Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Reading Derek's updated book I learned that bears are more attracted to or at least more likely to be curious about bright colored camping gear.
    "...the height of hammock snobbery!"

Hammock
    Hammocktent 90*, Sparrow, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    light & waterproof
    Insulation
    Ongoing experiment
    Suspension
    Ongoing experiment
    Perhaps, but there could be disadvantages to dark/camo colors also. Bears, and some other predators, e.g. lions, are more active during low moon phases, i.e. darker. Charles Jonkel and grad students out of the UofMontana did some studies on this in regards to black bears. This correlated with increased hunting success most likely due to prey having better eyesight and able to avoid predation, while bears having poorer eyes and relied on other senses for successful predation. That means there might be an increased probability of a bear, or other large animal, happening into a hammock.

NOLS spent some time studying using small LED lights (the ones they used snapped onto 9v batteries) and their conclusions were there was a decreased probability of bears knocking down the electric fence enclosures they were studying for food storage in bear country in WY and MT where the study took place. This study was helpful in approving electric fence enclosures for food storage in northern Rocky Mountain states of MT and WY.

At times I've hung a small blinking red colored LED on my tent or hammock when I think doing so might lessen the possibility of a nocturnal visitor.

Hammock
    Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Wookie
    Suspension
    buckles and straps
    Quote Originally Posted by OlTrailDog View Post
    Perhaps, but there could be disadvantages to dark/camo colors also. Bears, and some other predators, e.g. lions, are more active during low moon phases, i.e. darker. Charles Jonkel and grad students out of the UofMontana did some studies on this in regards to black bears. This correlated with increased hunting success most likely due to prey having better eyesight and able to avoid predation, while bears having poorer eyes and relied on other senses for successful predation. That means there might be an increased probability of a bear, or other large animal, happening into a hammock.

NOLS spent some time studying using small LED lights (the ones they used snapped onto 9v batteries) and their conclusions were there was a decreased probability of bears knocking down the electric fence enclosures they were studying for food storage in bear country in WY and MT where the study took place. This study was helpful in approving electric fence enclosures for food storage in northern Rocky Mountain states of MT and WY.

At times I've hung a small blinking red colored LED on my tent or hammock when I think doing so might lessen the possibility of a nocturnal visitor.
    Oltraildog,
    Red and green lights are used for predator hunting at night because predators and prey animals alike cannot process this spectrum of light.

You can shine either color at,a deer and they still think they are hidden.

I have a 1000 lumen green led light that I use for coyote.

Most animals see shapes better than colors so a bright colored tarp does nothing for animals either, that's why blaze orange works as a safety color for hunters.

To all others on this thread, blaze orange is the only color that really matters. If you are Cam ping during hunting season and fear for your life, a blaze orange hat hung high, or vest around,a tree is your best bet.

I have camouflage tarp specially to stealth camp during hunting season.

Sent from my SM-G955U1 using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Tarp
    light & waterproof
    Insulation
    Ongoing experiment
    Suspension
    Ongoing experiment
    Good points. Perhaps that is why NOLS used white LEDs, eh? I used red because of the lessen effects on MY night vision. Looks like I foresee a change coming.

Hammock
    Dutch 11' Hex 2.4/ SLD Lair
    Tarp
    UGQ Catcut Hex
    Insulation
    Zeppelin/Burrow
    Suspension
    Dutch Cinch Buckle
    I tend to hang out in my hammock when it's sleep time, a time when hunters really shouldn't be out shooting anything.
    "Civilization exists by geological consent, subject to change without notice." Will Durant

Hammock
    Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Wookie
    Suspension
    buckles and straps
    Quote Originally Posted by OlTrailDog View Post
    Good points. Perhaps that is why NOLS used white LEDs, eh? I used red because of the lessen effects on MY night vision. Looks like I foresee a change coming.
    I'm not sure why the lights were a deterrent, something strange in the environment possibly.

The bear already knows you are there. Their sense of smell is unbelievable. Their hearing fantastic. Their Vision although stereo scopic and they can see color, is very poor. They are very nearsighted.

The best bet to deter bears is camp discipline.
    A bear bag with anything that smells, including toothpaste, soap etc to be hung in a tree at least 10 ft above ground 50 yds or so downwind of your camp.

Don't sleep in same clothes that you cooked in. No snacks in the bed. Smell like a stinky human and nothing else.

Bear bag downwind will prevent a bear who hit the scent stream from coming through camp to get to the bag.

I fear two legged camp robbers more than bears.

Hammock
    Tarp
    light & waterproof
    Insulation
    Ongoing experiment
    Suspension
    Ongoing experiment
    Quote Originally Posted by Animal View Post
    I'm not sure why the lights were a deterrent, something strange in the environment possibly.

I fear two legged camp robbers more than bears.

Heck, those little grey birds won't hurt you. Even if they are a bit pesky.
    greyjay.jpeg

I too am a strong proponent, and practice, the proverbial 'camping triangle' having worked in Grizzly country for four decades (Great Bear, Mission, Scapegoat, Absaroka-Beartooh, Teton, and Bog Marshes (aka Bob Marshall) and played in a number of others in the US and Canada. Camp here-Cook there-Hang attractants there.

You post is a good reminder of being safer (not safe) principles. Although I can't say that I haven't slept in the same under clothes that I've cooked in or paid any attention to what the wind direction is when hanging food or placing the bear resistant panniers (resistant or not, I don't want bears checking them out). In many wildernesses I've worked in there are established food storage poles hung between two trees and wind direction isn't part of the equation. It has become so ingrained that even when I'm in other parts of the country, e.g. Southwest, PNW, or AT I still endeavor to keep the principles. I figure it should work well for other curious cousins too. Plus, it is simply is a good habit to get into.

Often folks don't give the toiletries or pet food a thought. But I've seen tents smashed flat by Griz investigating a bar of soap or a YCC kid deciding crackers would be a great bed time snack. And if that wasn't bad enough, it cost the hunters $500 for the good probability that bear would consider checking out more tents in the future, and most likely end up dead. Ashamedly I've also come back to trail construction camp to find the food boxes pulled down, destroyed, and a mess left to clean up because we underestimated that bears reach. I would wager if you did a poll you'd find quite a few folks on this forum have cooked under their hammock tarp.

Or have coffee for the morning brewup.
    I collect vintage camp stoves.
    I roast coffee at home.

Hammock
    Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Wookie
    Suspension
    buckles and straps
    Ha,

Grizzlys never enter my mind because we don't have to deal with them. Frankly they terrify me.

Whenever BEARS are discussed around here I generally roll my eyes and think, here we go again...

I bowhunt Colorado and there is a large population of black bears, as there are here at home. There are no griz in Colorado where I hunt but the black bears are a nuisance. Folks who are a little less woods wise come out there, and here, carrying bear spray and wearing little bells. I generally can come up with a tale or two to ensure that these folks have a sleepless night, if they stay.

Ursa Horriblis on the other hand is no joke. I would not travel in the back country where you are without spray and a .454 Casull.
    Even though they mostly mean you no harm, they can also see you as a food source or an irritant.

The only mammal that gives me the willies more is Moose.

People around here have "Bear attacks" because they sleep with peanut butter crackers and then wonder why the bear singled them out, then as we all know, a fed bear is a dead bear.

Last fall, at a campground where I am hosting a hang in April there was a thru hiker in a hammock who hung his bear bag from his suspension. I have a photo of that somewhere.

Had my own personal camp robber Jay last fall in Colorado. He always seemed to know where I would be when I stopped. Which tells me that a lot of other critters did too.

Thanks for the response, I enjoyed reading it.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    WB Wooki & Mamba
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    I'm up in alberta and this happened a few weeks back:

http://nationalpost.com/pmn/news-pmn...er-near-hinton

The land is public use crown land so no leash is required. The dog did have a hunter orange collar on. Those familliar with the area will know this land is adjacent to the town on the other side of the river. It is a moderately populated area. It is NOT a remote place deep in the woods.

In my opinion this hunter should be on the hook for all the costs for the dog. He's an idiot for mistaking a dog for a wolf (he shouldn't be in the woods if he can't tell the difference) And an idiot for claiming he was afraid and defending himself at 30 meters. This is a sadist in the woods looking for any excuse to kill something.

I don't think you have to go to the woods in bright colours, I think you have to pick your times and locations accordingly.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast