Dutchware DL Hexon 1.0
    Tarp
    WB Minifly
    Insulation
    LL SS Serrano 20
    Suspension
    Becket Hitch

UHMWPE vs Spider Web 2.0 Tree Huggers

Hello all, does anyone have any experience with Dutches new UHMWPE tree straps vs. his Spider Web 2.0 straps? They looks very similar in weight but why would someone choose one over the other?

Your title says huggers but your text says straps. Those are two different things so I will answer about straps. The method for attaching UHMWPE straps and Spider straps are different. With the UHMWPE you need to use a marlin spike or some other type of hitch. With the Spider straps you use hardware such as the Mantis or carabeners for attachment. Some like knots, some like hardware.

ETA: Rereading your post I misread and was answering about the Spider daisy chain webbing. The main difference between the UHMWPE and Spider webbing is color and possibly weave tightness. Neither are good for hardware use.
    Last edited by grubbster; 02-01-2018 at 07:59.

Hammock
    Dutchware DL Hexon 1.0
    Tarp
    WB Minifly
    Insulation
    LL SS Serrano 20
    Suspension
    Becket Hitch
    Sorry about the straps vs. huggers confusion, I should have been more consistent with my wording haha.

I am trying to replace my current tree huggers with a lightweight alternative and was looking for help in picking between the UHMWPE and the Spider 2.0 materials.

Hammock
    11' 1.2 Robic XL
    Tarp
    Misc DIY ones
    Insulation
    Downy Goodness
    Suspension
    UHMWPE Straps
    Images
    Both are UHMWPE (generic dyneema) material. One is blue and the other is black.
    73 de W4BKR

Not all who wander are lost... - J.R.R. Tolkein
    ...Besides, if we get lost, we just pull in somewheres and ask directions - Captain Ron

The ever striving gram weenie...always updated with the next trip

Hammock
    Hybrid 1.7 GE, Happy Medium Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY Xenon Winter
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    All of them! Ugh.
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Wanderlost View Post
    Both are UHMWPE (generic dyneema) material. One is blue and the other is black.
    Actually, one is blue, the other is white. Blue is 2.0gr/ft, white is 2.4. I'd like to know the actual width of Dutch's white dyneema. I have some from the other guy on ebay that's only .910" wide. The Spider daisy chain I have is .990". Since I use this stuff with beetle buckles I'd much rather have as close to a full inch as possible. I think the 2.0 is a little thin for buckles, but I don't have any so can't try it.

Hammock
    11' 1.2 Robic XL
    Tarp
    Misc DIY ones
    Insulation
    Downy Goodness
    Suspension
    UHMWPE Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by sqidmark View Post
    Actually, one is blue, the other is white. Blue is 2.0gr/ft, white is 2.4. I'd like to know the actual width of Dutch's white dyneema. I have some from the other guy on ebay that's only .910" wide. The Spider daisy chain I have is .990". Since I use this stuff with beetle buckles I'd much rather have as close to a full inch as possible. I think the 2.0 is a little thin for buckles, but I don't have any so can't try it.
    You’re right. I misread. I thought he was carrying Dutch’s straps to Ripstop by the roll’s. Ripstop’s are black.
    73 de W4BKR

Not all who wander are lost... - J.R.R. Tolkein
    ...Besides, if we get lost, we just pull in somewheres and ask directions - Captain Ron

The ever striving gram weenie...always updated with the next trip

Hammock
    Dutch Half-Wit/EnoS7
    Tarp
    HG CF w doors
    Insulation
    LL TQ / EE UQ
    Suspension
    Spider w Becket
    There are something like 3 of these out there - Dutch's 2.0 is blue and is 2.0g/ft, the RBTR is black and is 2.2g/ft and MyersTech Hammock Lab is white and is 2.4g/ft
    I have the blue and white. and just ordered a black. I like the blue and white so far but for different reasons. I go ultralight with my gear and so when backpacking I take the blue. The white has a tighter weave. Both of the straps do tend to wrinkle and crunch and are very slick to the touch. They both also self heal and so far I have not had any problems with snagging. None of the above are advisable for buckles. I use toggles but usually just do a straight Becket hitch (again for the weight watching)

If you are counting grams then any of these are what you are looking for. If you want something lightweight but are not a stickler for extra hardware go with the Spider Daisy Chain or the Dyneema Polypro.

Hammock
    Hybrid 1.7 GE, Happy Medium Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY Xenon Winter
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    All of them! Ugh.
    Images
    This past weekend I did get the chance to visually compare RBTR's Venom with MyersTech 2.4 and Dutch's Spider chain. The width of venom and spider chain appear to be virtually identical, with the MyersTech narrower.

It was noted that the venom appeared to be thinner along one edge than the other. It felt to me more like one edge had a slight burr along it's length, as if it had been cut off a wide roll with a hot slitter. I have NO idea if that's even possible, never mind true. Maybe the sample I saw was just a fluke?

I just picked up some of the venom webbing and, I see what your talking about. It does look like it has a melted edge. It seems so lightweight, you would thinks it is fragile. I am worried that it may roll over and cut in to the tree. I wish I could find some 2 in wide uhmwpe and not have to use the kevlar 2 in. The more I hang the more I lean toward the 2 in. It seams to leave no mark at all on the tree. Unlike the 1 in strap or huggers that on some trees you can see just a little mark on the bark.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Hammock
    11 Ft Dutch Hexon 1.0 Sidezip
    Tarp
    12 ft HG Quest
    Insulation
    3/4 Phoenix20
    Suspension
    Spiderpolybeetles
    I use the standard old fashioned Dutch black polyester strap with my new Dutch Beetle Buckles because I feel like it is easier to adjust them as compared to the newer black/white strap.The black ones are slightly heavier but I don't care when it comes to function.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast