SLD SL, WBBB XLC, TTTG
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    AHE, HG
    Suspension
    Various
    Great video and a beautiful area.

I get nervous if I have to hang from a burned tree, but I have had to do it. I'm glad you didn't have any problems. Sometimes it's easier with only one hammock hanger in the group to find a safe hang in a burned area. Lots of times there is a small pocket that didn't get touched by the fire. It was smart to test the trees before you set up the hammocks. You never know if the roots have been damaged and the tree is ready to come down.

Thanks for sharing.

Hammock
    Hammocktent 90*, Sparrow, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    light & waterproof
    Insulation
    Ongoing experiment
    Suspension
    Ongoing experiment
    If you would like to visit some MUST SEE country in NE Oregon check out the Eagle Cap Wilderrness. Simply fantastically beautiful country and looks like it should be in MT .

EDIT: Oops, almost forgot, ain't true without pics.

EagleCapWild_09202012_43.jpg
    Last edited by OlTrailDog; 01-20-2018 at 15:11.

Hammock
    SLD Streamliner DL 1.1 Marpat camo
    Tarp
    AHE Shangri La
    Insulation
    JRB MW3 or HHSS
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Nice video! I did several days in the Eagle Cap wilderness a little south of where you were 10 years ago. Watching your video makes me want to go back!

--Kurt
    My hiking/backpacking Youtube channel: Youtube

My BackpackGearTest reviews: Reviews

If you have an HH, then you should read my SuperShelter review: HH Super Shelter

Hammock
    SLD Streamliner DL 1.1 Marpat camo
    Tarp
    AHE Shangri La
    Insulation
    JRB MW3 or HHSS
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by OlTrailDog View Post
    If you would like to visit some MUST SEE country in NE Oregon check out the Eagle Cap Wilderrness. Simply fantastically beautiful country and looks like it should be in MT .
    EDIT: Oops, almost forgot, ain't true without pics.
    EagleCapWild_09202012_43.jpg
    Yep, reminds me of the Alps. Do you know if Eagle Cap has been impacted by fires? His Wenaha hike looked pretty devastated, and its been 10 years since I've been to Eagle Cap. Here's one of my photos.

20080726_19.jpg

--Kurt
    My hiking/backpacking Youtube channel: Youtube

My BackpackGearTest reviews: Reviews

If you have an HH, then you should read my SuperShelter review: HH Super Shelter

Senior Member mountain wanderer's Avatar
    Hammock
    Simply Light Designs - Trail Lair
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    HG UQ / HG TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Straps
    Quote Originally Posted by KSC View Post
    Great video and a beautiful area.

I get nervous if I have to hang from a burned tree, but I have had to do it. I'm glad you didn't have any problems. Sometimes it's easier with only one hammock hanger in the group to find a safe hang in a burned area. Lots of times there is a small pocket that didn't get touched by the fire. It was smart to test the trees before you set up the hammocks. You never know if the roots have been damaged and the tree is ready to come down.

Thanks for sharing.
    We were really nervous about hanging from those trees. The second night a couple guys ended sleeping on the ground, but luckily the trees got better as we moved up the rivers.

Hammock
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    HG UQ / HG TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Straps
    If you would like to visit some MUST SEE country in NE Oregon check out the Eagle Cap Wilderrness. Simply fantastically beautiful country and looks like it should be in MT
    Epic puppy pic!

Quote Originally Posted by kwpapke View Post
    Nice video! I did several days in the Eagle Cap wilderness a little south of where you were 10 years ago. Watching your video makes me want to go back!

--Kurt
    Quote Originally Posted by kwpapke View Post
    Yep, reminds me of the Alps. Do you know if Eagle Cap has been impacted by fires? His Wenaha hike looked pretty devastated, and its been 10 years since I've been to Eagle Cap. Here's one of my photos.

--Kurt
    This is definitely one I need to check out! Are you able to find places to hang there?

Hammock
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    HG UQ / HG TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Straps
    @OlTrailDog Thanks for the tip about the Eagle Cap Wilderness! The more I research it, the more I love it. I think that I might have to go there in 2018! Thanks!

Hammock
    Tarp
    light & waterproof
    Insulation
    Ongoing experiment
    Suspension
    Ongoing experiment
    One word of advice. It can be a very busy place due to being rather spectacular country. So you may want to pick your visit accordingly, e.g. week days. I've also back packed around in October (one advantage about OR is the extended season) and didn't see a soul in the back country. However, you also pay a penalty in reduced daylight, and I really dislike the long nights spent couped up during that time of the year. Sigh, trade offs I guess.

I've also seen some real cool "fly over Google Earth trips" folks have posted. Great for getting some beta on potential trips.

Hammock
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    HG UQ / HG TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Straps
    One word of advice. It can be a very busy place due to being rather spectacular country. So you may want to pick your visit accordingly, e.g. week days. I've also back packed around in October (one advantage about OR is the extended season) and didn't see a soul in the back country. However, you also pay a penalty in reduced daylight, and I really dislike the long nights spent couped up during that time of the year. Sigh, trade offs I guess.

I've also seen some real cool "fly over Google Earth trips" folks have posted. Great for getting some beta on potential trips.
    Yeah, I get the feeling that it is popular. There are quite a few videos on it. It seems like the southern half is the one every one goes to.

Hammock
    Tarp
    light & waterproof
    Insulation
    Ongoing experiment
    Suspension
    Ongoing experiment
    Quote Originally Posted by mountain wanderer View Post
    Yeah, I get the feeling that it is popular. There are quite a few videos on it. It seems like the southern half is the one every one goes to.
    Actually I think the northern part accessed through Lostine, but especially Joseph, are the most popular. Joseph is kind of a trendy little town that is definitely out of character for the rest of the small towns in NE OR. I would say that the Lakes Basin area and Eagle Cap Mtn. are probably the most popular destinations.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast