Tarp
    DIY Xenon Winter
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    All of them! Ugh.
    Images

Introducing...SMURL - Split Mini-Ucr Ridge Line

In another current thread, as I recall it's about the use of the "vee", Redoleary posted this:

Quote Originally Posted by Redoleary View Post
    I use the V as well and a UCR as the adjustable bit...aka no hardware. The following two videos show my setup, the first one a overview and the second one a slight modification to the first.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_9wH6ONGSu8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-5qiN1XCpg0&t=11s
    Two summers ago several of us collaborated on what unknowingly turned out to be a variation of Red's system, we call it the mini-ucr crl.

Since many folks prefer to use split suspension, I've come up with yet another derivation of Red's system I call the SMURL - Split Mini-Ucr Ridge Line. Though it uses 2 bits of hardware, it's minimal.

Make two zingit lines at whatever length you're comfortable with. Attach a dutch hook at one end of each. Make a mini-ucr for each. At the tarp end of each ucr, make a small loop which will be closed by a Grizz locked whipping knot (or whatever he calls it) as a slider (like a ranger bead). As Red does, larkshead a small diamond or button knot (shown below) loop to each end of the tarp. The ucr loop goes over the diamond knot and the whipping knot with the slider used to hold it closed. According to Red's video, that last part may be completely unnecessary, except for the paranoid among us (me).

Snap the Dutch Hook into position around each tree in the usual Dutchware CRL fashion. No vee. Slide the ucr at each end to adjust position and tension as desired. Can be left attached to the tarp or removed for storage, whatever floats your boat.

It's about 7* out and I'm not setting up the tarp, so these photos will have to do for now. Does not display the Dutch Hook very well, but I assume most of us are already quite familiar with it's use.

This ucr is from a modified mini-ucr crl. It uses reflectit which I don't recommend for this type of application, only because the metalic thread can be harsh sliding on the zingit over time. Feel free to substitute prusik's for the ucr's if so desired.

The plain whipping at the right hand end is to prevent loss of constriction. It works. I prefer .9mm poly blind repair cord for whipping zingit.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG DCF-All of them
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Kevlar + Beckett
    Images
    Thanks for posting this...

As you know, I have deployed the mini-ucr's all over my kit. I am using zingit on zingit. The originals are on my CRL and have a lot of use on them. More often than not, I forget to slide the whipping knot down to lock over the diamond knot and I have never had one come loose.

Last night I used the setup as you describe.. on two separate lines instead of a CRL. So easy to adjust and tighten, even with gloves on. I was never a fan of the V. Instead, I have the SMURL come off one side of the tree and my tree strap come off the opposite side.

Not sure if I have ever mentioned it.. but I HATE prusiks. Like, DEEP HATRED!
    Yes, my pack weighs 70lbs, but it's all light weight gear....
    Bob's brother-in-law

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    Squidbilly-Custom
    Insulation
    HG Econ TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    All Sorts of
    I was in with y'all for a short while on the previous thread, and I still use my Micro-UCRs on my CRL and love them. I've helped a couple other fella's on the forums build there own at this past Yate's Hang, thanks for all of y'alls help originally! I agree entirely with the hatred of prussiks!
    "The world is a complicated place Hobbes"
    "Whenever it seems that way, I take a nap in a tree and wait for dinner"
    -Calvin and Hobbes

Hammock
    DIY GE
    Insulation
    Down TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    DynaGlide UCRs
    This is the same setup I use on my new Cuben 1/2 thunderfly. I’m very happy with it at least with yard pitches.

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    Hinterland gear
    Insulation
    down bag
    Suspension
    strap & E.T.'s
    Images
    Very cool, I like the acronym, and thanks for the tip o’ the hat to my system.
    Good luck,
    RED

My Youtube Channel

Deep peace of the running wave to you.
    Deep peace of the flowing air to you.
    Deep peace of the quiet earth to you.
    Deep peace of the shining stars to you.
    Deep peace without end to you.
    adapted from - ancient gaelic runes

Would a Celtic knot work instead of the locked whipped knot?

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG DCF-All of them
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Kevlar + Beckett
    Images
    Sure it would. However you run the risk of sliding the celtic knot right off the eye and losing it. Which is why we opted for the blocked whipping knot. Can't lose it.

You could also put the eye through the legs of and up and over the diamond knot, and do without a slider. Works fine, though it's a little more of a challenge undo if you need to swap out often.

FWIW.. I am still using the same mini ucrs Sqid and I made three or four years ago. And, I have done away with the diamond knot & slider all together. It shortens the min required distance by about four inches. I just have one set of SMURLs permanently attached to each tarp. I also did away with the Dutch hook in favor of a diamond knot & fig 8 splice.
    Last edited by MikekiM; 04-02-2020 at 08:13.
    Bob's brother-in-law

Quote Originally Posted by MikekiM View Post
    Sure it would. However you run the risk of sliding the celtic knot right off the eye and losing it. Which is why we opted for the blocked whipping knot. Can't lose it.

You could also put the eye through the legs of and up and over the diamond knot, and do without a slider. Works fine, though it's a little more of a challenge undo if you need to swap out often.

FWIW.. I am still using the same mini ucrs Sqid and I made three or four years ago. And, I have done away with the diamond knot & slider all together. It shortens the min required distance by about four inches. I just have one set of SMURLs permanently attached to each tarp. I also did away with the Dutch hook in favor of a diamond knot & fig 8 splice.
    so i'm guessing you just girth hitched it to the d-ring or gross gain or what ever is on your tarp and left the rest the same? i know i say it earlier but i can't remember the length of your buried section is 2.5" with the whipping to hold right? or did you go 3"

Also curious how long the rest of your cord is beyond the SMURL that connects to your stake, assuming your using it that way as well.

Thanks!

any experience using technora for ucrs?
    Last edited by juskojj; 04-02-2020 at 13:55.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG DCF-All of them
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Kevlar + Beckett
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by juskojj View Post
    so i'm guessing you just girth hitched it to the d-ring or gross gain or what ever is on your tarp and left the rest the same? i know i say it earlier but i can't remember the length of your buried section is 2.5" with the whipping to hold right? or did you go 3"

Also curious how long the rest of your cord is beyond the SMURL that connects to your stake, assuming your using it that way as well.

Thanks!

any experience using technora for ucrs?
    Some I have tied on, some spliced and others girth hitch. Depends on whether I need to keep the ucr really short or not. I use zingit on zingit and a 2.5" - 3" bury works fine for ground lines and ridge line. Always put the whipping around the end. If it is really windy and you're concerned about slippage (never had it happen) you can throw a half hitch right at the ridge hardware..

I used them on ground lines for one winter.. don't do that any longer. As I recall, I had eight to ten feet on the front side and six feet on the back.. I used to have my tarps setup with a dedicated front and back. No longer do that either. I do use the mini ucrs on all of my tarp ridge lines and generally have about fifteen to twenty feet and have never come up short.
    Bob's brother-in-law

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG DCF-All of them
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Kevlar + Beckett
    Images
    Technora.. never used it. I'd be interested in knowing more.
    Bob's brother-in-law

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast