Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Suspended cot

Images
    Consider a 90 degree Amok or Gamma UL. Those are as close to a flying cot as you might ever get.

So my idea basically would be to loop a ratchet strap around 2 trees. I just tested this with what I had in the garage and there wasnt a ton of sag and it would be less if I was laying on a cot and not just sitting on 1 of the straps. Its obviously not a super light option, but the ratchet weights ~5oz so its not a huge weight penalty for being able to really tighten it. The issue would be everything holding. The ratchet strap is rated at 500lb working load, 1500 breaking. The webbing Id use is also 1500 breaking. Im not sure what type of force Id be putting on it, but I feel it would be less than that.

Quote Originally Posted by leiavoia View Post
    Consider a 90 degree Amok or Gamma UL. Those are as close to a flying cot as you might ever get.
    Im specifically looking to do a cot to bring the suspension as close to the ground as possible.

That sounds like a Porta ledge. If memory serves there was a member here with the moniker "treefool" who made stuff like that. He did it to hang way up high in trees but I don't know why it would not work lower down too.

Searching Treefool on YouTube brings up his channel and I think there is a DIY video in there somewhere on hacking a camp cot to hang.
    "...the height of hammock snobbery!"

Not really. It would be more like his diy bridge hammock he has earlier on, but everything tighter basically. Also more along the lines of this https://treefool.com/2014/08/27/the-...ammock-thingy/ but Id be going off of 2 trees.
    Last edited by backcountryhunt; 02-04-2018 at 19:20.

Hammock
    90' Hammock Tent, WBRR, DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba, DIY
    Insulation
    JRB UQ, EE 30F TQ
    Suspension
    UCR, Mule tape
    Images
    Building a hanging cot is certainly doable. I have built one recently, using this very clear 'Instructables' guide: http://www.instructables.com/id/How-...style-hammock/

I haven't actually hung mine yet but expect I will soon. Have fun building and let us know how it turns out!

The suspended cot reminds me of the founder of Scouting, Baden Powell, and a contraption he used when he was camping.

Baden Powell said, "Another form of tent which I used in Mafeking and South Africa, and still use for sleeping out in, in England, is one which you would hardly call a tent. It is really a slung cot, with a moveable canvas roof to it. It is called the 'Ashanti Hammock'. It packs up quite small, and is put up in a few minutes. Requires no pegs. Keeps you off the wet ground. And when the gale comes and all the tents in camp blow down, you lie there swinging gently in the breeze, the envy of all the rest. It also forms an excellent stretcher if you are ill and have to be carried; and if you die it also makes a very satisfactory coffin, being laced over you as you lie in it. Very complete, isn't it?

house.jpg
    Last edited by ag1024; 02-05-2018 at 17:12.
    / \ /+\
    | ||
    |-|| ___
    | ||
    | | \__|

Hammock
    WB Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    Generic green tarp
    Insulation
    No-sew PUG
    Suspension
    WB Cinch buckle
    Packs up quite small is clearly a relative term

Quote Originally Posted by Sirenobie View Post
    Building a hanging cot is certainly doable. I have built one recently, using this very clear 'Instructables' guide: http://www.instructables.com/id/How-...style-hammock/

I haven't actually hung mine yet but expect I will soon. Have fun building and let us know how it turns out!
    There we go. Thats what I am looking to make.

So just a few ramblings ...

I plan on using a ratchet to tighten the straps, or using a combination of climbing rings, carabiners, or loops to create a pulley system to really tighten the cot up. Im considering doing a short section of strap, maybe 6in to a foot, at the end of each corner with a climbing ring to help it break down further so I can keep wet and sap covered suspension separate, as well as being able to change the suspension easier and act as a water break. Im hoping I can get away with just using webbing by using the tree width and tension to keep it from sagging too much from the sides. Im not sure how I want to attach it/make suspension length adjustments. Thinking maybe just knots.

Thoughts on doing cat cuts on the cot to help firm it up? Add some additional webbing across the middle?

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast