins when setting up in the wind/rain. Let us know what works for you.
    Here's the way the true expert uses it:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BJ9HZek74Sk
    Last edited by oldpappy; 02-06-2018 at 08:48.
    Enjoying the simple things in life -
    Own less, live more.

Hammock
    SLD Lair
    Tarp
    Gnarwhal Hex 12x9
    Insulation
    SLD UQ & KAQ TQ
    Suspension
    Straps & Buckle
    How about using the HH Radiant Pad in conjunction with the Super Shelter? Could use it inside the hammock, and deal with keeping it in place, or between the hammock and OCF, where it may be to rigid. Has anyone tried it? Thoughts?
    I THOUGHT GETTING OLDER WOULD TAKE MUCH LONGER.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by oldpappy View Post
    This was probably me. This is my 3rd winter using this system and I have not experimented with trying to remove and compress the foam pad.
    I saw where some folks found that the Open Cell Foam Pad (OCF) is easy to poke holes in, so I try to limit handling the pad by leaving it on and rolling the entire Hammock/SB/Pad/Undercover up (tarp is kept seperate). This is somewhat bulky, but very light, and about the size of a synthetic sleeping bag rolled up. My external frame pack has a place and strap attachment for this, so this bulky but light set-up is the only method I have tried so far.
    Using 'Dutch Clips' and rolling the HH/SS up (head end still attached to tree and starting to roll at the foot end) makes for a very easy set-up/pack-up in any weather.
    But, I do miss using the snakeskins when setting up in the wind/rain. Let us know what works for you.
    Here's the way the true expert uses it:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BJ9HZek74Sk
    It is indeed very easy to poke a hole in the HH pad, I have done it several times on my original pad. Before I knew better from experience. But 2 things: it is also not hard to avoid that once you are aware of the fragility, main thing is to just keep your finger tips away from uncovered pad. If stuffing it into a pack, make sure either the UC or something else is between your hands and the pad before putting pressure on it. Or, if you need to adjust or move it or pack it, again, just watch those finger tips, try to make most of the contact with the flat of your hand. The other thing is: it is not a very big deal if you do poke a hole(though obviously not a happy moment) because it just keeps on insulating, even if not patched the edges of the hole will meet in use, providing full insulation. Or, patch with a bit of seam sealer, or duct tape. My original(from 06) was really ugly from numerous patches, but still functioned perfectly many years later.

Then agai, I normally never remove mine either. In that picture, I had just put it back in it's original stuff sack just to show it could be done(both pad and UC). It takes a bit of practice to fold the pad up into the right size cylinder to get it into that small sack with out tearing it, but it can definitely be done. But I normally just stuff the entire thing either into my pack or a separate large dry sack to strap on the outside of a Molly Mack Pack. But the thing is, once it is in my pack or sack and then I put something else in there with it, and push down and start compressing it, it can be squeezed down that way just as small as if in it's original sack. That way, no risk of tearing it.

I have had a couple of new HHSS pads over the years, and have never poked a hole in the newer pads yet. Even if I remove and store in a dry sack. Because I know how easy it is to tear it, and I am just very careful. But a finger tip can go through one like a hot knife through warm butter!

Quote Originally Posted by millergear View Post
    How about using the HH Radiant Pad in conjunction with the Super Shelter? Could use it inside the hammock, and deal with keeping it in place, or between the hammock and OCF, where it may be to rigid. Has anyone tried it? Thoughts?
    I see no reason why that would not work perfectly. Especially if inside the hammock or an HH pad pocket designed for it( as in an HH DJ). Some one did say- years ago- that they tried to use that as a replacement for the sb, but it did not work as well as the original sb. Though I don't know why. But if not used to replace the sb, I don't see why it would not add a lot of warmth to the basic system, just as an added CCF pad in the hammock would. It does not seem to me that the HH rad. pad- used as designed- would interfere with the regular HHSS. But I don't know about adding it under the hammock on top of the OCF pad. If it is very stiff, it might interfere with how the HH pad wraps around you, and end up being a negative. But I do not personally know.
    Last edited by BillyBob58; 02-06-2018 at 17:10.

Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    I started to say that early spring would be a better time than winter to start experimenting. But then I saw how far north you live! Your spring is probably worse than most of my winters!

Every one is different, but for me this has alway been a system for 30F and above unless I add a fleece jacket or something down below. But this will give you and idea what can be accomplished just by adding a very thin, very flexible pad(Exped Multimat) down under the HH OCF pad, with a light weight 30F bag between the added pad and the HH pad. This brave soul, on a trip with Shug, was very warm:
    https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...pershelter-27F
    Lol yes it's darn cold here now -28 C last night. Late March or early April should start to get back to the plus digits

Hammock
    SLD Streamliner DL 1.1 Marpat camo
    Tarp
    AHE Shangri La
    Insulation
    JRB MW3 or HHSS
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by biggie View Post
    Looks like Hennessy is having their annual insulation sale, I'll be buying one. Should be good for the spring and early fall

https://ca.hennessyhammock.com/collections/insulation
    Wow, that's like 1/2 price. Quite a bargain.

The Double Bubble pad is only workable in one of the double layer HH hammocks that was designed for it. It would be a PITA to try to keep it in position in a single layer rig.

Here's my video comparing the two systems:

The OCF pad from my SS purchased in 2008 has a number of small holes in it, but the good news is small holes don't seem to impact warmth at all. All-in-all, it's a very robust design.

--Kurt
    My hiking/backpacking Youtube channel: Youtube

My BackpackGearTest reviews: Reviews

If you have an HH, then you should read my SuperShelter review: HH Super Shelter

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    HG Dyneema
    Insulation
    HG UQ, Custom TQ
    Suspension
    Yes
    These are now at the price they should be and should always be from now on.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Brooklyn View Post
    These are now at the price they should be and should always be from now on.
    I don't know, for those that like them the regular price might not seem all that far out of line, though I do think they have gone up quite a bit since I first bought mine back in 06, but so has everything else.

A 30F full length down UQ will run about $237 non sale price. The regular price of these would be about 180(160 for the regular). However, that is in Candian $, which is down a bit right now, so if I am not figuring it backwards that would be about $142 USD. non-sale price, $95 dif,that is a pretty good difference for those not having a lot of cash to throw at this business.

But, the down quilt does not include an UQP, which is a built in part of the system with the HH. That under cover is a huge plus when it comes to keeping wind out especially if not using a large tarp. So that would be another $45 or more, plus weight, right there. So that would get you up to $282 right there, making the price dif more like $140 after adjusting for Canadian $. ( I hope I am not doing the $ conversion backwards! )

So for those of us who find it works great to keep us warm into the low 30s, and who would enjoy the wind block of that UC allowing us to take a lighter, less expensive tarp if we want to, $142 USD might not seem all that outrageous. $85 OTOH, if you wanted one, a pretty big bargain!

But, the synthetic AHE Jarbidge at $100 is way more competitive, and I could see folks concerned about price wanting to make that choice instead. But, it is not full length, still does not include an UQP, and might be a bit more bulky than the HHSS. So even then, to me, $142 does not seem all that much out of line.

Hammock
    HH for now..chillax for winter
    Insulation
    Snugpak UQ
    will these super shelters work with the older bottom opening hennessy cocoon?

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by brucecorporal View Post
    will these super shelters work with the older bottom opening hennessy cocoon?
    Yes, if you buy the classic version, which has a corresponding bottom opening. All of mine(I have had several over an 11 year period) are of that type, and I use them with the zipper side entry model as well as the classic bottom opening models. The zip model will not work with a bottom entry hammock. Also, you have to get the correct size, smaller for an Expedition size, #2/larger size for an Explorer size.

Hammock
    WBBB/HH UL Backpacker
    Suspension
    Ti cinch buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by biggie View Post
    Looks like Hennessy is having their annual insulation sale, I'll be buying one. Should be good for the spring and early fall
    I saw this the other day and pulled the trigger. Delivered this morning. For $70 that's a fantastic deal for such a flexible system; worth it for the silnylon undercover alone given the options it gives you.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast