Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Newbie from Oklahoma

Hey everybody!

I'm new to the Hammock Forums, and frankly new to hammocking all together. I've have spent years in the outdoors, hunting, fishing, backpacking, and even got into a little bushcrafting over the recent years, but have recently decided I was tired of sleeping on the ground. Been doing a lot of research on sleeping in a hammock, and of course watched a lot of YT videos, which ultimately led me to this forum. I've heard a lot of great things about this group and look forward to learning a lot from all of you that have tons more experience in this space.

My current setup is an ENO hammock, cheap 12' x 9' tarp, and a sleeping bag... I know, not the best. I am investing in quality gear over the next few weeks, and looking to upgrade the hammock, top and under quilts, strap setup, new tarp, etc. I certainly wanted to get some feedback and check out the forum before making those purchases, to ensure I am getting the gear that I really want moving forward.

Nonetheless, looking forward to jumping feet first into the conversations and getting to know more of you!

--LC

Hammock
    Towns-End
    Tarp
    WB, Towns-End, UGQ
    Insulation
    LSOH, JRB, UGQ
    Suspension
    Straps & Buckles
    Images
    Hello and welcome from Northern Arkansas! Be sure to ask any questions you have. Don’t be afraid to go slow, take your time, weigh your options, then buy what YOU think fits best! If you could find a local hang, it would be great too, as you could get some hands on experience. The cottage Gear talked about here on the forums I believe to be the best there is! My gear has included Arrowhead Equipment, Dream Hammocks, Dutchware Gear, ENO (I have moved past them now, lol), Hammock Gear, Little Shop of Hammocks, Jacks R Better, Loco Libre, Simply Light Designs, Warbonnet, And Wilderness Logics. All quality, all worth your consideration! Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by Peppy View Post
    Hello and welcome from Northern Arkansas! Be sure to ask any questions you have. Don’t be afraid to go slow, take your time, weigh your options, then buy what YOU think fits best! If you could find a local hang, it would be great too, as you could get some hands on experience. The cottage Gear talked about here on the forums I believe to be the best there is! My gear has included Arrowhead Equipment, Dream Hammocks, Dutchware Gear, ENO (I have moved past them now, lol), Hammock Gear, Little Shop of Hammocks, Jacks R Better, Loco Libre, Simply Light Designs, Warbonnet, And Wilderness Logics. All quality, all worth your consideration! Good luck!
    Hey Peppy, thanks for the warm welcome. Great info and I definitely will look into all of those shops you mentioned. I certainly want input before making any purchases, one of the main reasons I decided to jump on the forum here and hopefully learn a lot from those that have been doing this for much longer than me obviously. Looking forward to soaking up all the information that I can.
    --LC

Hammock
    WB BB XLC
    Tarp
    WB SuperFly
    Insulation
    UGQ Zepp / Renegad
    Suspension
    buckle straps

welcome from NE Oklahoma

Welcome from NE Oklahoma. Wish we could do an OK state hang. This is a great community of friendly and knowledgeable people who are all passionate about hammocks and related topics. You will find a wealth of tips and suggestions here.

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by whistle_norvell View Post
    Welcome from NE Oklahoma. Wish we could do an OK state hang
    You guys should check out Spiguyver Backpacking on youTube as he just recently moved to Oklahoma.

Hammock
    Towns-End
    Tarp
    WB, Towns-End, UGQ
    Insulation
    LSOH, JRB, UGQ
    Suspension
    Straps & Buckles
    Images
    I love a nice bridge hammock or a good 11’ gathered end. Always had issues with shorter stuff. I use a 0 degree Underquilt year round, except when I’m hiking big mileage in weather above 40 degrees. I have a few topquilts and just use the one appropriate for the weather. I do give myself a 10 degree buffer (if it’s 30 degrees I use a 20). If I could only have one TQ it would be a 20 or 30, very versatile and can be vented easily when too warm. If I could have one UQ it would be a 0 or 20. I tend to get cold from the bottom, but overheat when my TQ is too warm. Lots of folks like Hammocks with separate bugnets. I like that, but prefer integrated nets. Anyhow, lots of folks here who know much more than I do! Gathering gear is half the fun!

Hammock
    WB BBXLC, DH, DIY, GT Hybrid
    Tarp
    Etowah Outfitters
    Insulation
    HG TQ and JRB UQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopies
    Welcome from SW Missouri

Hello LC0307, Welcome to HF and hanging in general. I encourage you to research and ask the experts, who on this forum are very helpful. I believe you will find that hammocking is a very individually selective form of sleeping or relaxing. Enjoy the experience and have fun.

Quote Originally Posted by whistle_norvell View Post
    Welcome from NE Oklahoma. Wish we could do an OK state hang. This is a great community of friendly and knowledgeable people who are all passionate about hammocks and related topics. You will find a wealth of tips and suggestions here.
    Hey! Thanks for the warm welcome, and I am definitely finding out very quickly this place is full of great people willing to help out. An OK state hang would definitely be a good time if that was something that got put together, I would certainly be interested. I am really looking forward to soaking up some great info on here, and learning more about the gear I need, tips and tricks, etc. from all those who have much more experience than me. Thanks again for the welcome and I look forward to speaking with you more hopefully.

--LC

Quote Originally Posted by TrailSlug View Post
    You guys should check out Spiguyver Backpacking on youTube as he just recently moved to Oklahoma.
    Hey TrailSlug, thanks for letting me know! I've actually been following his YT channel (among others) for a while and just recently noticed he was in this area by the location of some of his recent videos. Maybe one day I'll be able to meet up with him and get some pointers or something, he is just around the corner from me in the North OKC area.

--LC

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast