WBBB XLC/R.R 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    WB Superfly UGQ WD
    Insulation
    HG/LocoL/AHE/UGQ
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    Black fly season is hard to nail down. Temperatures play a big role. If you hit it at the peak it can quickly turn a good time to miserable. Some of the local stores shut down during Black fly season because they know that people aren't heading out to the woods. If you do go, get a no see-um suit, lots of bug spray, cigars and don't use Thermacell products. They attract Black flies.
    Maybe try for a little bit into June. Black flies are usually done and temps aren't as bad as July and Aug.
    Hanging in the woods, paddlin and catching trout- My kind of living...

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    HG Dyneema
    Insulation
    HG UQ, Custom TQ
    Suspension
    Yes
    I've been lucky and avoided black flies every time I've been in the ADK and I've gone up in May. May you have the same luck.

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    Winter Palace
    Insulation
    LLG, HG, EE
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by georgecarr View Post
    You will have black flies to deal with the . If you go anyway, I second the West Canada lakes loop. I've done it twice in August, and cant wait to go again. High falls loop will probably be crowded that weekend, so if you go you might want to head toward wolf pond for privacy.
    Thanks for the recommendation. Here is a decent trip report - is this the same loop that you've done? He doesn't say how many miles: https://backpackinglight.com/west-ca...ess-klagsbrun/

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    Winter Palace
    Insulation
    LLG, HG, EE
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by Muddy Creek View Post
    I swear by a Bug Baffler net shirt & hood & have one with me all the time. It balls up very small and weighs very little.

I bought a bug net hat when I lived outside Saranac Lake but certain sun angles made vision difficult. After moving to Maine, I bought a Bug Baffler pullover with hood to use for beekeeping in the summer and have used it ever since in the garden and hiking when black flies and mosquitoes are bad.

Can't recommend it enough.

Wayne
    I had never heard of this before, just did some research. Thanks for the recommendation. I had been looking at an ex officio bug shirt for a year but haven't pulled the trigger on it yet because of how expensive it is. This might be a good compromise.

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    Winter Palace
    Insulation
    LLG, HG, EE
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by LuvmyBonnet View Post
    Black fly season is hard to nail down. Temperatures play a big role. If you hit it at the peak it can quickly turn a good time to miserable. Some of the local stores shut down during Black fly season because they know that people aren't heading out to the woods. If you do go, get a no see-um suit, lots of bug spray, cigars and don't use Thermacell products. They attract Black flies.
    Maybe try for a little bit into June. Black flies are usually done and temps aren't as bad as July and Aug.
    It's also our anniversary celebration weekend so that's another factor - if we don't hit it at the right time and we are miserable from these black flies, it would be not just a miserable backpacking trip, but a miserable backpacking anniversary trip lol. We are pretty booked in June and are going to Colorado in September and Vermont in October, so July or August would have to work. Womp womp.

Hammock
    2 Hennessy Explorers 1-Bottom,1-zip
    Tarp
    Stock (both)
    Insulation
    Ensolite & HGUQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies, Cinchbug
    Being a 46er I used to spend a lot of time in the Daks and used to maintain a coupe of lean-to's back in the 90's as well. I always looked at Memorial day weekend as the newer/inexperienced crowd making their way for some fun camping as the weather breaks. Many get spanked by mud, blackflies and rain and never return, others thrive
    I usually avoid that weekend simply due to the Canadian and downstate crowds (although I do not think it is a Canadian holiday).
    FWIW, if the weather is warm, most of the black flies will be higher up in the colder streams and swarming on the peaks.
    I do agree with WCL wilderness area.
    Also, The NLP from Long Lake to LP is also a great choice, although you would need a shuttle.
    Finally, If you don't mind a quiet backwoods old truck trail for half of your journey, you could go in and do what i call the "Cold River Triangle" Park at Coreys and take the Calkins Creek horse Trail S to Cold River (Night 1) and then follow the NLP NE to Duck Hole (Night 2)and then follow Ward Brook Ttruck Trail back out to Coreys. About 32 miles and pretty easy walking. I guarantee you will see virtually no one, other than 46ers when you get to blueberry and Santanoni Lean tos. You can bask on the boulders in the Cold River at one of the several L/T sites along the NLP (Ouluska Pass is nice) . If you feel compelled you can add a day and pick up one of the "trailess" peaks when you pass the Seward range on the WBTT.

Hammock
    2 Hennessy Explorers 1-Bottom,1-zip
    Tarp
    Stock (both)
    Insulation
    Ensolite & HGUQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies, Cinchbug
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    Also, The NLP from Long Lake to LP is also a great choice, although you would need a shuttle.
    Finally, If you don't mind a quiet backwoods old truck trail for half of your journey, you could go in and do what i call the "Cold River Triangle" Park at Coreys and take the Calkins Creek horse Trail S to Cold River (Night 1) and then follow the NLP NE to Duck Hole (Night 2)and then follow Ward Brook Ttruck Trail back out to Coreys. About 32 miles and pretty easy walking. I guarantee you will see virtually no one, other than 46ers when you get to blueberry and SANTA CLARA Lean tos. You can bask on the boulders in the Cold River at one of the several L/T sites along the NLP (Ouluska Pass is nice) . If you feel compelled you can add a day and pick up one of the "trailess" peaks when you pass the Seward range on the WBTT.
    Please note I meant to say Santa Clara No. 4 lean-to's on the Ward Brook Truck Trail, Not Santanoni.

Hammock
    11' Chameleon
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie slings
    Images
    I did both West Canada lakes trips in mid to late August and the weather was perfect both times, solitude amazing, and the trails dry. Did a pharroah lakes trip in the beginning of may one year and that was exceptional as well, but a tiny bit muddy.

Hammock
    1.2 MTN
    Tarp
    12' DCF Hex
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Kevlar strap
    Quote Originally Posted by souperjen24 View Post
    Thanks for the recommendation. Here is a decent trip report - is this the same loop that you've done? He doesn't say how many miles: https://backpackinglight.com/west-ca...ess-klagsbrun/
    That’s basically the loop I was thinking of.

Hammock
    ENO- D N
    Tarp
    Equinox-Egret 12sq
    Suspension
    eno straps
    Pharoah L.W.A. Using Putnam Pond as start point has nice loops w/ mtn. view side trips. Insect life is what you make of it. I have learned to tolerate them . I ingest lots of " Garlic Oil " . After 70+ yrs. some years better than others. Life is GOOD. Tut

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12