Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

What is dif between overfill vs temp rating?

Sorry another noob question...does one ounce of overfill make a 40 degree quilt 35 degree? Is the overfill put in a certain area...trying to figure out how to order my first uq...so many options :confused

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY Tarps
    Insulation
    Leigh's UQ's
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Stlouisbilly View Post
    Sorry another noob question...does one ounce of overfill make a 40 degree quilt 35 degree? Is the overfill put in a certain area...trying to figure out how to order my first uq...so many options :confused
    Temp rating is the temperature most people can use the quilt at.

Overfill is insurance to make sure you can keep using it at that temp as the quilt ages. It also helps keep the down consistent in the chamber. I think you will find that most of the cottage vendors here already use some overfill and their ratings are accurate compared to temp ratings you see in the general market.

Hammock
    XLC/SLD 11' Tree Runner/BB
    Tarp
    WB MiniFly/SLD WH
    Insulation
    Jacks 'R' Better
    Suspension
    MyersTech/Dyneema
    Images
    For some TQs I wouldn't say the temp ratings reflect comfort & UQ ratings can vary for folks depending on how they are installed.

My UQ overperforms it's temp rating by quite a bit.

There are many many factors involved. the individual, wind, moisture, tarp, hammock, top cover, bug net, clothes.....etc...

That is why some folks build in a 10° cushion when they choose their TQ/UQ.

For TQs....I prefer to provide the cushion with an fleece quilt liner & a overfill of 1oz.

Some say 1 oz. of overfill adds 5° but I am not sure that is true. Hard to measure.

Example..my TQ is rated @ 25°-30° but i expect a certain amount of discomfort when I approach those ratings.

When I added a fleece quilt liner these were the temps that I was comfortable @:

Date Time Low Temp High Temp Precipitation Wind Chimes Humidity
    01/04/18 08:00:00 AM 20° 27° no Chatty 31%
    01/01/18 06:00:00 AM 14° 22° no Chatty 35%
    01/02/18 05:30:00 AM 13° 19° no Light Chimes 37%
    01/03/18 03:30:00 AM 19° 23° no No Chimes 37%
    01/07/18 07:30:00 AM 15° 21° no No Chimes 38%

without the fleece quilt liner & the same TQ I was not comfortable at these low temps:

Time Low Temp High Temp Precipitation Wind Chimes Humidity

03:30:00 AM 23° 28° no Light Chimes 46%
    06:30:00 AM 27° 34° no Chatty 46%

This is my experience. Others may have a different story.

Note: I never felt uncomfortable on my back side with the UQ in any of these scenarios.

Typical Clothes warn:
    Patagonia Cap. Mid-Base w/zip & Patagonia thermal bottoms, possum socks, Merino hat, Buff (neck and mouf), 1 hand warmer
    Last edited by Vanhalo; 01-16-2018 at 09:50.
    "...in Florida, she felt air conditioning for the first time, and it was cold and unnatural upon her skin."

Hammock
    HH Expl UL, Chameleon
    Tarp
    HH Hex
    Insulation
    HG Econ 20 or HHSS
    Suspension
    Beetles n straps
    Correct me please,
    I know everyone sleeps different and a 10 degree may work for some but not for others and that environmental conditions come in to play.

My understanding is that thickness/height of loft determines the temperature rating, overfill just helps maintain that loft by adding more than the required amount of down fill for a given loft?
    If it increases the loft then the insulation value goes up, if the loft stays the same(chamber size restriction) then the insulating value is the same, however maintaining that desired loft is better due to the extra down.
    Nec Aspera Terrent
    Lightfighter

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY Tarps
    Insulation
    Leigh's UQ's
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Badweissenbier View Post
    Correct me please,
    I know everyone sleeps different and a 10 degree may work for some but not for others and that environmental conditions come in to play.

My understanding is that thickness/height of loft determines the temperature rating, overfill just helps maintain that loft by adding more than the required amount of down fill for a given loft?
    If it increases the loft then the insulation value goes up, if the loft stays the same(chamber size restriction) then the insulating value is the same, however maintaining that desired loft is better due to the extra down.
    Yep, you nailed it!

Hmmm...thanks...so can u specify where to put overfill, like bottom 3 channels? It's really cool u can design something to such exact specs

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY Tarps
    Insulation
    Leigh's UQ's
    Images
    Hmmm...thanks...so can u specify where to put overfill, like bottom 3 channels? It's really cool u can design something to such exact specs
    Don't get caught up too much in the overfill. Pick the length, temp range, and just do it!

Btw the overfill would probably do you more good in the side channels instead of the bottom channels. The bottom channels are in the optimal position for full loft but the side channels benefit from overfill to help keep the down from settling to bottom. You see how chasing the overfill can be over analyzed

Put an extra ounce of overfill in spread over the entire UQ for insurance and if you are pushing the temp limits on a trip just carry a torso size pad to bump up the heat.

Thanks hangout ��

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    I got two ounces of overfill on my first UQ (a 20* HG Phoenix). Theoretically, that made it a 10* Phoenix.

However, I sold that UQ and decided that overfill was for over-analytical folks and those who can only afford one UQ. I have subsequently bought 40*, 20* and 0* quilts, and none of them have overfill. I follow the 10* buffer rule - I want a 10* buffer over expected lows. So if the expected low is 50* F, I'll carry the 40* Phoenix. If the expected low is 30* F, I'll carry the 20* Phoenix, etc., and so on.

Generally, this has worked for me, but sometimes I camp in places that aren't near any recording weather stations. In November I went camping with an expected low of 37* F, so I took my 20* Phoenix. However, the actual low was 23* F, and the 20* Phoenix just wasn't cutting it - my feet were freezing. Eventually, I got the bright idea to put my wool anorak in the foot box and my feet became happy. Next time I go camping in that area, I'll probably use a 20* buffer, and I'll take my 0* Incubator!
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    OzTrail???
    Insulation
    Tentsile sky pad
    Suspension
    DIY single line
    Your assumption is very incorrect.

For all insulation materials there is an optimal volume or loft.
    If thus is a sheet tyoe synthetic material that loft is already calculated by the manufacturer and built in.

With down insulation loft is usually refered to as fill power or loft.

Manufacteres carefully calculate the volume of the cell and place only the required volume of insulation to achieve maximuim loft for that fill power down.

Overfill is the practice of placing more insulation than is required for that given space-therefore REDUCING the thermal efficiency of the material-more insulation =denser=less thermal insulation

Down only insulate by providing a tiny amount of matter in a given volume of air.
    The AIR is actually what is providing the buffer zone and therefore the thermal insulation.

Overfilling does feel and look better in my opinion but does reduce performance

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast