Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Hammock
    Towns-End Luxury Bridge
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyroler Holzhacker View Post
    Would i be able to use a similar tarp and UQ on the Biggy Deluxe as on my DH sparrow GE hammock? For the record, I currently use a 42"x77" sized 20 degree UQ and an 12' ridgeline mac cat ultra tarp with doors. Hopefully I won't have to invest in another tarp and UQ. The draumer is intriguing, but would be more $$$ for complete exped air mattress and tarp/suspension system. I may be able to use my dutchware beetle buckles and poly straps for suspension though.
    There are several folks making a 12' tarp work yes. With the ARL adjusted down a bit it can go to a 11'6/11'9" apex to apex distance.
    If you are coming from a RR (where your suspension hangs out and you are used to using driplines) some people use an 11' tarp and let the lines hang out.
    A few of the bigger guys are looking at 13' tarps. (like the 13' winterdream).

A Winterdream with dual pole mods seems to be the preferred full coverage option/favorite thus far.
    Exactly how that compares to the Mac Cat I can't say... but the doors will help seal things up.

It all depends on you... I have one customer who uses a 10'x10' square tarp in a diamond pitch and feels coverage is great but I'd say he's an outlier.

Quilts seem very personal and the hardest issue.

Yer friend and mine Johnny Gunz uses a little pick me up at the center of the quilt to the RL to get a seal.
    Some of us just put on a regular GE UQ with no modification and use that.
    A very small minority seems to have found no solution- just being honest.

I don't have a custom sized quilt to fit it, and one issue I think is that with roughly 8' of 'bed' you can use there are so many different ways to sleep in it that quilts can be an issue.

These bridges are very flat and open. So it's more like cowboy camping than a GE. You are not getting a full wrap up the sides and double coverage like you would with your TQ.
    The simple thing to say... they are 'colder' than you are used to. That can be a great thing for my southern customers (though not this winter!). But a bridge is harder to insulate than a GE overall if you are coming from a hammock.

Folks like me who come from the ground... It's not really any different than cowboy camping. I like that actually.
    But if you are looking for that bundled in a cocoon of down gathered end goodness... I'll be the first to tell you that is a limitation to this bridge.
    You get a big, wide, flat bedspace and multiple sleep positions. That comes with some trade-offs.

Like any other gear.... I'd try the base hammock itself in fair conditions before I went too nuts on it.
    So in that regard- you got a 12' tarp with doors and an UQ. That's enough to get you started inside or outside when things warm up a bit.
    If all goes well as you go through spring/summer then consider investing in more gear if it's 'the one'.
    If not... don't trick it out right off the bat.

The only 'custom' thing you need is a bug net, so I did develop that ASAP.
    In testing most of the testers and early adopters eventually found a way to make tarps, UQ's or Pad's work well enough for now so those have been low on the priority list.
    80% of the folks are very happy. 15% are good enough and only 5% had a bad enough experience in some way that they gave up. That's pretty good in my book for a new product... so as things grow so will the other options.

Long story short... it didn't become such an issue I needed to stop and fix it. The glaring problem at the moment is simply making the bridge itself in volume.

Hammock
    Towns-End
    Tarp
    WB, Towns-End, UGQ
    Insulation
    LSOH, JRB, UGQ
    Suspension
    Straps & Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyroler Holzhacker View Post
    Would i be able to use a similar tarp and UQ on the Biggy Deluxe as on my DH sparrow GE hammock? For the record, I currently use a 42"x77" sized 20 degree UQ and an 12' ridgeline mac cat ultra tarp with doors. Hopefully I won't have to invest in another tarp and UQ. The draumer is intriguing, but would be more $$$ for complete exped air mattress and tarp/suspension system. I may be able to use my dutchware beetle buckles and poly straps for suspension though.
    Currently I use a Loco Libre Habanero (44x80), a Jacks R Better Mount Washington 4 (42x77), and a JRB Greylock 3 (42x56) and have no issues! I sometimes use a cord in the middle to lift it up a bit, but haven't had trouble without either. When setting it up, your mind (or maybe it was just mine) will tell you it won't seal up, but it does! I've also used a HG Incubator, a WL Winter UQ, and a UGQ Zeppelin! Easy pease once you get over the mental stuff! Kinda the same with a tarp. Definitely prefer a larger tarp with the Biggie or Luxury bridge, but an 11' works pretty well with the mediums. There are also a couple of DIY tarps (NOT my design) that I'm using that actually attach to the hammock itself that I'm having great luck with! The bottom line is, if you'll fiddle with it and figure it out, most gear is adaptable to the Towns-End bridges!

Hammock
    Hammock Envy S
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    HG INCU. 0*
    Suspension
    whoopie
    Yeah, I'm going the need one of these bridges.

Hammock
    Towns-End
    Tarp
    WB, Towns-End, UGQ
    Insulation
    LSOH, JRB, UGQ
    Suspension
    Straps & Buckles
    Images
    If you do and need any tips, post here and we’ll be glad to help out! I struggled mostly with tarps early on, but it’s an awesome hammock!

Hammock
    Town's End bridge
    Tarp
    MWG Membrane Sil
    Insulation
    AHE KAQ/Thermarest
    Suspension
    straps/buckles
    Images
    UGQ Winterdream 12 tarp fits perfectly, can fully button it up. I usually only use tarp pullouts on one side when backpacking (had them placed halfway down the sides, like a Cloudburst), but the stock width spread is perfect for this recessed bar bridge. Still experimenting with HG Incubator/Exped pads

Are dimensions of the hammocks anywhere here? As a comparison the the RR.
    I know closing the Superfly doors on a RR can be tricky, but some have adapted the dogbone lengths to remidy that.
    (Looking at the UGQ Winterdream right now)

Ken in NC
    I collect vintage camp stoves.
    I roast coffee at home.

Hammock
    JustBill's Biggy Deluxe
    Tarp
    WB Super Fly
    Insulation
    Zepp/LL Ghost Pepr
    Images
    The widest part of a big bridge is the head end bar. I think it's 36" IIRC.
    But for the grace of God, there, I go...

Thanks, I was thinking more in the way of determining future tarp purchases. I do see that the UGQ Winterdream 13 fits these hammocks well.
    I collect vintage camp stoves.
    I roast coffee at home.

Quote Originally Posted by Just Bill View Post
    The glaring problem at the moment is simply making the bridge itself in volume.
    And that, folks, is how you know you have a successful product!!

Hammock
    Hybrid 1.7 GE, Happy Medium Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY Xenon Winter
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    All of them! Ugh.
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Gunz View Post
    The widest part of a big bridge is the head end bar. I think it's 36" IIRC.
    The head end of the BB and Lux are 43", the foot is 36". Both ends of the Med are 36".

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast