Tarp
    Dutchware Dyneema
    Insulation
    EE Rev HG UnderQui
    Suspension
    Dutch Cinch Buckle
    Images

Larger Backpacker

I am 6'4" and 275lbs. and backpack with my wife, mostly on the AT. I have watched nearly all of Shug's videos and many others and read many articles but still have a question I was hoping someone may offer advice. I have narrowed it down to the Dutchware Chameleon Double and the Warbonnet Blackbird ELC light double. Both look great but due to my size is one better? Trying to keep down weight in the pack of course. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks for all the info! -Pappy

My thoughts as an owner of a Wide 1.6 Chameleon, Standard 2.4 Chameleon and a Blackbird XLC heavyweight Double (new version).

For reference I am 5'10", 255lbs, broad shoulders.

Single layer 1.6 Wide Chameleon, way too much stretch, I sync into the hammock like a bathtub with high walls no matter how diagonal I try to lay, hate it.
    Single layer 2.4 standard Chameleon. much better feel for my weight but I find I get some shoulder squeeze.
    Double layer heavyweight XLC, very firm hammock ( I like that myself) and very comfortable lay (setting it up properly with foot end much higher then head end). I don't recall the exact numbers but I recall the blackbirds width to fall in between the standard and wide Chameleon widths.

Trying the wide 1.6 Chameleon really showed me that I don't like stretch in my hammocks, that's why I opted for the heavyweight XLC instead of the lightweight XLC, its 6oz more but I didn't want to be unhappy with another 200+ $ purchase and sleeping well is more important to me then 6oz. I would love to try the lightweight XLC and see how well the fabric supports me.

Basically since your right at the weight limit of the lightweight XLC (275lbs) my only worry would be fabric stretch. Of course some people like fabric stretch in they're hammocks... Good luck sir.

Hammock
    Warbonnet BBXLC

Larger Backpacker

I'm 6'2 325 and have warbonnet blackbird XLC double 1.7 with their top and under quilts. very satisfied customer

Hammock
    XLC/SLD 11' Tree Runner/BB
    Tarp
    WB MiniFly/SLD WH
    Insulation
    Jacks 'R' Better
    Suspension
    MyersTech/Dyneema
    Images
    I believe the XLC is a better wind blocker.

I have deemed it my cold weather hammock.

It's the shelf.

xlc.jpg

On the opposite side I place a jacket in the netting.
    "...in Florida, she felt air conditioning for the first time, and it was cold and unnatural upon her skin."

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon WB RR
    Tarp
    Dutchware Dyneema
    Insulation
    EE Rev HG UnderQui
    Suspension
    Dutch Cinch Buckle
    Images
    Thanks for sharing that I will look at the double WB XLC more closely.

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon WB RR
    Tarp
    Dutchware Dyneema
    Insulation
    EE Rev HG UnderQui
    Suspension
    Dutch Cinch Buckle
    Images
    That is where I am leaning too. Wish I could use a 7oz Hammock but I am sure there would be a midnight rip if I did.

Hammock
    DIY GE
    Insulation
    Down TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    DynaGlide UCRs
    IMO the best option for your weight and the weight of the product would be a single layer 1.7 Robic hammock. Possibly something from Dream Hammock. I made one for my buddy who is 350 lbs. and he absolutely loves it, sleeps like a baby. It would be half the material of the Blackbird 1.7 DL and much smaller pack size.

I’m 6’3 and roughly 240, wide shoulders.

I used the Blackbird xlc (one of the double layers, unsure which) for the whole AT last year and was quite happy with it

Not a fan of the buckles so swapped em out for Dutch’s cinch bugs with 15’ straps

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Senior Member Tyroler Holzhacker's Avatar
    Hammock
    DH DL Sparrow/SL Darien
    Tarp
    MacCat/WBSuperfly
    Insulation
    LL/JRB/DIY down
    Suspension
    MSH/Whoopies/strps
    Images
    Plus one on the 1.7 Robic XL by Dream hammock (looking at a darien or raven in the 1.7). I have a sparrow DL hammock made of 2.2 Hex70 which is great, but am seeking to lighten my load. I am 5'10, 280 lb.

Hammock
    WL Snipe
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    Down!
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    I think that both hammocks offer the most bells and whistles that you can currently get. They both have modular designs where you can add/remove bugnets, and top covers. They both offer unique storage options. Warbonnet has the shelf whereas the Chameleon has the peak bag and side car.

The biggest difference that I see between the two hammocks is the construction where the hammock connects to the suspension--- The chameleon uses a sewn channel that the continuous loop passes through whereas the warbonnet hammock gathers in a ball at each end. This allows the suspension to grab hold of the hammock fabric without being held in place by stitching. The advantage here for warbonnet is that there is no worry about eventually wearing out a seam. I think that this construction by warbonnet is superior in the long run, but honestly, I don't think you would experience a failure in the dutch hammock seams.

I think the only differences between the options of the hammock systems is that the Warbonnet offers a modular wintersock (top cover that zips to underquilt protector) whereas the chameleon doesn't. You would have to get a separate underquilt protector if you went through dutchware gear if you wanted an underquilt protector. The chameleon system is a little less expensive too.

I was considering buying another hammock (aren't we all), and these two hammocks were my main contenders. I always liked the look of the warbonnet and I think I'd enjoy the shelf. So for me, I'd go warbonnet.

When it comes down to it, I really think you can't make a bad choice.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast