Chameleon
    Tarp
    Winter Palace
    Insulation
    LLG, HG, EE
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles

Advice for 3 day Adirondack Trip in May

I've been doing some research to try to find a loop trail in the Adirondacks that my partner and I could take memorial day weekend. I've been to the Adirondack Mountain Club's website and was going to buy one of their guidebooks for some more detailed information, but the problem is, I don't know which guidebook to buy because I don't know where exactly I want to hike. I'm hoping that if I give you guys some criteria, you may point me to some trail suggestions.

We would arrive later on a Friday night and either stay at a hotel or campground or hike just a mile in somewhere. Full days of hiking on Saturday and Sunday with just a few miles to hike out on Monday so that we can drive the 8ish hours home. We average 8-10 mile days currently in the Maryland/Virginia/West Virginia area, so a total hike of no more than 20-22ish miles would be good I think. We are different style hikers/backpackers, so for us both to be happy it would be great to have a mountain climb or two with views (for me) but not strenuous ups and downs the entire trip (so I think the high peaks region would be out for this reason, at least for now. Or unless we considered base camping and day hiking). A route with a lake or water would be ideal. Lastly, we really like to avoid crowds. I realize this will be somewhat difficult over a holiday weekend, but like anywhere there are usually less visited places in an area. I'm also assuming the high peaks region would be out if we didn't want to be around crowds either.

I've watched a video of the High Falls Loop Trail and that looks like it might be a good option for us. (Would anyone happen to know which guidebook/map that trail would be in?). Any other suggestions? Tips? Thoughts?

Thanks!

Hammock
    BB XLC
    Tarp
    Super Fly
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix /Bur 30
    Images
    That was the exact loop I was going to suggest. Lots of water sites, and if you do the Cat mnt spur, you'll have a climb with view. I'm not sure about the map, I just printed one I googled, it also showed lean to's and camp sites. The sites at High Falls are beautiful, but it may be crowded that weekend....
    There are two videos that come to mind, "Backpacking adventures", Rob does a good job on this. Also, Frozen at "Outdoor Adventures" covers part of the loop on his "Cranberry lake 50" video.

Senior Member Tyroler Holzhacker's Avatar
    Hammock
    DH DL Sparrow/SL Darien
    Tarp
    MacCat/WBSuperfly
    Insulation
    LL/JRB/DIY down
    Suspension
    MSH/Whoopies/strps
    Images
    Check out Rogers Rock NY State Park near Ticonderoga. Also Pharaoh's Lake Wilderness Area for backcountry. Lots of lean tos and water. It is black bear country though.

Hammock
    1.2 MTN
    Tarp
    12' DCF Hex
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Kevlar strap
    West Canada Lakes Wilderness area has plenty of trails, will be fairly secluded if you stay away from the Cedar River Flow area.

You could build yourself a nice loop trail, depending on where you enter, with very little backtrack. The mountain with view could be Pillsbury, it has a fire tower and is a short spur off one of the main access points.

http://www.dec.ny.gov/lands/105391.html

Hammock
    1.2 MTN
    Tarp
    12' DCF Hex
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Kevlar strap
    Bring a headnet.... and a spare...... and a spare spare.

Hammock
    11' Chameleon
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie slings
    Images
    You will have black flies to deal with the . If you go anyway, I second the West Canada lakes loop. I've done it twice in August, and cant wait to go again. High falls loop will probably be crowded that weekend, so if you go you might want to head toward wolf pond for privacy.

Hammock
    Wilderness Logic Night OWL
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    Pheonix 3s, te-wa
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Spring is such a crap shoot for bugs. I did a thru of the Northville Placid trail in 2017 and we started 29 April and ended on 10 May. Zero bugs to the last day on the trail some tiny flying insects were swarming my dog but not the people. 2016 I started a thru attempt of the NPT but got off the trail due to weather. There could be some snow fields to get across and the water might be high and running down the trail. Beaver re routes, yea, those are likely too. Just saying you might get lucky and miss the bugs and the snow.
    I like refried beans. That's why I wanna try fried beans, because maybe they're just as good and we're just wasting time. You don't have to fry them again after all.

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    I did a good chunk of that loop (High Falls) a couple of years ago on Labor Day weekend while doing the Cranberry Lake 50.

Prepare to also have wet feet, especially between High Falls and Wanakena. Late May, extremely high probability of black flies, and they are carnivorous.

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    Winter Palace
    Insulation
    LLG, HG, EE
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Thanks everyone for the suggestions.

I went home last night and did some more digging and read additional trip reports that also indicated that the black flies are horrendous. We have decided to try for a different time of year, maybe July or August... we'd obviously be dealing with the heat but it seems like the black fly situation might be better then?

Hammock
    Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    WinterDream
    Insulation
    HG & Loco Libre
    Suspension
    Dutch CRL w/ Tatos
    I swear by a Bug Baffler net shirt & hood & have one with me all the time. It balls up very small and weighs very little.

I bought a bug net hat when I lived outside Saranac Lake but certain sun angles made vision difficult. After moving to Maine, I bought a Bug Baffler pullover with hood to use for beekeeping in the summer and have used it ever since in the garden and hiking when black flies and mosquitoes are bad.

Can't recommend it enough.

Wayne

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast