WBRR/WBBB
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Lynx/Zeppelin
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Ok, so I got my blizzard tubes in the mail a couple days ago and have done a bit of experimenting. These will obviously not fit over my Ridgerunner (haven't tried to Blackbird) so I tried it with my Grand Trunk Nano 7 that has an aftermarket adjustable ridgeline (whoopie sling).

I set it up with one tube during the day (about 50 to 60 degrees, no humidity) and instantly overheated. I had completely cinched closed the foot end and had cinched up the head as far as the sides of the hammock would allow. I loosened up the head end drawstring for some ventilation but the evaporation of the moisture on my shoulder blades immediately made my shoulder blades feel like they were freezing. I never could shake the cold shoulder blades in the 20 minutes I was messing around with it. I was completely steaming in there, and was surprised that there wasn't any condensation building up. I had tightened the ridgeline to keep the tube from touching me in anticipation of condensation buildup, but it never came. Maybe the ambient air temp wasn't cold enough to make that happen in that short of time. I had somewhere to be and decided to continue the test later.

The next day, I got home from work at 6am and the temp was 22 degrees. Two of my girls (8 and 4 yrs old) were awake and waiting for me, so I had them help me with the test. I put them both in the hammock in only their pajamas, and cinched up both ends of the tube. They were completely warm in 5 minutes or less. They stayed in there for 15 minutes with no complaints of getting stuffy. There was a hole on either end big enough for me to not worry about them getting enough air. They rather enjoyed themselves for a while, and then I sent them back inside so I could get in. I was only in a base layer, socks and beanie. I was comfortable for the most part, and I was not perspiring at all, but the cold shoulder blades returned, even after I pulled the second tube down over my head and down towards my waist. I was pretty tired and ended up nodding off, but my cold shoulder blades caused the rest of my body to get chilled. That concluded that test as I needed to get some sleep so I could go back to work. Worth noting was there was not a drop of condensation anywhere, even after pulling the first tube over my head for a time.

My thoughts so far are that with any kind of underquilt under my shoulder blades, and I would have been completely comfortable. I also have hopes of using one of (or half of) these tubes for each kid in their own hammock on our quest to get the whole family's gear as light as possible. We hang their grand trunks from the suspension of our Ridgerunners, and they are comfortable with that lay. If I can figure out how to cut these tubes in half and adding a draw string so the air space their little bodies are heating is minimized, then I'm hoping to save some weight from carrying their under and top quilts. To be continued...
    Do what needs to be done when it needs doing.

Hammock
    11' 1.0 Hexon
    Tarp
    SLD Asym Tarp
    Insulation
    HG 30* Phoenix
    How far from the bottom of the hammock does it hang? Do you think if it would be closer to the hammock you wouldn't have an issue with cold shoulders? And did you have it sent up with a tarp?
    Last edited by backy; 02-01-2018 at 14:22.

Hammock
    WB RR, DIY Bridge (Dutch Kit)
    Tarp
    Kammok Glider
    Insulation
    DIY TQ, DIY BQ
    Suspension
    Whoopsie Slings
    The problems I've had with CBS is when my UQ is not adjusted correctly and air flows under my hammock. Do you think that you might be getting air flow underneath either where one end is cinched or the other end being too open?

I got a couple of orange ones from Botach to try out. Opened one up and the orange outer layer is flaking and de-laminating. Holes all over it. It was vacuum sealed and I only used my hands to open it...I have contacted them about a return, but just giving a heads up.

