Hammock
    Dutchware DL Hexon 1.0
    Tarp
    WB Minifly
    Insulation
    LL SS Serrano 20
    Suspension
    Becket Hitch
    To Urduja, still working out the mechanics of this forum app.

Interesting, so are you attaching your whoopies to your huggers via a becket hitch or going directly to the continuous loop?

Hammock
    Dutch Half-Wit/EnoS7
    Tarp
    HG CF w doors
    Insulation
    LL TQ / EE UQ
    Suspension
    Spider w Becket
    Quote Originally Posted by onlysmallexplosions View Post
    To Urduja, still working out the mechanics of this forum app.

Interesting, so are you attaching your whoopies to your huggers via a becket hitch or going directly to the continuous loop?
    I go directly to the continuous loop. I can't remember where I first saw the youtube video and people have slight variations, but I put a larks head on the continuous loop attach that on the strap (I find that it tightens enough for me to do adjustments) Don't sit on it at this point - the larks head holds the weight of the hammock and quilts only. Then when I get it to where I want everything, I tie it up with the Becket. The video I originally saw, the guy put the becket on the wrong side - make sure to put it around the continuous loop so that the knot sits under larks head. same concept of the toggle where you sit the whoopie on the knot and not on the toggle. I do not use whoopies in my set up. I am having a really hard time remembering where I read stuff to properly cite all of this, so if someone can please confirm - I read whoopies are something like 3g per foot. So, any of the straps above are lighter than whoopies. Which is why I just take the straps. Pros and Cons in either scenario so you need to see which cons you are willing to pay for the pros.

Hammock
    Dutchware DL Hexon 1.0
    Tarp
    WB Minifly
    Insulation
    LL SS Serrano 20
    Suspension
    Becket Hitch
    Gotcha, thanks for the information and advice. I completely get the impulse to go with just straps for weight savings, I just worry that my lack of experience with getting my suspension hung correctly will result in lots of tying and untying haha. Now I just have to convince the wife that i'm not crazy for wanting another set of straps!

Hammock
    Dutch Half-Wit/EnoS7
    Tarp
    HG CF w doors
    Insulation
    LL TQ / EE UQ
    Suspension
    Spider w Becket
    Quote Originally Posted by onlysmallexplosions View Post
    Gotcha, thanks for the information and advice. I completely get the impulse to go with just straps for weight savings, I just worry that my lack of experience with getting my suspension hung correctly will result in lots of tying and untying haha. Now I just have to convince the wife that i'm not crazy for wanting another set of straps!
    lol. that is what all the backyard practice is for. I put a little knot at the end of the strap to have a grip point to tug it out. and... Valentine's day is around the corner

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    I have lots of daisy chain types - ENO Atlas Straps, Kammok Python Straps, Dutch's Spider straps and his woven straps. They all appear to work the same. At the tree end, you can wrap and put one end through the closest loop to hold it around the tree (no additional hardware at that point), or you can use something like a Dutch Clip or Carabiner. The hardware makes it easier to adjust the height of the loop when you are fine-tuning the suspension. But if you use a carabiner, make sure the stress is NOT sideways against the gate.

At the hammock end, the hammock is attached to the daisy loops with a carabiner. But this summer I'll experiment with Dutch's Mantis clips.

You can use the Marlin Spike and whoopies with these chains, but the point if the loops is NOT to need additional adjustment gear.

Amazing but true, moving just one loop up or down can make a feel-able difference in comfort. So it's nice that Dutches loops, on his woven and spider straps, are closer together than other "chain" products. With that 3 inch or so loop distance and a couple of small amsteel loops or dog bones, I can dial-in about as good as a continuous suspension (webbing, line or whoopies).

The only eyebrow raise with Dutch's chains - and it is a feature for those who are looking for the Lightest and least expensive - is there is no slack in the loops. That is, when the strap is pulled tight - under tension - the loops close up. So if you have a hammock "pre-assembled", with your UQ attached and your TQ inside, and you are connecting to the loops, there can be just a little more work to spread the loop so it will take the biner or whatever hardware hook you have in mind. On the other hand, if you leave the carabiners in the loops, at the desired distance from the ends, then you are just clipping the hammock to the biners - easy-peasy.
    Last edited by cougarmeat; 02-10-2018 at 14:47.

Hammock
    Hybrid 1.7 GE, Happy Medium Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY Xenon Winter
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    All of them! Ugh.
    Images
    I'm not sure how you're differentiating between "woven" and "spider", but both of Dutch's chain webbing are woven. Poly and spider.

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    In this post I was describing a difference that was my error in perception. So I edited out the text but cannot delete the post - hence this note.
    Last edited by cougarmeat; 02-10-2018 at 14:46.

Hammock
    Hybrid 1.7 GE, Happy Medium Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY Xenon Winter
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    All of them! Ugh.
    Images
    Well, I'm no expert for sure and certainly Dutch can have the final say, but from his website...

This unique Daisy Chain is made from Spider webbing instead of polyester giving it the ultra light advantage. It has interwoven 3” loops and is made from UHMWPE coming in at 4.89 grams per foot.

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    You are correct Sir! I looked more closely at the connection on the spider and what I thought were stitching bars were in fact were one color was "woven" into the other (blue and black in my case). It doesn't look like I can delete my previous posts but I can go back and edit them.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12