Hammock
    Hennessy Expedition-Equip Mosquito-
    Tarp
    Hennessy and Yukon
    Insulation
    Snugpak Underblank
    Suspension
    Daisey chain
    Try this one. It is at vipon.com. https://www.vipon.com/product/4584953?from=index_0 This is the coupon site for Amazon. This is a 10X10 tarp for $10.

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY Tarps
    Insulation
    Leigh's UQ's
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bobamos View Post
    Try this one. It is at vipon.com. https://www.vipon.com/product/4584953?from=index_0 This is the coupon site for Amazon. This is a 10X10 tarp for $10.
    So it is actually $9.99 with code, Prime eligible, and comes with stakes and cords. This will be a loaner tarp for my friends that think I am going to let them use my cuben tarps again Couldn't pass it up for back yard knock around tarp. I do think the Chill Gorilla or Bear Butt are better but could not pass up this one for under $10 shipped

Thanks for posting

Hammock
    WalhallaCustom11'
    Tarp
    Walhalla Winter
    Insulation
    LL0°,CRO20°
    Suspension
    CL's/Buckles/Etc
    Quote Originally Posted by makingitoutdoors View Post
    Thank you! We have an Amazon credit after returning a gifted tent lol. I will do three of the bear butt tarps to get us started!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    THE HORROR!!!!! Not... a TENT!!!!!???????!!!!!???? Lol!!! Some people just don't do their research before giving gifts I guess.

Good luck and have a blast camping with your family! We spent a LOAD of money on our setups and I am glad we did for the most part as we are comfortable in most any situation. You just gotta make sure everything gets set up correctly to avoid any damage as replacement cost on our gear is a LOT!! I am however setting up a "guest hammock" over the winter so friends and family can try this whole hammock camping thing out. They just don't believe how wonderful it is!!
    www.wildcherrywoodworks.com (my business)
    www.mainechopstick.com (my other business)
    www.4alloutdoors.org (a friend's site I do reviews for)
    www.curlymaplechronicles.blogspot.com (my personal blog)

Hammock
    Dutch/SLD/WB/DIY
    Tarp
    DWG/HG/SLD/UGQ/DIY
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    Quote Originally Posted by rweb82 View Post
    If you want to go very inexpensive (albeit temporary), you can use a 9x9 poly tarp from any home improvement store. Pitch it in diamond configuration, and you'll have full coverage. This is what I used for a few trips before purchasing a dedicated hammock tarp. It worked great in some nasty weather. The main concern with cheap poly tarps, though, is that the grommets will eventually fall out. But I paid $3.99 clearance for a 2-pack of those tarps, so it wasn't a big deal. They are a super-cheap, yet functional option until you save up for nicer gear.

They were also very lightweight. Here's a link to the ones I'm referring to: https://www.menards.com/main/tools-h...0987027&ipos=1
    I know first hand that the Ozark Trail 6' x 8' All-Purpose Tarp, carried by both Amazon and Wal-Mart, finishes out to a true 6'x8' (unlike the other similarly sized brand of light-duty blue poly tarp WM carries) and provides just enough ridge line length on the diagonal to adequately cover an 11-foot hammock with a 110" ridge line. They don't pack that small, but they are reasonably light, quite sturdy, and pretty UV-resistant if left up long-term...

Smart graphic design for all your needs by BGD

Hammock
    DH Raven/Darien
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    Loco Libre/HG/SLD
    Suspension
    Myerstech/Becket
    Quote Originally Posted by kitsapcowboy View Post
    I know first hand that the Ozark Trail 6' x 8' All-Purpose Tarp, carried by both Amazon and Wal-Mart, finishes out to a true 6'x8' (unlike the other similarly sized brand of light-duty blue poly tarp WM carries) and provides just enough ridge line length on the diagonal to adequately cover an 11-foot hammock with a 110" ridge line. They don't pack that small, but they are reasonably light, quite sturdy, and pretty UV-resistant if left up long-term...

That tarp is a bit more heavy duty than the one I used. Mine was 4mil thickness, I believe. While not quite as robust, it did work very well- and weighed less than 1lb. With the 9x9 pitched in a diamond, the ridgeline was over 13' long.

I believe cheap poly tarps are the perfect option to use until you figure out if you're going to like hammock camping or not. Their cost is inconsequential; but they still function as well as any tarp (in terms of keeping you dry).

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Dutch/SLD/WB/DIY
    Tarp
    DWG/HG/SLD/UGQ/DIY
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    Quote Originally Posted by rweb82 View Post
    That tarp is a bit more heavy duty than the one I used. Mine was 4mil thickness, I believe. While not quite as robust, it did work very well- and weighed less than 1lb. With the 9x9 pitched in a diamond, the ridgeline was over 13' long.

I believe cheap poly tarps are the perfect option to use until you figure out if you're going to like hammock camping or not. Their cost is inconsequential; but they still function as well as any tarp (in terms of keeping you dry).

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
    I agree with your points above. My main reason for recommending the smaller rectangular tarp over the 9x9 square is that the same 90-degree corner on the 6x8 tarp is turned less obliquely and thereby seems to give good protection for the head/shoulder and feet when hung asym-style, even with less overhang of the hammock gathered end at the ridge line, allowing you to carry 40% less tarp (48 sq ft vs 81 sq ft) while still getting sufficient coverage.

Hammock
    DIY 1.6 HyperD knotty mod
    Tarp
    DIY Silpoly Hex
    Insulation
    HG Econ quilts
    I think I have 2 6x8 tarps we used as a footprint. Um might need to check for holes. What to use for guylines and attaching to hammock?

Hammock
    Dutch/SLD/WB/DIY
    Tarp
    DWG/HG/SLD/UGQ/DIY
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    I think I have 2 6x8 tarps we used as a footprint. Um might need to check for holes. What to use for guylines and attaching to hammock?
    Ideally, tied out to the trees from opposite tarp corners with 1.75mm Dyneema cord, like Zing-It or Lash-It, but in a pinch, a couple of cheap hanks of commercial Paracord and some spring links from Wal-Mart will allow you to set up a decent continuous ridge line with some Prusik loops using a trucker's hitch!

(I made these four complete 25-foot tarp ridge line set-ups for some friends with hardware (no knots!) for less than $7 each; they work well. Everything but the red knock-off Figure-9s came from WM.)
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by kitsapcowboy; 01-16-2018 at 11:00.

Hammock
    Chameleon / HH with 2qzq mod 4
    Tarp
    HH Hex Fly/ZqDoors
    Insulation
    LL Reaper / GP
    Suspension
    Beetle buckle

I use Lash it @ 1.75 mm and I don't hang my tarp off my hammock or suspension I just tie it around to tree for the V style
    Those who are too smart to engage in politics are punished by being governed by those who are dumber. - Plato

Hammock
    DH Raven/Darien
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    Loco Libre/HG/SLD
    Suspension
    Myerstech/Becket
    Quote Originally Posted by kitsapcowboy View Post
    I agree with your points above. My main reason for recommending the smaller rectangular tarp over the 9x9 square is that the same 90-degree corner on the 6x8 tarp is turned less obliquely and thereby seems to give good protection for the head/shoulder and feet when hung asym-style, even with less overhang of the hammock gathered end at the ridge line, allowing you to carry 40% less tarp (48 sq ft vs 81 sq ft) while still getting sufficient coverage.
    That makes total sense, Kitsap! I wasn't trying to dispute your suggestion with the 6x8 tarp in any way. I was pointing out that you can go even lighter weight and still get plenty of coverage. I do apologize if my response came off the wrong way. It is good to know that a 6x8 tarp will work just fine, pitched asymmetrically.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast