Hammock
    DD Travel
    Tarp
    DD XL
    Insulation
    Fat from burgers

20D Silpoly - is it quality stuff?

So I was looking for a new smaller tarp and after much searching found the WB Minifly to fit my needs perfectly.

But as I was ready to make an order, then of course a new(for me) question popped up: Do I want the 30D silnylon or 20D silpoly? (The 30D silpoly Bushwhack isn't exactly in my taste) So I am wondering what the wonderful users here would recommend. I've read extensively about the differences, but still can't say for sure whether the 20D silpoly is of enough strength that I won't have to be afraid of a branch falling down on it and causing my wallet to scream in agony.

You who have had real-life experience, does the 20D's rain protection and non-stretchiness make up for the possible "vulnerability" compared to 30D silnylon? In short, I am having a very difficult time deciding on this matter, since silpoly has been praised here by some, but it seems to be new enough of a fabric that the durability is an unknown.

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    I have seen and handled both, but only used 30D silnylon for camping - and I'm going to stick with that. The 20D silpoly feels thinner than the 30D silnylon and I don't like the noise it makes. Also, it seems that the needle holes don't close up as well, and that it's easier for the water to get through the (un-sealed) panel pulls. I have never had problems with stretchy silnylon tarps, and the weight penalty is minimal. So there's no reason for me pick 20D silpoly over 30D silnylon.

Hammock
    DIY GE
    Insulation
    Down TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    DynaGlide UCRs
    Silpoly is much more desirable as it doesn't sag when wet/cold. The 20D Silpoly is the standard 1.1 OSY stuff that Dutch and RSBTR use. You will find that nearly every cottage vendor is using 20D Silpoly as the standard material on their products. I would say that should be enough testament to its quality.

Also, Silpoly isn't that new. It has been out for a few years. I actually consider the 20D to be quite bomber. I have exclusively used 15D Silpoly for my own tarps and haven't had a single issue. Never a tear or a leak. When I'm making a tarp for someone who I know won't baby their gear, I use 20D as I find it to be very durable *for a light weight fabric*.

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    I've been using my Warbonnet 20D silpoly hard for over a year now. No issues. I've also used their tarps in 30D nylon for years. I don't notice a huge difference between the two. 20D is a little lighter but not a big deal. The thing I like is less bulk. Once in the pack you'll notice the difference when comparing the two.

Both are bulletproof. I don't baby my tarps but I don't abuse them either.

Hammock
    DD Travel
    Tarp
    DD XL
    Insulation
    Fat from burgers
    Appreciated greatly the different answers given!

I think I need to put some more thought into this, but I seem to be leaning in the 20D Silpoly direction as it doesn't seem to be as brittle as I first imagined. On the other hand silnylon feels like a safe bet, but silpoly still seems like the next step in tarps(Cuben fibre not included ofc).

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by RiotShaven View Post
    On the other hand silnylon feels like a safe bet, but silpoly still seems like the next step in tarps(Cuben fibre not included ofc).
    Pretty much. I tried all three and settled on silpoly. It's the perfect balance in cost, low-stretch, weight and strength. I like a little initial stretch in my tarps to get a nice taut pitch without having to be exact. After setup, there isn't any more stretch (little if any) after getting wet which is great. That was the only downside to nylon, but still wasn't that big of a deal.

Hammock
    WBBB, Chameleon
    Tarp
    Hennessy Hex/ WBSF
    Insulation
    HG, JrB
    My 20D silpoly Superfly has handled high winds, slapping branches and snow weight without any issues.

Hammock
    Half-wit (3 season), Chameleon (win
    Tarp
    Superfly, Thunderf
    Insulation
    EE Revelation 20*,
    Suspension
    Whoopie!
    I bought a Superfly in Bushwhacked 20D SilPoly as my first tarp, so I can’t compare it to silnylon. However, I’ve been very impressed with just how much abuse it ha taken. I’ve had it set up in my backyard with 25-30 mph winds and even th ugh I cringed every time I saw it flex and buffet, it never failed. Since that trial I’ve had it twice out in the snow and again it performed flawlessly.
    You don’t get the nice smooth lines like you see in the pictures with silnylon, but it sheds water and snow just as well. Also, I ditched the bungle tension devices I had attached to it simply because the silpoly doesn’t need it.
    Hope this helps.

• + New Posts