Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Hammock
    DIY 1.6 HyperD knotty mod
    Tarp
    DIY Silpoly Hex
    Insulation
    HG Econ quilts

Need three inexpensive tarps to get family of five on the trail, suggestions, hacks?

I've been trying to get my family of five on the trail for more than a year now. We are still short tarps for three adults. We have two Yukons we bought in used package deal for two kids. I am probably going to have to DIY underquilts and possibly top quilts but i'm not making the tarps. I sew and have no desire to fight with silpoly. Our gear is going to be bulky no matter what and adults are going to have to haul some for our 9 year old and thin 13 year old. I am afraid we will eventually be out of room if we get too bulky.

I need suggestions for inexpensive tarps. I have been watching used listings but haven't made any progress. I just want to get on the trail.

Thank you for your help.

Hammock
    DIY 11+ ft
    Tarp
    HH Sil Hex
    Insulation
    Wookie XL
    Suspension
    DIY Speed Hooks
    Hard to beat this one for the size, shape and price....the DOUBLE not the single which is too small...
    https://www.amazon.com/PahaQue-Wilde...ywords=pahaque

This one is a little bigger with no catenary cut but also a great deal...
    https://www.amazon.com/Chinook-Tarp-...s=chinook+tarp

Other, less bulky options that are inexpensive usually do not provide adequate coverage.

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    Squidbilly-Custom
    Insulation
    HG Econ TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    All Sorts of
    For cheap tarps, that you're just trying to get on the trail with, it'd be hard to beat the Bear Butt/Yukon Outfitters/Amazon brand tarps. They'll mostly be diamond shaped, but I know the YO and the BB both come fully rigged with all of the necessary guylines, for about $30. Hard to beat for the price, especially if this is just y'alls starter tarps.
    "The world is a complicated place Hobbes"
    "Whenever it seems that way, I take a nap in a tree and wait for dinner"
    -Calvin and Hobbes

Senior Member Pennsy Camp and Canoe's Avatar
    Hammock
    Dutchware 11' netless - Dark OG
    Tarp
    DIY 12' Winter hex
    Insulation
    LLG UQ, HG TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Cinch Buckle
    Images
    I'm not the best with a sewing machine, but I had little trouble DIY'ing my tarp, give it a shot. Otherwise, the tarps listed above will work, or just go cheap and get some blue ones from Walmart (I've done that). I'd recommend the Kelty 12' but can't seem to find one for less than $50 to $60 right now.

Good Luck

Hammock
    DH Raven/Darien
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    Loco Libre/HG/SLD
    Suspension
    Myerstech/Becket
    If you want to go very inexpensive (albeit temporary), you can use a 9x9 poly tarp from any home improvement store. Pitch it in diamond configuration, and you'll have full coverage. This is what I used for a few trips before purchasing a dedicated hammock tarp. It worked great in some nasty weather. The main concern with cheap poly tarps, though, is that the grommets will eventually fall out. But I paid $3.99 clearance for a 2-pack of those tarps, so it wasn't a big deal. They are a super-cheap, yet functional option until you save up for nicer gear.

They were also very lightweight. Here's a link to the ones I'm referring to: https://www.menards.com/main/tools-h...0987027&ipos=1

Hammock
    Dutchware, BearButt
    Tarp
    WB-SF, KC-Batwing
    Insulation
    PLUQ,AHE-NR,WL-BWK
    Suspension
    Various
    ^^ +1 for the Bear Butt rainfly. My son and I each have one. Through Amazon the price is right and I've not needed any extras. (Technically, not true but we each regularly carry a hank of paracord whenever we're out in the woods).

Don't get me wrong, I love my Superfly. But that's certainly not a starter tarp and the lines aren't included.

Hammock
    Chameleon, DIY
    Tarp
    Winterdream 12
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Quote Originally Posted by Pennsy Camp and Canoe View Post
    I'm not the best with a sewing machine, but I had little trouble DIY'ing my tarp, give it a shot. Otherwise, the tarps listed above will work, or just go cheap and get some blue ones from Walmart (I've done that). I'd recommend the Kelty 12' but can't seem to find one for less than $50 to $60 right now.

Good Luck
    Yes cheap blue tarps will work and the kelty 12 is a good inexpensive large tarp.

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Edge
    Insulation
    Wooki UQ; LL/HG TQ
    Suspension
    CL w/ Tensa 4
    Also inexpensive and comes fully rigged are the various Chill Gorilla options... but, seriously, if you want a fairly inexpensive tarp that is suitable for backpacking (especially considering the adult packs will have to carry some of the kids' gear as well) you really should just buy a kit to make your own silpoly tarps. I noticed Dutch's site has two...an asymmetric tarp ($41.85) and a winter tarp (i.e. one whose ends close off) ($57.25). I'd buy a kit first so you can see what's needed and follow it's instructions and then for the subsequent tarps either get more kits or watch the remnant section on RipStopBytheRoll and pick up your materials on clearance and go from there. (I DIY'd a summer under quilt following the instructions on Dutch's site and it turned out great...even though I had no sewing experience.)

Outfitting multiple family members is daunting on a budget...but DIY can take you a long ways. I just finished helping our youth group DIY 11' hammocks out of Dutch's 1.6 Hexon (excellent material!). Each kiddo was able to sew an 11' foot hammock (light and compact for backpacking) and a double ended stuff sack and splice dyneema Continuous Loops for the hammock and make polyester tree straps with attached mule tape (to Beckett Hitch to the hammocks' continuous loops) for a total of just $35 per hammock. All new materials from Dutch, at regular price! And the project was simple enough that a 12 year old could handle it with just a bit of supervision and instruction! Our group will be tackling tarps next...but, like you, I am dreading undertaking the tarps because they are so big and the material thin and slick. We need coverage for 16 people. I've picked up a few used tarps here and there and I've bought a Chill Gorilla (it is fine and will work and was cheap...but, man, I just can't hardly reconcile myself to how much heavier and bulkier they are than the silpoly cottage vender tarps that I'm spoiled by!) and I caught some Edge tarps on sale at 30% off at Warbonnet a while back...($67 each). That was a sweet deal since the Edge has long been my all time favorite summer tarp. Packs up really small but protects well. I've weathered some pretty intense thunderstorms under my Edge and stayed totally dry. But they are regular price now, back to $95 apiece. And who knows when if ever they will go back on sale. Warbonnet only does a couple sales a year it seems like and then just features certain items.

Good luck!!!
    Last edited by Dublinlin; 01-15-2018 at 13:39.

Senior Member Tyroler Holzhacker's Avatar
    Hammock
    DH DL Sparrow/SL Darien
    Tarp
    MacCat/WBSuperfly
    Insulation
    LL/JRB/DIY down
    Suspension
    MSH/Whoopies/strps
    Images
    Wally World Poly tarps are cheap, but not light or very packable. Car camping use is ok though. Definitely not for backpacking.

Hammock
    DIY 1.6 HyperD knotty mod
    Tarp
    DIY Silpoly Hex
    Insulation
    HG Econ quilts
    Thank you! We have an Amazon credit after returning a gifted tent lol. I will do three of the bear butt tarps to get us started!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast