Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images

This is a decent deal on a very warm pad for you pad users.

Guys,
    This is a decent deal on a warm pad if you are looking for a pad for your hammock.
    https://www.massdrop.com/buy/therm-a...referer=8USS6Q

Hammock
    90* Hammocktent 2.0
    Tarp
    Hammocktent Cuben
    Insulation
    Exped pad, EE TQ
    Suspension
    kevlar tree strap
    Therma-rest x-therm, definitely a great pad for ground use, summer or winter. I used mine for 90 miles on the JMT. It can be a little noisy if sharing a tent if you move around much. But if you're hiking 12-14 miles w/50lbs, it won't matter. Still have mine even though I probably won't use it much now that I'm a happy hanger

Hammock
    DH Sparrow #2779
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    UGQ TQ-HG/KAQ UQ
    Suspension
    Kevlar/Ti CinchBkl
    Images
    Agree w/ dhkayaker. I use mine these days primarily with my OR bivy when I need a simple and comfortable ground shelter. Might be a bit thick for hammock use but I love mine.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Men hang out their signs indicative of their respective trades; shoe makers hang out a gigantic shoe; jewelers a monster watch, and the dentist hangs out a gold tooth; but up in the Mountains of New Hampshire, God Almighty has hung out a sign to show that there He makes men.
    - Daniel Webster

Hammock
    Hammocktent 90*, Sparrow, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    light & waterproof
    Insulation
    Ongoing experiment
    Suspension
    Ongoing experiment
    One thing I would add my two cents about is from my own experiences with a Sea to Summit Comfort lite and one of the mummy style TR Xtherms I have not found the mummy shape to work as well as the rectangular Xthem MAX or one of the rectangular Expeds. I have a couple of pad obligate hammocks that also are my favorites (Hammocktent Gamma UL and an Exped Ergo). I also prefer an inflatable insulated pad in my GEs before resorting to a UQ to augment the pad. Consequently, I've spent considerable time and expense testing various pad configurations. (My philosophy is to buy second hand or bargain shop, try it out, and pass it along for others to enjoy if it doesn't pass muster).

I think the Xtherm MAX is amazingly warm for as light as it is and provides more lateral support than a vertical tube pad. However, in my experience full time hanging in a variety of hammocks I have found the vertical pads, e.g. Exped Downmat and Synmat, to provide a better sleeping experience than the horizontal tube pad system. Notwithstanding, I definitely plan on hanging on to the MAX because I think it excels for ground/snow usage.

An exception is that I really like using a TR Trekker Torso length (horizontal tubes) in conjunction with a foot pad for summer conditions in the Hammocktent Gamma UL. This allows the Gamma UL to easily fold under me, and hence, making getting in/out and using in chair mode much nicer. Plus, in my experience it is much better to moderately inflate pads instead of filling them up. A rule of thumb I use is the vertical tube pad needs to still fold over in half when inflated.

Last thing, for $159 plus shipping for the large massdrop TR Xthem Xlite mummy isn't really a super deal. With a little patience and scouring the web you can do better, as I managed to do.

Hammock
    DIY 1.6 Hexon 72"x11'
    Tarp
    DIY hex
    Insulation
    UGQ TQ&UQ/DIY's
    Suspension
    UCR's
    Images
    Thanks for the reassurance, Trailslug. I ordered one not knowing anything about pads. I've been into hammocks since I started backpacking, so when I found out I needed one to hike in Philmont with the scouts (they require tents), I quickly learned how much I didn't know about pads. Ultimately, this is the one I settled on, and waited for a Massdrop!

So, it's comforting to know other hangers are pleased with this pad for ground use.
    "The trees were like lace where the star-beams could chase, each leaf was a jewel agleam.

The soft white hush lapped the Northland and wrapped us round in a crystalline dream."

Robert Service

Hammock
    WBBB XLC/R.R 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    WB Superfly UGQ WD
    Insulation
    HG/LocoL/AHE/UGQ
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    I don't really know anything about pads either. I jumped straight into quilts.
    Is that normal for a pad to be inflatable? I always thought that pads were those blue foam pads. What a noob. Ha ha
    Hanging in the woods, paddlin and catching trout- My kind of living...

Hammock
    Amok Draumr 3.0
    Tarp
    Amok
    Insulation
    Synmat 9 LW
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    there's both

inflatable and self inflating, as well as the closed cell foam pads

Hammock
    WBBB XLC / Wide Chameleon
    Tarp
    TBD...
    Insulation
    XLC Wookie
    Suspension
    Whoopie + Dutch Bl
    Images
    Used to sleep in an old school nylon net hammock with a Thermarest pad a long time ago. Now that I've experienced sleeping with a good underquilt I hope I never need a pad in a hammock again. That said, we picked up two nice pads at an REI garage sale recently for a bit over $30 each (70% off). These were return items that reportedly leaked. Patching them up was easy. Worth considering if you want a good deal on pads and have an REI nearby.

• + New Posts