HH Expedition, HH Explorer Dlx
    Tarp
    Noah 12, BCUSA 10
    Insulation
    JRB Nest, Old Rag
    Suspension
    Stock HH w/rings
    Images
    I am glad to see another vendor joining in. While it does look to be a basic set up and yes, the vendors here can do much better, REI joining in can only help hammocks become a more acceptable solution for camping. Some folks will buy it, love it and never move along to anything else. Others will buy it, hate it, and be done with it. That is called HYOH

BTW, each of us are very different as to our comfort in hammocks. I have a lot of various different hammocks. Everything from HH (Explorer and Expedition) to a 12' DIY with many in between. My own preference is my HH because it fits me well, no fiddling to set it up (I do not like nor want to fiddle with set up but I know others do), and after having a Mod4 done actually love the bug net.

Hopefully the REI solution will bring in more hammock users and hammocks will gain better acceptance in some of the parks where we are not welcome to hang now.
    Deb
    TOS Terms of Service Link
    Guidelines to New For Sale Section Link
    How to obtain access & maintain your threads in For Sale Section Link
    Guidelines for Want to Buy (WTB) Section
    Hammock Acronyms

"The older I get, the more I appreciate my rural childhood. I spent a lot of time outdoors, unsupervised, which is a blessing." Barbara Kingsolver

Hammock
    Mood Dependent
    Tarp
    Weather Dependent
    Insulation
    Just Dependent
    Suspension
    Beckett Up Pardner
    Images
    Just echoing dkurfiss and others by example

Honestly REI indirectly lead me to hammocks years and years ago. I ran into the Hennessey rep at our Canoecopia show one year while I was running some inventory through for him. Was really intrigued but didn't have the cash to pick one up during the show. So a couple months later I went up to REI and picked up the backpacker asym just to save on shipping. This was back in 2002. I loved the concept but hated the bottom entry and at the time the solutions to CBS. 8 years later I tried again but another visit to REI showed the same lacking products so that lead me to here, Shug and the Warbonnet Black Bird. REI did help me dip my toe in and because I had a real interest pursue better options. If they would have had this at the time I may have tried it, then found this place and moved on to the Black Bird :P However they did embrace Hennessey very early on and as someone else said I'm sure they would carry more of the hammocks we love ie warbonnet, the cottage vendors simply can't meet the distribution demands for a large chain store. They probably also don't want to, they're generally independents for a reason.
    Once you're lost in twilight's blue, you don't find your way, the way finds you.

Hammock
    Half-wit (3 season), Chameleon (win
    Tarp
    Superfly, Thunderf
    Insulation
    EE Revelation 20*,
    Suspension
    Whoopie!
    REI is a gateway drug.

Ok, I will admit it.
    I got my first hammock, Hennessey Expedition bottom entry, at an REI garage sale. I joined this forum. I did not like the comfort, and so I went to the Hot Springs Hang that year. They said I had it right.
    I then went on the stronger stuff, I got an ENO One Link, at the garage sale, and it also was not a fit.
    Stronger stuff, I had more tolerance, was a WBBB, then a WBBB XLC, and a WBRR.

Thank you for letting me share.

Ken in NC
    I collect vintage camp stoves.
    I roast coffee at home.

Hammock
    Mood Dependent
    Tarp
    Weather Dependent
    Insulation
    Just Dependent
    Suspension
    Beckett Up Pardner
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by snwcmpr View Post
    Ok, I will admit it.
    I got my first hammock, Hennessey Expedition bottom entry, at an REI garage sale. I joined this forum. I did not like the comfort, and so I went to the Hot Springs Hang that year. They said I had it right.
    I then went on the stronger stuff, I got an ENO One Link, at the garage sale, and it also was not a fit.

Ken in NC
    rotfl
    Once you're lost in twilight's blue, you don't find your way, the way finds you.

Senior Member Tyroler Holzhacker's Avatar
    Hammock
    DH DL Sparrow/SL Darien
    Tarp
    MacCat/WBSuperfly
    Insulation
    LL/JRB/DIY down
    Suspension
    MSH/Whoopies/strps
    Images
    If not for REI, I wouldn't have gotten into hanging at all. Went from the ENO double nest to the Kammok Roo, to the DH Sparrow, and will probably wind up with some more before all is said and done. At least I was able to return the ENO and the Roo back to REI for someone to snag them at the next garage sale, and put that money into a proper cottage hammock system! Until REI sells UQs and proper hammock tarps, though, they aren't going after the hardcore hangers, just introducing the gateway drug that is hammocking! Also SHUG's videos, and the HF community have indeed been a great educational and entertaining resource that allowed me to delve more deeply into this $$$$ rabbit hole called hammocking.

Hammock
    SuperiorGear or Dutch netless
    Tarp
    custom pentagon
    Insulation
    down hammock or UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Images
    Just before I got into hammocks, I was looking for a solo shelter to replace my 2-man tent... and actually, it was an REI salesperson that suggested I try a Hennessy hammock. I scoffed, LOL. It took a bad night a few months later in said 2-man to get me to reconsider that suggestion. Glad I did! I didn't buy it there, though, got it in Whiteblaze for sale section.
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

Hammock
    WBBB , Halfwit, Chameleon
    Tarp
    Superfly, HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Yeti HG20 EE40
    Suspension
    Woopies
    I too was lead to the light through REI. I bought an Eno as an Xmas present to myself a few years ago.I spent the winter watching Shug videos and reading on here, and by the time it was warm enough to motorcycle camp I had a Blackbird and Superfly and the Eno was returned to REI without even using it. Still, if it wasn’t for REI having the Eno in the store I wouldn’t own 4 hammocks today and be heading off on an AT thru attempt in two weeks.....

Not that I’d ever buy their new hammock, but looking forward to the video review and hope it is the gateway for more people to discover the wonderful hammock cottage companies.

Hammock
    Half-wit (3 season), Chameleon (win
    Tarp
    Superfly, Thunderf
    Insulation
    EE Revelation 20*,
    Suspension
    Whoopie!

REI's new gathered end hammock - what do you want to know?

Quote Originally Posted by Khs777 View Post
    I too was lead to the light through REI. I bought an Eno as an Xmas present to myself a few years ago.I spent the winter watching Shug videos and reading on here, and by the time it was warm enough to motorcycle camp I had a Blackbird and Superfly and the Eno was returned to REI without even using it. Still, if it wasn’t for REI having the Eno in the store I wouldn’t own 4 hammocks today and be heading off on an AT thru attempt in two weeks.....

Not that I’d ever buy their new hammock, but looking forward to the video review and hope it is the gateway for more people to discover the wonderful hammock cottage companies.
    Good luck on your thru. Are you documenting it?

I’ve seen a K777 on YouTube.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by snwcmpr View Post
    Ok, I will admit it.

Ken in NC
    Add Bonefire to the list.

But, I can quit any time.
    I have not had to go so far as to make my own.
    I am only using items available 'over the counter'.
    No bootlegging for me.
    I do not have to hide any hammocks from anyone.
    I am 'In Control'.

( I recently ordered more Bling from Dutch)
    Last edited by snwcmpr; 02-06-2018 at 20:39.
    I collect vintage camp stoves.
    I roast coffee at home.

• + New Posts
  • Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast