11' 1.6 Hexon
    Tarp
    D.I.Y. 12' winter
    Insulation
    cool weather
    Suspension
    Poly. S.S. Beckett
    Images
    Just click the donations link at the top. pay $10 with paypal for 1 year, $15 for 18 months, or $20 for 2 years. You can snail mail if need to.

Hammock
    DIY ROBIC
    Tarp
    OES MacCat SilPoly
    Insulation
    down bag, Klymit
    Suspension
    Kevlar+Str.Anchors
    Second others' recommendations for silk -- it is very insulating while being lightweight. Silk and wool alternating layers is an old technique for insulation (not sure how old).

Also down -- it is a natural fiber, after all, though I'm not sure at what point it came into general use. You could pretend to be an inventor of new camping gear in 1066.

Cotton, I don't think, was all that common...? Would imagine linen or even hemp fabrics were more popular for basic clothing.

Hammock
    DIY ROBIC
    Tarp
    OES MacCat SilPoly
    Insulation
    down bag, Klymit
    Suspension
    Kevlar+Str.Anchors
    You might also check out the Society for Creative Anachronism for examples and advice.

Quote Originally Posted by Phantom Grappler View Post
    You might need a serf to help carry your gear. This can be fun, going back in time, researching ancient ways of material usage.

This rig is gonna get heavy real fast---
    Sander, if traders and explorers had gone to China before twelfth century---hammock, tarp and insulation and rigging ropes could be Silk---
    And as long as we're having fun, would a Lady Sherpa Guide be close enough to be historically accurate?

I think silk can help keep your base weight low enough for you to carry on your travels

Good luck Sander

Great photos, send more, thanks!
    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mr. grappler, I really like your approach on procuring help and the kind you propose is rather tempting but the object of my travels is to find the piece and quiet largely found in a solo journeying scenario. I do not intend to exclude any company at any stage of the journey but a omni present Sherpa (even though we are talking of the pleasant looking female variety) sounds very much like company... Same goes for pack animals which pose a similar (responsibility) problem and would become a mayor issue when I need to embark the ferry from Calais to Dover... Not to say this could become very interesting even faster but maybe next time... ;-)

Yes the inventor clause or even the wizard-made clause have been tried before to and largely were not accepted...
    general consensus is that as long as these potatoe police officers can not see something to b**ch about they most likely will leave it be.
    So a self inflating matrass covered by a (ikea if need be) wool cloth and larded with matching sheep skin is perfectly fine...
    Mostly these people will show you the proof on there cellphones which defeats any purpose of b**ching about historical accuracy in the first or even second place.
    Again: historical accuracy is very nice, good and well but a good nights sleep away from southern English damp and cold forest floors is always better... ;-)

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    OzTrail???
    Insulation
    Tentsile sky pad
    Suspension
    DIY single line
    How about some tablet woven strapping.

You could use silk for strength/weight ratio.
    Also down duvet.
    I believe they had then in medievil england

Quote Originally Posted by Redoleary View Post
    Interesting project. I would suggest also adding some beeswax to your diy oilskin maybe even some pine tar, but definitely some wax. Maybe you could find a bear skin for an underquilt! Also, to the best of my knowledge there wouldn't have been hammocks in Europe until after Columbus.
    You are correct. General consensus is that cotton was unknown to early medieval Europeans.

I wonder about the beeswax. I have seen several recipes using beeswax but I do not know what the purpose would be in regard to linseed oil alone (as the waterproofing agent) and white spirit (as the faster - days rather then months- curing agent).
    So basically: why use beeswax in the recipe ?

Straps and hardware can be used most likely of the shelf. D hooks, rings and webbing (not cotton type) was curtainly known. And indeed as tablet woven pieces. In fact I have a woven band on my main tunic around the head hole, sleeves and bottom edge, which almost every saxon/viking used extensively to decorate. They used the bands as a means to hold up trousers and keep shut any luggage they may have had so it is safe to assume they used it to do some of the more heavier lifting (so to speak) and if they had a hammock to keep it aloft...
    Cordage, straps and bands is not a major concern at this time. I first need to get the major bits sorted... ;-)

[QUOTE=HandyRandy;1858278]Just my 2¢, but what about incorporating some custom OutdoorINK patterns into the mix where it makes sense and isn’t too much of a crutch or a cheat. Maybe a chain mail pack cover or some stuff sacks that look like animal hide or you could use a walking staff that resembles a long sword. Sounds like fun. If you really want to simulate the experience, leave all the electronics at home too!

Hi Randy, I am planning to leave all but 1 electronic device at home and that is my (very simple) cellphone. For obvious (safety reason) and to be able to take some pictures of what I encounter. After all, if one does not take pictures one didn't take pictures it didn't happen...

Chainmaille wasn't used like that (you obvious know that) but more importantly the weight of those items is too high to have carrying around to just be there for cosmetic reasons. I believe back in the day virtually nothing existed just to be pretty (apart from curtain types of females maybe)
    Also chainmaile was expensive, a budget I do not intend to throw at this project. I will use leather (harvested from an old couch), wool, linen and most likely silk. Hemp, linen, silk and jute for cordage and webbing.

Hammock
    My own design
    Tarp
    Made myself
    Insulation
    The one I made
    Suspension
    Yup, made ‘em
    Images
    If I were a viking and I wanted to make a hammock, I would probably make it out of rope. It seems like vikings had a lot of experience with rope.

Flax or maybe hide.
    I sew things on youtube.
    I don’t sew on commission, so please don’t ask. Thanks.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast