Bear butt 10 ft gathered end
    Tarp
    Chill Gorilla 12'
    Insulation
    HG econ 30 degree
    Suspension
    Chill Gorilla

New to hammock backpacking

Hey all, been a hammock forums viewer for awhile but finally made a profile this week. Just wanted to introduce myself, I am fairly new to hammock backpacking. I backpacked a fair amount in my late teens early 20s but thought I didn't have much time for it. Now I'm getting pretty close to my 30's with 2 kids and another on the way and I've been looking for an adult hobby (man they are expensive to get into. ). I've tried archery, golf and other random things. Didn't really catch. So late 2016 I stumbled upon Shug, sintax77, Outdoor gear review, and Outdoor adventures with Frozen. I got the itch to backpack again on top of that also to try this hammock camping out.

So as I assume most of you can relate or can remember being a young family, gear came in slowly but surely. I went the route of budget gear just in case this hobby fell through! Well it hasn't yet I've slept out side a fair few times and i've really enjoyed it!

I live in SE Nebraska and there aren't a ton of trails for backpacking near me but there are a few that work for shake down hikes. I am really lucky to have great in-laws up in the twin city area so there are a ton of selection up there as well. My wife got me a HG Quilt and UQ for Christmas and finished up my essentials and gear list just recently.

So this is my experience I really want to share with you all, mainly for a good laugh and encouragement for any more noobs like me! I went out this last week for a 10 mile overnighter about an 1 hour away from home. It was 54 for a high and 38 as a low with no chance for rain. (notice that was the extent of my weather research, noob mistake #1). So I went out and the trail was awesome it felt great, even with the mud and muck still had a blast hiking! Came across the first camp site at mile 2.5 and it was probably 1530 hours at this time. I thought man this view isn't the greatest and I bet I could hike to the next site before sunset. Now the trail map for this location was pretty poor, no mile markers and no topography, but i'm a runner and a day hiker I figured no matter what I could reach the next site before the light was gone. Well I got to where the sit was supposed to be but all I saw were burnt down trees. ( Turns out it was from a controlled burn). Well it was about 1700 hours now and I knew I wasn't going to make it to the next site. I hiked back about 5 minutes to a fork in the trail, one stayed on the trail i was on, another branched to another trail that led to the road (remember this trail for later!) the other led to adirondack. I headed to the the adirondack and set up camp. I heard from the ranger that I had the park completely to myself so I figured I wouldn't bother any adirondack hikers by setting up next to the shelter. Well this was an amazing spot, could see the Missouri river to the East and the sunset to the west. Well it was on the top of a decent hill(noob mistake #2). A fair amount of trees.

Well I am all set up and it was about 1800 hours and started boiling my water and poured it into a freezer bag of knorr pasta with a packet of chicken. Noob mistake #3 i didn't let it set long enough and so it was pretty crunchy still. Didn't have a pot cozy and it got pretty cool pretty quick. Well I was hungry enough I ate it anyways. Hung my food bag and crawled into the Bearbutt hammock with my HG econs keeping my warm! Started reading my book and as I was dozing off when the WIND picked up...The thing I didn't look at during weather research. Well I looked to see how long the wind was going to last and it was only increasing throughout the night. My noob self was on the top of a hill and my tarp and hammock were whipping around it was too loud to fall asleep! At 2100 hours I tore down the set up and moved into the adirondak. It looked like I wasn't the first hammocker to set up in there because there were lag eye bolts in the studs(similar to my basement were I hang my hammock). I set up in there and was cozy, fell asleep relatively quickly. About 3 hours later I felt my dog nudging my backside under my hammock, semi-conscious I gently swiped under my hammock 2 or 3 times not feeling anything... then it dawns on me.... my pups at home with the wife and kids. I still feel the nudging and I concluded that a shelter critter(definitely bigger than a mouse) has found a warm place to hang between my underquilt and my hammock! I flipped out of my hammock walked around the camp site real quick and decided I didn't want to share my sleep set up, so I tried in the wind to reset up outside again. With the wind going like it was and weather still clear of rain I left the tarp off. Wind was 30 mph and shooting some decent gusts at this time and I wasn't getting close to falling asleep again. Pulled out my trail map and looked at the previous fork and looked at the other trail and it was a straight shot out to the road which led back to my trustee little Honda Accord. Packed everything up and at 0130 hours I hiked my way back to my car. Had my head lamp on with a spare set of batteries and in less than an hour I unbuttoned my foot box of my quilt and laid down in the back seat of my car. I got my sunrise still just in the back of a little car.