Hammock
    DIY 1.7 MTN
    Tarp
    WB Edge
    Insulation
    Incubator20,UGQ
    Suspension
    Huggers and Amstel
    I am getting ready to try something like this, this weekend on my WBRR. I bought a 8 x 5 mylar tent https://www.amazon.com/Emergency-Ref...emergency+tent. I am going to tape two x's on top and cut 2" holes through the tape right where my WBRR bug net connects to my Spindrift. Then I am cutting the entire length of the bottom of the tent so it just drapes over the bug net and down into the Spindrift, which leaves the bottom wide open for condensation to settle (theoretically). If it is too cold, I will attach my UQ protector and tuck the tent into it to close the bottom gap a bit. I am also going to cut out one door and just use some Velcro tabs to close it, but I am cutting extra at the top so it can never close completely. This will probably be a 3-4" gap at the top. My thinking is some hot air will rise out the 2" holes at the top and the 4" door vent, some cold air will settle through the bottom and this will create air movement and bring in fresh air. I have not decided what I will do with the ends yet, but I will probably close them with some Velcro so they reflect the heat, but some air can still travel in. Do you think it has a chance of working or did I throw away $9? I suppose I will find out. If I do not reply, do not try this!

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Sparrow
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    Loco Libre
    Suspension
    DIY straps / Fancy
    Quote Originally Posted by OneClick View Post
    1000's of files lost in the past. Live and learn.
    I love this comment, and it’s from a guy named oneclick.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Sparrow
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    Loco Libre
    Suspension
    DIY straps / Fancy
    I like it however it is very noisy.

Hammock
    11' 1.0 Hexon
    Tarp
    SLD Asym Tarp
    Insulation
    HG 30* Phoenix
    Quote Originally Posted by Koolranch View Post
    I like it however it is very noisy.
    Getting in and out or even when just laying still?

Hammock
    WBRR/WBBB
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Lynx/Zeppelin
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by backy View Post
    How far from the bottom of the hammock does it hang? Do you think if it would be closer to the hammock you wouldn't have an issue with cold shoulders? And did you have it sent up with a tarp?
    A second person observing from the outside to see just how it was hanging below would be optimal, but the best I could tell from inside the hammock was that there was only 1-2 inches of air gap below my shoulder blades, with more than that below my legs (which were warm). I was using the ridge line to achieve that distance as I was expecting condensation and wanted to have some room for it to collect underneath the hammock, but I also wanted the ridge line to keep the tube off my face and body for the same reason. Unless I experience some major condensation at some point, the ridge line will just be getting in the way of things.

I tried to get it closer to my shoulders, but actually couldn't quite achieve that, even with the head end draw string and ridge line pulled tight. The cinched part touches the back of my neck and it drapes down from there. I think the reason I was getting cold shoulder blades is because hot air rises, and even though the foot end was cinched tight, there is still a small hole there and it is higher than the head. This creates the perfect situation for some (minimal) drafting to occur, and when that happens, my shoulders are first in line to come in contact with the cold air.

I did not have a tarp set up for two reasons. First of all, I was hanging on my covered porch, and second of all, part of what intrigues me about this concept is the fact that it seems that you can completely do away with the tarp and save that much more weight. One of my main questions when reading the OP's notes was what would happen in a down pour. Before I saw the tubes on a hammock, I imagined that the rain would run from the higher foot end straight down towards my head and drench me. After I deployed my setup I realized that the tube would shed the water before it got to your head. Also, if a second tube is used on the head end, it seems that the water would pass over your head and then run off as well. Another test I have planned is to simulate a downpour with a sprinkler. (not much rain here in AZ) From what I can gather so far is that with a drip string on both ends with some sort of simple flap over the cinched ends a double tube setup would perform quite well.

Hammock
    WBRR/WBBB
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Lynx/Zeppelin
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by scrope View Post
    The problems I've had with CBS is when my UQ is not adjusted correctly and air flows under my hammock. Do you think that you might be getting air flow underneath either where one end is cinched or the other end being too open?
    I do think there is a draft. I think even minimal insulation secured underneath (like an extra shirt) would cause the draft to be drawn in from by my face instead of underneath. I don't want to completely stop the draft, as I think it is going to be necessary to minimize the condensation I keep expecting to form.

• + New Posts
  • Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast