Made myself
    Insulation
    The one I made
    Suspension
    Yup, made ‘em
    Images

Medieval Style Hammock

Quote Originally Posted by SanderTel View Post

I am aware of the hammock as a thing wasn't introduced until after the discovery of America in 1492. Vikings did discover the America's much earlier
    The Americas were “discovered”? People were already living here, many of whom were actually sleeping/giving birth/being buried in their hammocks.
    I sew things on youtube.
    I don’t sew on commission, so please don’t ask. Thanks.

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    DIY (Olive Oyl)
    Insulation
    [allergic to down]
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jellyfish View Post
    The Americas were “discovered”? People were already living here, many of whom were actually sleeping/giving birth/being buried in their hammocks.
    ding! ding! ding! ding!
    we have a winner!

Images
    What does that entail being a donating member ??
    From the home page look on the far right border about half way down. You will see a donation box.
    To have access to all the Donating Members folders it cost 10 buck per year.

Here's a current thread with some pro's and cons about being a HammockForums DM.
    https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...oin-the-forums

I hope this link works.
    https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/payments.php
    Last edited by OutandBack; 01-28-2018 at 23:58.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Eldorado (Dream-Tex)
    Tarp
    ThunderFly
    Insulation
    Wooki, Diamondback
    Suspension
    DW June Bug Buckle

Medieval Style Hammock

Chainmaille wasn't used like that (you obvious know that) but more importantly the weight of those items is too high to have carrying around to just be there for cosmetic reasons. I believe back in the day virtually nothing existed just to be pretty (apart from curtain types of females maybe)
    Also chainmaile was expensive, a budget I do not intend to throw at this project. I will use leather (harvested from an old couch), wool, linen and most likely silk. Hemp, linen, silk and jute for cordage and webbing.
    Lol, no I just meant a fabric with a printed pattern on it that RESEMBLES a chainmaille. Like the ones from RSBTR. Maybe that specific suggestion isn't to your liking, but keep the idea in mind that you can now get printed outdoor fabrics. Possibly as a means to help create an illusion.

Hammock
    WBRR/WBBB
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Lynx/Zeppelin
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images

Hammock Forums has always had a strict rule against political and religious posts. This has normally applied to issues that most members can agree are contentious...gun rights and carry laws, differences in religion, political elections and candidates, etc. As we've said several times, this isn't about First Amendment rights but about keeping this particular site respectful and on-topic.
    Do what needs to be done when it needs doing.

Hammock
    Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    WinterDream
    Insulation
    HG & Loco Libre
    Suspension
    Dutch CRL w/ Tatos
    On the bug net I will probably have little choice but to use a modern fabric for that, which is fine.
    What? You're not going to weave a bug net out of horse-hair?

Good luck with your project.

Wayne

Hello John,

I have just opened a new Facebook page for this project. Not much has been posted yet but anything I feel is relevant to the foot journey will be posted here: https://www.facebook.com/jutetheanglosaxon/

regards, Sander Tel.

If you use linseed oil for waterproofing, won’t linseed oil plus linen fabric spontaneously combust? Maybe just before it dries? Linseed oil is the oily rags we were warned about as kids. I know of multiple local fires in the last couple years started by linseed oil soaked rags spontaneously combusting over night from finishing floors during the day (and most people use polyurethane for that nowadays.)

YAWN !
    Last edited by SanderTel; 02-04-2018 at 07:00.

Quote Originally Posted by DrPhun View Post
    If you use linseed oil for waterproofing, won’t linseed oil plus linen fabric spontaneously combust? Maybe just before it dries? Linseed oil is the oily rags we were warned about as kids. I know of multiple local fires in the last couple years started by linseed oil soaked rags spontaneously combusting over night from finishing floors during the day (and most people use polyurethane for that nowadays.)
    Yes absolutely, rags soaked in linseed oil CAN be dangerous, so is crossing the street. If you read the article you are referring too more thoroughly you will read this fire and spontaneous combustion happened when the rags in question were left on the treated porch bunched up tightly.
    When large areas of the rag(s) are not being able to vent the heat which curing linseed oil puts out (exothermic chemical reactions have that property) the heat build up can cause the temperature reach high enough beyond the flashpoint of the linseed oil.
    But: As long as the cloth is aired well, hung so that it is exposed on all sides to (preferably cool or even if possible cold) air and not being allowed to become bunched up (stuck together, twisted up by the wind or the like the likelihood of any accidental fire starting is far less then getting hit by a car crossing the street...

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast