Tarp
    HG Journey
    Insulation
    HG incubator
    Suspension
    Cinch buckles
    Images

Trying to dial in winter set up.

So my gear is my grand trunk hammock. My snugpak uq. My -5 degree synthetic mummy bag. I have a woobie a thermarest sleeping pad and my grand truck all purpose tarp. I put my down jacket at the end of my hammock. I tie the end of my woobie like doors. And I have a inflatable pad at my feet. I don't have any down gear yet looking at buying that later this year. Is there anything else I am missing? Not super concerned with weight pulling a pulk.

Hammock
    DIY TCF Sage Green
    Tarp
    Noah's Tarp 12x12
    Insulation
    MAMW TQ, UGQ UQ
    Suspension
    webbing/whoopies
    Images
    I don't know if that Snugpack will get you down as far as it sounds like you're looking to camp in. Maybe lined with the woobie and the pas added will be sufficient, but there's no way to know until you test it out.

If possible test your gear in your back yard as close as possible to the temps you think you'll be facing on the trail.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Raven D/L
    Tarp
    SLD Winter Haven
    Insulation
    0 and 30 Zeppelin
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    I'd bring something that you can use to attach to the ends of your tarp to make doors. Until I get my Winterdream Tarp I just use two sections of an old tent fly that I've cut up and use mini clips to attach them along the ends of the fly. It sure isn't pretty but it does stop the wind and all that spindrift from coming in on you!

Hammock
    DIY bridge hammock
    Tarp
    OES/WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubator/Burrow
    Suspension
    WB Straps
    Images
    How many times have you gone out and tested your setup? That experience - knowing what keeps you warm, where you'll need to cinch up your insulation so don't get a cold spot, direction of the wind, etc - can make a world of difference.
    Syb
    Enjoy the elevation

Hammock
    Chameleon wide
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    JRB Wash4;H.Sierra
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    If you are trying to camp out in Michigan in winter, I heartily second SteveE's recommendation to jury-rig temporary doors for the ends of your tarp. It will make a huge difference in the rate at which you loose heat through your insulation. When I switched from an open ended tarp to something with makeshift doors, that change made a big difference in my comfort level. For now, until you can afford an up-grade, pieces cut from a Walmart blue tarp will get you through this season. Any kind of strong clip will suffice to attach your door pieces to your existing tarp. For now, who cares about looks? That can come later when hammock fever forces you to dip again and again into your wallet!

Hammock
    DH Sparrow #2779
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    UGQ TQ-HG/KAQ UQ
    Suspension
    Kevlar/Ti CinchBkl
    Images
    If adding to your quilts has to wait, I agree with the others that wind management and testing becomes the thing to do. My lesson came 9 miles into a wilderness area one Spring when the overnight low was 20° below the forecast and it snowed when the low was supposed to be 40°.

One night I was hanging in a place where the wind shifted and blew into the end of my setup. I froze. The next night, low temp was 1° different and I was totally snug nestled between a bunch of small pine trees.

Adding an underquilt protector and some kind of doors to the tarp would be my first move. (Actually, my first move was to add 0° down under and topquilts but if that's not in the cards...) Perhaps experiment with a full winter sock. The key word is experiment, and somewhere safe. In Winter, when things go wrong they go wrong really quickly.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Men hang out their signs indicative of their respective trades; shoe makers hang out a gigantic shoe; jewelers a monster watch, and the dentist hangs out a gold tooth; but up in the Mountains of New Hampshire, God Almighty has hung out a sign to show that there He makes men.
    - Daniel Webster

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Erok_ View Post
    So my gear is my grand trunk hammock. My snugpak uq. My -5 degree synthetic mummy bag. I have a woobie a thermarest sleeping pad and my grand truck all purpose tarp. I put my down jacket at the end of my hammock. I tie the end of my woobie like doors. And I have a inflatable pad at my feet. I don't have any down gear yet looking at buying that later this year. Is there anything else I am missing? Not super concerned with weight pulling a pulk.
    Also keep in mind your clothing management and that there is more to Winter camping than just sleeping warmly. You have all day to sty warm too. Hand and feet and head are important.
    Go to sleep warm is key and eating the right foods and hot drinks.
    Have fun on your Winter quest.
    Shug

Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    Dream hammock Raven
    Tarp
    HG Journey
    Insulation
    HG incubator
    Suspension
    Cinch buckles
    Images
    So it got down around 9 degrees last night. Wasn't cold until the wind changed direction on me. Last night I didn't have a way of making proper door I will see what I can find. My tarp is a weird shape looking at getting a different one hopefully it will be here soon.

Hammock
    Dream hammock Raven
    Tarp
    HG Journey
    Insulation
    HG incubator
    Suspension
    Cinch buckles
    Images

Hammock
    Robic XL 1.1oz 11'
    Tarp
    RSBTR PU4000 tarps
    Insulation
    UGQ 0* 20* 40* set
    Suspension
    Multi buckle web
    Quote Originally Posted by Erok_ View Post
    So it got down around 9 degrees last night. Wasn't cold until the wind changed direction on me. Last night I didn't have a way of making proper door I will see what I can find. My tarp is a weird shape looking at getting a different one hopefully it will be here soon.
    Go to Home depot or ?? and grab a 100% contractors cotton canvas painters drop cloth in 9x12'. Drape it over the hammock ridge line or hang on its own (you can leave the tarp up as well) and button the ends of the canvas using clothes pins or whatever you have. Let the canvas drape all the way to the ground. Wind problem solved and the canvas will still vent your moisture out. Nothing works better as the chill really sets in.
    Life is too Short to not feed the addiction....Hang on and explore the World

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast