Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Suspended cot

Suspended cot

So I had an idea to put together something that would function like a cot and be suspended between 2 trees. I guess my reasons for it would be to run more of a smaller ground shelter w/ stove, but remain off the ground. I sleep horrible on the ground(maybe I just need to upgrade my pad) but more importantly flat spots are usually pretty rare where I camp. So I was thinking of running a strap the whole length of the "cot" and possibly have it continue out for the tree strap. Or have loops at the ends and running some amsteel to a tree strap. Im not sure how tight I would be able to get it and though making some pockets or putting some grommets along the strap and using sticks for some support to keep it from tipping and sagging. The vast majority of trees out here are wider than what the cot would be so I feel like there should be decent stability, but the sagging would probably be the biggest issue. Anyone have any suggestions, see potential problems, etc?

Hammock
    Chameleon and a Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    UGQ WD 12'
    Insulation
    downy goodness
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Images
    You could probably make it work. One of the main things I can think of is cots are canvas. It might rip. A Warbonnet Ridge Runner might be an more trustworthy option. 20160708_152704.jpg
    “I am losing precious days. I am degenerating into a machine for making money. I am learning nothing in this trivial world of men. I must break away and get out into the mountains to learn the news”
    ― John Muir

I wouldnt be trying to suspend a store bought cot. Im thinking that Id probably use a mid-heavyweight fabric completely outlined with webbing.

Hammock
    ridgerunner
    Tarp
    superfly
    Suspension
    buckles
    A hanging cot is leaning towards a bridge hammock. Why not get a netless Ridgerunner and be done with it?

Id want to bring the suspension more parallel to make it work with certain ground shelters.

Hammock
    Hybrid 1.7 GE, Happy Medium Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY Xenon Winter
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    All of them! Ugh.
    Images
    Bridges generally use less suspension angle than GE's. 20-25*.

Hammock
    Hybrid 1.7 GE, Happy Medium Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY Xenon Winter
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    All of them! Ugh.
    Images
    Are you talking about a cot in the sense that it has a perimeter frame, with suspension to the trees from all four corners?

Hammock
    G-Bird II/Bridge
    Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    Bridge hammock.
    Lightweight tarp.
    You still need trees always and deal with insulating the cot/hammock.
    The forces put on a suspended cot are big. The bridge hammock has these under control.
    Be careful with your diy.
    Ambulo tua ambulo.

Quote Originally Posted by sqidmark View Post
    Are you talking about a cot in the sense that it has a perimeter frame, with suspension to the trees from all four corners?
    There wouldnt be a frame if possible, but yes. There would just be webbing along the perimeter, and then possibly a way to add sticks as legs to help reduce sagging if there isnt enough tension.

I already have a full hammock setup, so Im really not looking to just get a bridge hammock as it doesnt really achieve what I would like. It would be a relatively cheap test so if this idea doesnt work it doesnt work and I wouldnt be out much.

Hammock
    Chameleon and a Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    UGQ WD 12'
    Insulation
    downy goodness
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Images
    I don't think a cot could withstand the pressure of being suspended they way you are describing while holding weight. You're going to end up on the ground anyway. You could put posts in the ground at the four corners and suspend each corner from those, but if you do that, you might as well just use the legs of the cot. There's a lot of physics working against you. The same physics folks who make bridge hammocks have designed their hammocks around. What you are describing is essentially a bridge hammock.
    “I am losing precious days. I am degenerating into a machine for making money. I am learning nothing in this trivial world of men. I must break away and get out into the mountains to learn the news”
    ― John Muir

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast