Hammock
    Autumn Outdoor Gear
    Tarp
    SLD Trail Duster
    Insulation
    LSOH
    Suspension
    Autumn Ultralight

Adirondacks Backpacking trail recommendations.

Hello everyone. I've not backpacked in the Adirondacks before and I am planning a trip in May. What are some good trails that you would recommend? I'm looking at Avalanche Pass to Lake Colden.

Thank you.

Hammock
    ENO- D N
    Tarp
    Equinox-Egret 12sq
    Suspension
    eno straps
    A lot of trails here . Do some research, pick an, area, start point etc. Go for it , and ENJOY. Tut

Hammock
    11' Chameleon
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie slings
    Images
    Avalanche Pass to Colden Lake is beautiful, but expect lots of company. If you don't get to the parking lot at Adirondak Loj early enough you'll be parking on the road, possibly a good distance away. If you're looking for solitude I always recommend staying away from the High Peaks. West Canada Lakes and the loop around them is one of my favorites.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    WB Edge
    Insulation
    AHE 3S New River
    Suspension
    Adj. webbing
    Quote Originally Posted by Coldautumndays View Post
    Hello everyone. I've not backpacked in the Adirondacks before and I am planning a trip in May. What are some good trails that you would recommend? I'm looking at Avalanche Pass to Lake Colden.

Thank you.
    Are you getting air dropped at Avalanche Pass, cause you have to hike in to get to the pass!!? That's one of my favorite spots in the ADKs and I'm not alone so it's busy. Check out the Northville Placid Trail.

How much time do you have? And what's your fitness level? Looking for summits?

Hammock
    Autumn Outdoor Gear
    Tarp
    SLD Trail Duster
    Insulation
    LSOH
    Suspension
    Autumn Ultralight
    Quote Originally Posted by ADKGuy View Post
    Are you getting air dropped at Avalanche Pass, cause you have to hike in to get to the pass!!? That's one of my favorite spots in the ADKs and I'm not alone so it's busy. Check out the Northville Placid Trail.

How much time do you have? And what's your fitness level? Looking for summits?
    Thank you all for the replies. I will have 4 days for the trip and my fitness level is pretty good. My max day that I have done is 20 miles in the Alleghenies.

This video is what peaked my interest in the area.

Hammock
    Autumn Outdoor Gear
    Tarp
    SLD Trail Duster
    Insulation
    LSOH
    Suspension
    Autumn Ultralight
    Quote Originally Posted by georgecarr View Post
    Avalanche Pass to Colden Lake is beautiful, but expect lots of company. If you don't get to the parking lot at Adirondak Loj early enough you'll be parking on the road, possibly a good distance away. If you're looking for solitude I always recommend staying away from the High Peaks. West Canada Lakes and the loop around them is one of my favorites.
    Thank you so much for the recommendation! I will check into these trails.

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    WB Thunderfly
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 20*
    Suspension
    June Bugs
    If you are planning on going Memorial weekend: good luck. The crowds are about as busy as waiting for a ride at Disney. However, the scenery is amazing. If you really want to go, go during the week. Make sure you bring bug spray, wear long sleeves and if possible bring some netting to wear over a hat in case the black flies are out in force. If you are planning a backpacking trip, there is a nice campsite between Marcy Dam area and Avalanche lake: avalanche camp. It's away from the crowds at the Dam area and you are less likely to have some idiots leaving food out for the bears to visit camp.
    Also, when you pass Avalanche lake and head to Colden, take the trail along the Opalescent River. The scenery along that path is just as great as the pass.
    When I did the pass for my first time last year it was covered in mist. It was still breathtaking. I plan to go back this year.
    [AIMG][/AIMG]
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    Dutch Netless -n- Summer Sock
    Tarp
    Superfly / Noah 12
    Insulation
    Jarbridge, blubber
    Suspension
    Cinch -n- Whoopie
    Yes, expect some company on the trails. There are several well used trail heads Adirondack Loj, Elk Lake, AMR, The Garden...

But one of the slightly lesser used is Upper Works. You can access Colden Mt via the Calamity Brook Trail. And the road into Upper works also has an earlier/longer/less traveled trail head for the Opalescent river. I have been able to park at Upper Works on Columbus Day - arguably as busy as Memorial Day.

If you are new to ADk a few tips:
    • In High Peaks area bear canisters are required by DEC
    • Glad you are hammocking, 'cause on a busy weekend flat tent friendly sites are rare. You can camp anywhere 150' away from trail, road or water and below I think 3000'
    • State lean-tos are shared up to 8 people. So if you get there first and I show up - move over buddy!
    • In High Peaks area, no camp fires.
    • If you are interested in hard core rock scrambling Google Colden's Trap Dyke. Not for the faint of heart.
    • Bring a way to treat water and pay attention to where you see it while on trail. Some of the peak trails get rather dry.
    • ADK's have a nasty 'black fly' season which varies a bit year to year.
    • I get all my ADK maps from CalTopo.com. I carry map, compass and phone with GPS
    • Can get chilly any time of the year.
    • Even if you're day hiking - please bring along some essentials (flashlight, extra clothes, etc). We regularly finish a trail (or start) at night.

It is truly a beautiful place to hike and enjoy the outdoors. We canoe ADKs in the summer and are working on the High Peaks the other three seasons.

Happy to answer additional questions.

Hammock
    DH T-BIRD - SL 1.8 poly
    Tarp
    HG CF 4
    Insulation
    LeighLo/HG
    Suspension
    Adj web, whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by georgecarr View Post
    Would agree. If you're going on a weekend, even friday early, you will need to be there bright and shiny to be in the parking lot. There is a lot of pressure in the high peaks but beautiful. One of my favorite places to backpack. Lake Colden has a lot of bear activity. I have gone through avalanche pass and then up feldspar to some campsites. sites fill up but less pressure for hammockers unless they've implemented new rules about designated camp spots since i've been there several years ago. Feldspar is a nice approach to day hikes up marcy and skylight
    John aka Suede

Hammock
    11' 1.6 Hexon
    Tarp
    D.I.Y. 12' winter
    Insulation
    cool weather
    Suspension
    Poly. S.S. Beckett
    Images
    I recommend joining the DEC newsletter. they are always updating trail conditions and closures. Lot's of good recommendations for a good hike.

Sample of last e-mail...

DEC High Peaks Region Weekly Bulletin - 11/16/17
    11/16/2017
    Current Conditions in the High Peaks Region
    Compiled on November 16, 2017
    Backcountry Information for the High Peaks Region
    Please be advised of the following conditions and prepare for them to ensure a safe and enjoyable outdoor recreational experience.
    Weather forecasts and conditions can and do change quickly.
    • Check the current National Weather Service Forecast and be prepared for the forecasted conditions.
    • Carry extra clothing, equipment, and supplies in case of an unanticipated overnight stay.
    Practice Leave No Trace: Please abide by the Seven Principles of Leave No Trace when recreating in the High Peaks Region. Protect the lands and waters of the Adirondacks that awe and inspire.
    Cold Wet Weather: Below freezing temperatures are forecast Thursday night through Saturday morning and overnight Saturday. Rain, snow, and mixtures of rain & snow are forecast through the weekend.
    • Avoid hypothermia, be prepared for wet and cold conditions with:
    o Rain gear
    o Layers of non-cotton clothing -- and carry extra.
    o Hat and gloves or mittens.
    • Carry a headlamp or flashlight on all hikes.
    o Be sure to have fresh batteries and carry extras.
    o Do not depend on your cell phone as a flashlight; the batteries will drain quickly and you will be unable to call for help.
    Trail Conditions: Trails are a mixture of mud, water, snow, and ice in the lower elevations, and snow and ice in the higher elevations.
    • Wet or icy leaves can be very slippery; use caution when walking on leaves – particularly on steep sections of trail.
    • Wear proper footwear, including traction devices.
    • Due to recent high winds, expect to encounter blowdown (fallen or hanging trees, limbs and branches) on trails.
    • Walk through mud and water – not around – to protect trailside vegetation and prevent further erosion of trails.
    • It’s not hiking (or fun) if your hiking shoes don’t get muddy!!!
    Summits: Temperatures will be colder, winds will be stronger, and snow and ice will be present.
    • Wear a jacket or coat (outer shell) that blocks wind when on summits or other exposed locations.
    • Carry extra layers of non-cotton clothing to wear on the summits.
    • Check the National Weather Service Mountain Point Forecasts for selected summits.
    Hunting Season: The regular big game hunting season is open. Many small game, and waterfowl hunting seasons are or will soon open.
    • Hikers should be aware that they may meet hunters bearing firearms or archery equipment while hiking on trails.
    • Please recognize that these are fellow outdoor recreationists with the legal right to participate in these activities on the Forest Preserve.
    • Hunting accidents involving non-hunters are extremely rare.
    NOTICES
    Mr. Van Lean-to: A large tree has fallen on the lean-to on the Mr. Van Ski Trail, causing severe damage and rendering the lean-to unsafe and unusable. DEC is working with partners to evaluate the extent of the damage and the requirements and timing of repairs.
    Phelps Trail: Several sections of the trail in the Upper Johns Brook Valley contain extensive amount of blowdown (fallen trees, limbs, and branches). Please use caution when hiking in and around this area.
    Elk Lake Trails: The two trails through the Elk Lake Easement lands connecting to the High Peaks Wilderness and the Dix Mountain Wilderness are closed to the public through the regular big game hunting season. The trails will reopen on Monday, December 4.
    Cold Brook Trail: The Cold Brook Trail between Indian Pass and Lake Colden is no longer a designated trail and is not maintained. It has not been a designated trail since Tropical Storm Irene devastated the trail in 2011.
    Blueberry Horse Trail: Blowdown has been cleared from the trail between the Calkins Creek Horse Trail and Ward Brook Horse Trail in the Western High Peaks and the trail has been "brushed out" (trailside vegetation has been trimmed). The work was completed over the past two years with considerable effort from the DEC Ray Brook Trail Crew and the Student Conservation Association High Peaks Backcountry Stewards. The trail is once again passable to horses and riders; however, riders should take care near drainages and several stream crossings that will be muddy. DEC plans to improve the trail tread of this route in the future.
    Bradley Pond Trail: A new section of this trail to Sanatanoni Mountain has been constructed near the beginning of the trail to avoid the two crossings which had unusable bridges. The new trail section leaves the old trail just as the trail leaves the gravel road and crosses Santanoni Brook on a newly constructed bridge, and then joins the old trail a short distance later. The project was a combined effort of NOLS Alumni Service, the Student Conservation Association (SCA) Adirondack Program, SCA High Peaks Backcountry Stewards, the DEC High Peaks Trail Crew, Adirondack 46ers Volunteer Trail Crew, the NYS Department of Corrections and Community Supervision Moriah Shock Camp crews and DEC Lands & Forests staff.
    Calamity Brook Trail: The high water bridge over Calamity Brook has been repaired. Although it leans slightly, it is usable for crossing. The lean will be corrected at a later date. The repairs were completed by SCA High Peaks Backcountry Stewards, a DEC Forest Ranger and the DEC High Peaks Wilderness land manager.
    Owls Head: The trail across private lands to the summit is closed to public access and use on weekends, but remains available for public use on weekdays. Please stay on the trail and avoid trespassing on private lands.

• + New Posts