Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by DeltaNu1142 View Post
    I have a feeling that, in addition to the OP getting banned, this thread will have run its course shortly.
    I think it was the NJ hang thread that shut him down. Regardless, shutting down just a couple threads give a "win" to the troll.

Hammock
    WB XLC DL 1.7
    Tarp
    SuperFly
    Insulation
    Wooki/Mamba
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Muddy Creek View Post
    ... I don't equate LNT with being invisible BEFORE I leave...
    Quote Originally Posted by esmith View Post
    The whole concept of LNT is about what you LEAVE when you exit the area.

Be No Trace.... Never heard of it...... The entire reason I go out there is to get away from people and their arbituary rules...
    Quote Originally Posted by DeltaNu1142 View Post
    Came here to say this. It's actually right there in the acronym.

If someone can tell me what color my hammock was just by looking a day after I've left, I have some more pressing questions for them...
    Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
    ... As far as LNT, I believe the first world is "Leave", not "Be"... To me, it is all fine under LNT as long as you don't LEAVE it in the woods.
    I think most of us agree that it's a good idea to try to leave no trace as we visit our unspoiled lands although we may interpret that phrase in different ways. On the other hand I want to point out that Leave No Trace (LNT) will generally be interpreted as a reference to the Leave No Trace Center for Outdoor Ethics and their Seven Principles. The difference is more than semantic in that many land managers reference the work of the Leave No Trace Center for Outdoor Ethics in their rules for visitors to the lands under their care.

Personally, I'm fine with Rockets Glaring Red hammock in a designated campsite or deep in dense woods. I'd be unhappy to see it strung up on some promontory I could see for miles of my hike.
    Last edited by GreatBigDave; 02-02-2018 at 12:08.

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    The last principle they list: Be Considerate of Other Visitors

That can be taken in so many directions, so I just try to keep a low profile in general. Out of sight, out of mind.

Hammock
    Chameleon Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    KC Cat Tangle 12
    Insulation
    LLG CR, Wooki
    Suspension
    Whoopie & shackle
    Quote Originally Posted by OneClick View Post
    The last principle they list: Be Considerate of Other Visitors
    That can be taken in so many directions, so I just try to keep a low profile in general. Out of sight, out of mind.
    I can get behind this.

When I was thinking about bright, visually-invasive colors for hammocks, I was picturing someone hanging deep in a wood, I guess. Maybe it's because where I grew up, there are lots of places where you could pass within a couple hundred yards of a blaze orange parachute and not notice it.

Do I want to see a bright pink zit on the side of Mt Katahdin from half a mile away? No... probably not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    WB Wooki & Mamba
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    When you look out into a lake and see a sailboat with a bright coloured sail do you also see this as visiual pollution? What about a hot air balloon in a clear blue sky?

Just because somethings stands out or is not a part of the natural surroundings does not make it unattractive. A hammock being visible or not is not something anyone should be conserned about when being courtious to others. If others are getting offended by the colour of your hammock, maybe they should consider that they are not being considerate of others themselves.

Where does this sense of entitlement come from where someone thinks others are responsible for creating an estetic that pleases them? you don't like it. don't look. Nobody is forcing you to.

The colour of a hammock hurts nobody and none of us have any obligation to ensure others are pleased with the feng shui of the forest.....

BTW, All my gear is Brown. I just like it that way.

Hammock
    DIY ROBIC
    Tarp
    OES MacCat SilPoly
    Insulation
    down bag, Klymit
    Suspension
    Kevlar+Str.Anchors
    I prefer muted tones for myself, but a couple times I have struggled to find my campsite in the woods after leaving it... have considered incorporating something flashier, or even just hanging a bright bandanna, to help find my site again when I leave.

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by esmith View Post
    When you look out into a lake and see a sailboat with a bright coloured sail do you also see this as visiual pollution? What about a hot air balloon in a clear blue sky?
    Those have nothing to do with a "wilderness experience". At least I hope not. It's not entitlement, just some etiquette passed along from various sources. As we said, it's nothing official that I know of (state parks, USFS, etc.) Some areas will state it on pamphlets, boards, etc. Just a suggestion, that's all.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    WB Wooki & Mamba
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    "wilderness experience" would certainly split the hair so those things would not fit. but if we change the term to "Outdoor Adventure" they are back in! Gotta love English! you can always twist it and untwist it to support your position

Why would a "wilderness experience" trump an "Outdoor Adventure"? People who perform both types of activities should have equal rights when enjoying the outdoors.

I do understand your point about etiquette. Bottle rockets in the middle of the night are not something I would ever do. however, on Crown land, nobody can tell anyone else if they are allowed to do that or not.

That said, I am responsible for myself and would never hold someone else responsible for my enjoyment of the woods. I have an instant disrespect for people who try to control others behaviour through pressure tactics like the nonsense that the colour of the hammock is somehow a part of the LNT principals.

A persons rights end where they start to encrouch the rights of another. nobody is more important than anyone else. We could all learn to be a little more tolorant of each other.

cheers!!

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Well, what started as a bit of a joke from a now banned member turned into some good discussion and I always appreciate that. But I see the road we’re going down with you much like the photobucket thread. I guess we want this one shut down too. I’m starting to see a pattern. You exhausted me in that thread so this is where I step out. I just can’t stomach another childish tantrum.

Hammock
    Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    WinterDream
    Insulation
    HG & Loco Libre
    Suspension
    Dutch CRL w/ Tatos
    First thread I've been in on any forum where I was called a troll by a now-banned troll and told to "bite me" by a rude someone else because I said I don't like camo.

It has been entertaining, though.

Wayne

• + New Posts
  • Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast