WB Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG Burrow
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by Papatechie View Post
    WarbonnetGuy is spot on!! The image is here on the WBO website:
    https://www.warbonnetoutdoors.com/wp...y-Brown-04.jpg

I'll see if I can get some more for ya but not sure when I'm gonna be real busy this week.
    I think the picture from the Warbonnet web site will do. Thanks though.

Those Nitize gear ties held fine ? You used nothing to keep it from riding back up the line ?

Hammock
    DWG + SLD Voyager
    Tarp
    WBEdge+SLD WindH
    Insulation
    SLD IUQP
    Suspension
    DWG + WBFisHooks
    Quote Originally Posted by Got Sag View Post
    Those Nitize gear ties held fine ? You used nothing to keep it from riding back up the line ?
    Yes the gear ties are rubber and have a great grip. The theory is similar to a hangman's knot where each additional coil of the wire adds friction to the knot, which makes the noose harder to pull closed, open, up or down.

I had originally done this with an amsteel ridge line but that would slide and was more rope to tangle with.

Below is a quote from Nitize:

"Twist it, Tie it, Reuse it - Gear Ties! Gear Tie Reusable Rubber Twist Ties have a tough rubber shell that provides excellent grip and a strong wire inside that holds its shape, meaning no job is too big or too small for a Gear Tie to tackle."

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
    "What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us" - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Yes the gear ties are rubber and have a great grip. The theory is similar to a hangman's knot where each additional coil of the wire adds friction to the knot, which makes the noose harder to pull closed, open, up or down.

I had originally done this with an amsteel ridge line but that would slide and was more rope to tangle with.

Below is a quote from Nitize:

"Twist it, Tie it, Reuse it - Gear Ties! Gear Tie Reusable Rubber Twist Ties have a tough rubber shell that provides excellent grip and a strong wire inside that holds its shape, meaning no job is too big or too small for a Gear Tie to tackle."

Does shortening the suspension triangle have any effect on the stability or lay of the hammock. I can see the advantage (doors close more), but wonder if load/stability is compromised...

Hammock
    DWG + SLD Voyager
    Tarp
    WBEdge+SLD WindH
    Insulation
    SLD IUQP
    Suspension
    DWG + WBFisHooks
    Quote Originally Posted by meierjo View Post
    Does shortening the suspension triangle have any effect on the stability or lay of the hammock. I can see the advantage (doors close more), but wonder if load/stability is compromised...
    YES! Absolutely it does add some wobble and it also changes the pressure and forces put on the bars. If you have smaller or lighter 3rd party spreader bars such as thinner aluminum or carbon fiber you need to consider that by shortening it will add more force on the bars.

Depending on your weight this will be a factor on failure of 3rd party bars (and stock bars for that matter). Shortening the head end will add significantly more wobble and pressure to the hammock where as shortening the foot end will not as much but still you need to take in the risk factors for bar failure.

For example: Let's say you are at the upper threshold of the RR hammock rating of 250 pounds, you put in some lighter carbon fiber spreader bars and you shorten the dogbones you will definitely increase the risk of breaking the bars and causing damage.

I've shortened the foot dogbones temporarily in a winter storm (Laying in Hammock with stock bars) and it was all good even with 30 mph gust; but, the reality is you should try at your own risk. For me, in my opinion, I would only do it with the thicker stock bars and only temporarily if the weather is just crazy because it's not really a big deal with the triangle apex sticking out a little.

Another good use case scenario could be maybe you are going on an 8 hour exploratory hike and you know that it's gonna rain at base camp and you just want to seal up the ridgerunner good and tight while you are gone so that when you get back it's not all a wet mess.
    "What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us" - Ralph Waldo Emerson

YES! Absolutely it does add some wobble and it also changes the pressure and forces put on the bars. If you have smaller or lighter 3rd party spreader bars such as thinner aluminum or carbon fiber you need to consider that by shortening it will add more force on the bars.

Depending on your weight this will be a factor on failure of 3rd party bars (and stock bars for that matter). Shortening the head end will add significantly more wobble and pressure to the hammock where as shortening the foot end will not as much but still you need to take in the risk factors for bar failure.

For example: Let's say you are at the upper threshold of the RR hammock rating of 250 pounds, you put in some lighter carbon fiber spreader bars and you shorten the dogbones you will definitely increase the risk of breaking the bars and causing damage.

I've shortened the foot dogbones temporarily in a winter storm (Laying in Hammock with stock bars) and it was all good even with 30 mph gust; but, the reality is you should try at your own risk. For me, in my opinion, I would only do it with the thicker stock bars and only temporarily if the weather is just crazy because it's not really a big deal with the triangle apex sticking out a little.

Another good use case scenario could be maybe you are going on an 8 hour exploratory hike and you know that it's gonna rain at base camp and you just want to seal up the ridgerunner good and tight while you are gone so that when you get back it's not all a wet mess.

Good points - at 225lbs, I figured I'd stick with the stock bars - if I need to "save weight" I should probably drop a a few lbs before the next major trek!

Thanks for the info!

Hammock
    WB RR
    Tarp
    C-burst, T-fly
    Insulation
    Pad,EE,WB,HG,LL
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    I can't tell from the pictures...are you using a continuous ridgeline above/below the Thunderfly and attaching to it with something like a prusik, or are you just attaching to the rings at the ends of the tarp? I have the exact same setup (I'm using a DIY pole set) and I'm always interested in how other people rig their systems. Thanks!

Hammock
    DWG + SLD Voyager
    Tarp
    WBEdge+SLD WindH
    Insulation
    SLD IUQP
    Suspension
    DWG + WBFisHooks
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve66 View Post
    I can't tell from the pictures...are you using a continuous ridgeline above/below the Thunderfly and attaching to it with something like a prusik, or are you just attaching to the rings at the ends of the tarp? I have the exact same setup (I'm using a DIY pole set) and I'm always interested in how other people rig their systems. Thanks!
    I'm using 2 separate 12' lines of 1.75mm single braid dyneema. ~400 lbs. break strength High visibility yellow with 2 Nite Ize Figure-9 Rope Tightener Small. I started with the truckers hitch and then moved to Dutch fleaz but they had too much bite.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12