Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Cold weather camping

Just came back from a trip this past weekend with my sons scout troop. Still had some snow on the ground and the weather probably got down to the mid 20's. My son and I both have 20 degree down under quilt and top quilts. There was a slight breeze all night long and kept switching directions.

Even though we tried to set up to have tarp 90 degrees to the wind we still both got a pretty good wind tunnel effect and got a little chilly. Tarps were pitched pretty close to the ground to help block wind.

My question to the forum is would I be better off purchasing one grizz break for each of us or look into an underquilt protector to help with heat loss and wind protection. The grizz break could also be used as a vestabule in nasty weather but not be used at all for warmer dry summer camping. Just looking for some real life options. Going to go with one of them just not sure which yet.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Perfect scenario is to have both. That wind will rob the heat out of your UQ. Either from the sides or the ends. Part of the Tarp Life. Up here in Minnesota we can build up snow walls around the trap. Not so in NC.
    I normally have just one end of my tarp battered down unless the weather dictates other-wise.
    Shug

Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    Robic XL 1.1oz 11'
    Tarp
    RSBTR PU4000 tarps
    Insulation
    UGQ 0* 20* 40* set
    Suspension
    Multi buckle web
    Your pushing the quilts....best thing is to get some 0* quilts and be warm. Cold is not to be messed with and add wind chill compounds things.
    Be safe be warm get the proper quilts for the temps your in with a at min 10* buffer.
    It is one thing to push gear in the backyard but out in the field it is not.
    Life is too Short to not feed the addiction....Hang on and explore the World

Hammock
    WB Eldorado/DIY
    Tarp
    WB MiniFly/DIY 12'
    Insulation
    WB Wooki/HG Burrow
    Suspension
    DW Spider/Beetle

Smile

I don't have much standing because I don't have 20deg gear, but from everything I know, I would get both. The UQ protector will help mitigate the heat loss from the blowing wind, and the grizz beak will help block the wind to some degree from getting to your UQ.

There you have it. My (generally) uninformed opinion.

EDIT: just saw that this is post 333 for me. That's my old scout troop number.

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    I like to use a sock. I normally leave the sock door open for ventilation and I try to oriente my set up so the tarp is the first line of defense against the wind and the back side of the sock blocks any wind the tarp does not stop.
    I am still 18 but with 52 years of experience !

Forgot about the winter sock that might be a nice option. All ready have summer sock for bug protection. Those grizz breaks seam like a great option for year round use. Decisions decisions.

This past weekend I am pretty sure it was the wind that was the biggest problem and we normally only camp 2 or 3 weekends in the cold. So 20 degree quilts seemed like the best option.

Thanks for all the feedback so far.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Hammock
    DH Sparrow #2779
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    UGQ TQ-HG/KAQ UQ
    Suspension
    Kevlar/Ti CinchBkl
    Images
    My humble opinion. In preferred order.

You'd be better off with:

1. Tarp with doors. Like the Griz Beak. Like not having to worry about forgetting them even more. Plus most winter tarps with doors are large enough to be pitched low ans still leave decent room underneath. My 3-season tarp is not. If I have to pitch low it's uncomfortable.
    2. UQ protector. Useful for more than just wind. Like it better than a sock because I need protection for UQ more than I need an overcover. Nice to have them seperate.
    3. Warmer quilt - though all underquilts are subject to the chilling effect of wind, thicker resists it better.

The best way to deal of course is by finding an ideal site where there is some natural shelter. When I'm tired and want to set up camp so I can just rest I still skimp on this sometimes. And I usually pay some price for it. Better to pitch out of the wind, but if you have to manage it, a tarp is the best first option IMHO.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Men hang out their signs indicative of their respective trades; shoe makers hang out a gigantic shoe; jewelers a monster watch, and the dentist hangs out a gold tooth; but up in the Mountains of New Hampshire, God Almighty has hung out a sign to show that there He makes men.
    - Daniel Webster

Hammock
    Robic XL 1.1oz 11'
    Tarp
    RSBTR PU4000 tarps
    Insulation
    UGQ 0* 20* 40* set
    Suspension
    Multi buckle web
    Try the summer sock ..even bug screen can block a lot of wind
    Grizz beaks are a option but don't think it fully solves the wind issue
    Supplement your 20* quilts by stacking in a cheap costco down quilt or whatever you can use and make work. Better to depend on your quilts for warmth than socks or tarps or...
    Another cheap fix is just drape say a king sized flannel bed sheet over your ridge line, cinch the ends and that will block a lot of wind. Essentially any blanket will help and is something you likely have at hand. Even cotton canvas painters drop cloth works great (9x12')
    Life is too Short to not feed the addiction....Hang on and explore the World

Hammock
    WL Snipe
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    Down!
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images

Cold weather camping

. I was in a similar scenario as you. I have a 40 degree underquilt and a 30 degree top quilt. I decided to try my luck in 30 degree temps with one set of doors. turns out i did ok. The doors blocked a lot of wind allowing my quilts to do a great job. my toes were very cold but I was otherwise comfortable. if I had an underquilt protector , I would have been able to wear less clothes to bed. Now I'm considering an underquilt protector.....and a warmer underquilt.

At any rate, I'd recommend always using quilts that are 10 degrees warmer than expected temperatures. Do not do what I did ! It could have easily turned out poorly for me.
    Last edited by Dlrocm; 01-22-2018 at 19:06.

Hammock
    11 foot
    Tarp
    Old man winter
    Insulation
    HG quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopee slings
    I have found the hammock sock to be really helpful. Here in Atlanta it was teens with 10 - 15 mph winds. I tried my gear out in the back for about 4 hours and stayed warm with the following: wilderness logics tarp with doors (all closed), dutch hammock sock, 10 full length down underquilt, 20 topquilt stacked with 40 topquilt. Stayed warm, other than having to breath cold air.

Kind of like everyone else was saying, cold is nothing to mess with. The more things you can do the better. I am really not interested in sleeping outside below 20 degrees. Hence why I got the 10underquilt, to give me a buffer for wind.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast