Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by juskojj View Post
    Would a Celtic knot work instead of the locked whipped knot?
    I use a Celtic knot slider in my mini-ucrs and spliced eyes that connect to button knots. I like that they have a little vertical heft compared the the flat/horizontal whipping knots. It gives me something substantial to grip.

Before final tying off on the Celtic knot slider I run each rope end through the middle of the eye loop - much like on a whipping knot - so it cannot slide off the eye or slide the other direction along the length of the rope.

I don't have a photo of my spliced eyes handy, but my mini-ucrs are about 3.5" long with about 2.5' buries.

Lots of thanks to Sqidmark, MikekiM, Redoleary and others. Their contributions sure made it easy for me.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Rest in peace, sqidmark. You loved complexity more than anyone I've ever known!

True story - one of the first times I met sqidmark I watched him spend 2 and a half hours to set up his hammock kit. I eventually went over and asked him if I could help. Once I saw how complex his setup was, I knew that Mister Simplicity (me) couldn't help him!

It's kinda like the old saying, "Why does a dog lick his nether regions?" And the answer is, "Because he can." That was sqidmark.
    Last edited by SilvrSurfr; 04-03-2020 at 01:23.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG DCF-All of them
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Kevlar + Beckett
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by rodentface View Post
    I use a Celtic knot slider in my mini-ucrs and spliced eyes that connect to button knots. I like that they have a little vertical heft compared the the flat/horizontal whipping knots. It gives me something substantial to grip.

Before final tying off on the Celtic knot slider I run each rope end through the middle of the eye loop - much like on a whipping knot - so it cannot slide off the eye or slide the other direction along the length of the rope.

I don't have a photo of my spliced eyes handy, but my mini-ucrs are about 3.5" long with about 2.5' buries.

Lots of thanks to Sqidmark, MikekiM, Redoleary and others. Their contributions sure made it easy for me.

Glad to see you're using them.. Looks great. And the celtic knot is nice touch giving you some substance to grab onto when milking. If you take the tag end of your line shown above and route it through the split ring, you can create a 2:1 advantage and it's a little easier to adjust the line, especially when it is overhead. I fig-8 the excess RL and let it dangle just under the split ring acting like a stopper in the unlikely event the ucr slips.. though the only time I have had that happen was when I was playing with ultra slippery Jerry Brown Hollow Core Spectra... that was a bust.

Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    Rest in peace, sqidmark. You loved complexity more than anyone I've ever known!

True story - one of the first times I met sqidmark I watched him spend 2 and a half hours to set up his hammock kit. I eventually went over and asked him if I could help. Once I saw how complex his setup was, I knew that Mister Simplicity (me) couldn't help him!

It's kinda like the old saying, "Why does a dog lick his nether regions?" And the answer is, "Because he can." That was sqidmark.

You have him pegged...

As you may know, I became guardian of so much of his gear, most of which is now out and about the world, I hope. A lot of what is left are items that I can't for life of me figure out what they are for. He made tons of little bits and bobs, end keepers, color-coded this and that...

I also have his bag of scraps.. little lengths of cord with bizarre knots and hitches. Likely just experiments and things bouncing around his head.

When I was sorting through is gear with his wife, we figured it would be a good idea to set up his winter tarp together, since she really had no idea how to do it. That was a blast. She could remember little details like.. I think it should be wider, or that flap never hung like that and I had to figure out what tidbit I needed to use to resolve the issue. He might have had the most over-engineered tree straps ever... but sure as sh_t they worked how wanted them to....
    Yes, my pack weighs 70lbs, but it's all light weight gear....
    Bob's brother-in-law

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG DCF-All of them
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Kevlar + Beckett
    Images
    One of the things I inherited was his HG DCF tarp.. I just realized it is the one pictured in the first post. The entire ridge line setup, the ucrs, diamond knots and zingit RLs are still the ones I am using today.. exactly what you see pictured.

Though our tarps were set up almost identically, I kept his and PIF'd mine just to keep his stuff out on the trail.

Quote Originally Posted by sqidmark View Post
    Yes, my pack weighs 70lbs, but it's all light weight gear....
    Bob's brother-in-law

Quote Originally Posted by MikekiM View Post
    Technora.. never used it. I'd be interested in knowing more.
    it's similar to kevlar in properties and amsteel. it's braided, it's light weight and 8 x stronger than steel for it's weight. high temp resistance ect. hold's knots very well and can be spliced. comes in variety of strength's.

Here's some links for you:
    http://www.twinline-usa.com/prod_specs.php
    https://www.teijinaramid.com/wp-cont...e-Technora.pdf

i bought this and have been enjoying it:
    https://estore.twinline-usa.com/coll...nora-600-spool

Quote Originally Posted by rodentface View Post

awesome! i've been playing and think i did the same as you to keep it from sliding off. i'm not to worried about the top side (that connects to ring or diamond knot ect)

Quote Originally Posted by MikekiM View Post
    One of the things I inherited was his HG DCF tarp.. I just realized it is the one pictured in the first post. The entire ridge line setup, the ucrs, diamond knots and zingit RLs are still the ones I am using today.. exactly what you see pictured.

Though our tarps were set up almost identically, I kept his and PIF'd mine just to keep his stuff out on the trail.
    sorry to hear of his passing, never knew him but he sounds like a great guy and always said when someone passes

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12