I know I made a hand full of mistakes, and it wasn't the best first solo backpacking trip but I feel like I learned a lot about my gear and my current skill set and I'm excited to get back out and try it again. I will make a pot cozy, practice setting up my tarp in different ways and set up in a better sheltered spot next time! Funny enough the day after all this I watched a video of Shug's that said one of the best thing about hammocks is you can set yourself up out of the wind! Had to laugh at myself!

Hope you all enjoy this rather lengthy post!

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    Welcome to Hammock Forums (officially). As long as you lived to tell about the trip it was a good one. I'm 57 and I learn lessons each time I venture out. Thanks for the story and again welcome. You should've at least let that poor rat stay with you as he was most certainly cold and found a great place to sleep that night

Hammock
    Towns-End
    Tarp
    WB, Towns-End, UGQ
    Insulation
    LSOH, JRB, UGQ
    Suspension
    Straps & Buckles
    Images
    Hello and welcome from Northern Arkansas! Thanks for the story, and the reminder to do your homework before a trip! Glad it worked out!

Hammock
    Chameleon wide
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    JRB Wash4;H.Sierra
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Thanks for sharing your story. I think that we can all see parts of our own personal history in your ordeal -- except, perhaps the critter between your under quilt and hammock! The point is simple: learn from your mishap and continue to hang outside as often as possible. Welcome to the forum!

Hammock
    11 Ft Dutch Hexon 1.0 Sidezip
    Tarp
    12 ft HG Quest
    Insulation
    3/4 Phoenix20
    Suspension
    Spiderpolybeetles
    Welcome to the forum.Enjoyed your adventure.Hindsight is always 20/20.What sort of night do you think you would have had at the first campsite had you stayed there?Was is more sheltered from the wind?You made the right decision to bail when the rodents got friendly.I can't believe people actually sleep in shelters but I have seen it with my own eyes.

Hammock
    Hammocktent 90*, Sparrow, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    light & waterproof
    Insulation
    Ongoing experiment
    Suspension
    Ongoing experiment
    Welcome to HF. I was born in Beatrice, lived in Fairbury, and spent the summers on my Grandparents and Uncles farms around Steinaur/Pawnee City area. Thank God, via my parents, who carted me off to Montana when I was ten. But I still have a lot of good memories of the farm and the Little Blue River dam at Fairbury (I was a regular Huck Finn as a pup). Still have a boat load of relatives around the area. I will actually be heading back to the farm with my siblings and their progeny for a family reunion next June.

I'll let you in on a little secret. The 'learning' experiences never cease as long as you are game to go. In fact we usually manage to dig ourselves in a bit deeper as we push the boundaries for fun and games. I'm confident Shug and Syntax77 would say the same.

Enjoyed hearing about your adventures. Welcome to the forums.
    "...the height of hammock snobbery!"

Hammock
    ENO Double, Hennessy Expedition
    Welcome to the forums and thanks for sharing that story. That was quite a first night out! Experience is a good teacher though, so you’ll be ready for a great hang next time you can get out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    DIY TCF Sage Green
    Tarp
    Noah's Tarp 12x12
    Insulation
    MAMW TQ, UGQ UQ
    Suspension
    webbing/whoopies
    Images
    Hello and welcome from Marietta GA. Experience is the best teacher and you gained a LOT of experience in just one short trip lol, good job making it through! Now that you're outfitted it's time to start outfitting the wife and kids =) Happy hanging!

Hammock
    SLD 10' MTN 1.2
    Tarp
    HG Standard DCF
    Insulation
    Enigma/Phoenix 20
    Suspension
    UHMWPE
    Greetings from Northeast Kansas. Enjoyed your story and glad you made it through. The fact you viewed this journey as a shakedown hike shows me you are ahead of the curve. Most of us have made a ton of mistakes, and making them near home with a nice exit strategy is so much better than finding things out in a remote location. You are now wiser.

Keep the journeys coming.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast