Tarp
    custom pentagon
    Insulation
    down hammock or UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by backy View Post
    That's actually really interesting, I'm curious how many people this applies to? I'd also be interested in seeing the data on how it compares to a tent...
    Do you think it might have to do with sleeping outside vs inside? Maybe fresh air helps sleep better? or something unaccounted like that?
    Clearly you're a scientist who is wanting to account for all the possible variables. I'm joking and I don't mean that as a slight to you.

Pretty much 99% of us are aware of this "data" whether we have a fitbit, etc., or not, and would say it applies to all of us. But its kinda fun to look at and compare what you get at home vs. the hammock. In all fairness, some of it could be the outdoors, but then there are other things about the outdoors that might cause you to wake more, so I figure that's a bit of a wash. For me, I get significantly longer periods of sleep in between waking. At least one long period, much longer than at home, and its easier for me to get up and do what I need to do and then go back to sleep. Subsequently, the fitbit I've had for little over a year confirms the data already registered in my mind. Fun to look at, though.

There are other "scientific" reasons why presented data should be hypothesized on the hammock side of things, as opposed to whatever other variable could exist. Lots of other variables, for sure, only 1 direct one.

p.s. not a lot of us are going to have tent vs. hammock data to present, LOL; again, that data is engrained in my head as well.
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

Hammock
    Dutch Netless
    Tarp
    DIY Hex
    Insulation
    HG, JRB, ENO
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Do you think it might have to do with sleeping outside vs inside? Maybe fresh air helps sleep better? or something unaccounted like that?
    I was actually sleeping inside hanging from a stand. However, I always sleep better in a hammock regardless if in/out. I agree with Tikker on the cradle comment (I just don't move around much). The only thing I remember about sleeping in a tent is that I always woke up with sore shoulders/hips and did not feel rested. With a hammock, I wake up refreshed and ready to go...

Hammock
    ENO Double, Hennessy Expedition
    That’s interesting. I actually stopped wearing my Apple Watch to track sleep when I’m in my hammock. I use an app called AutoSleep.

By all subjective measures, I know I sleep great in the hammock and wake up refreshed. The watch, however, tells a very different story and always records poor sleep. My theory is that the watch registers the gentle rocking motion of the hammock as restlessness.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Amok Draumr 3.0
    Tarp
    Amok
    Insulation
    Synmat 9 LW
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by cmyoung19 View Post
    My theory is that the watch registers the gentle rocking motion of the hammock as restlessness.

how does it compare to regular sleep? I didn't think apple watch had a sleep tracking app, since it doesn't have enough battery to even last 24 hours

I know I see a HUGE difference in my movement between hammock and bed

Hammock
    ENO Double, Hennessy Expedition
    Quote Originally Posted by Tikker View Post
    how does it compare to regular sleep? I didn't think apple watch had a sleep tracking app, since it doesn't have enough battery to even last 24 hours

I know I see a HUGE difference in my movement between hammock and bed
    I have the second gen watch and battery life is much improved over gen 1. Normal use I can get close to two full days, plus it charges fairly quickly so I can put it on the charger while I’m in the shower and getting ready in the morning after I’ve worn it to bed.

I use a third party app called AutoSleep for tracking. Sleeping in bed I think it gives a pretty fair representation - if I feel refreshed and slept well it’s usually a good sleep score and the opposite is also true. In the hammock though, I invariably have a horrid sleep score in the app (15-20%), even though I know I slept like a baby and am fully refreshed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    SMR Pares/Chameleon
    Tarp
    Smr Stratos/Nube
    Insulation
    20deg loco libre
    Suspension
    SMR EZ slings
    Just started tracking my sleep with the Garmin epix, the difference between my hammock and bed is almost unreal. I sleep 10x better in the hammock.

Hammock
    Amok Draumr 3.0
    Tarp
    Amok
    Insulation
    Synmat 9 LW
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by cmyoung19 View Post
    I have the second gen watch and battery life is much improved over gen 1. Normal use I can get close to two full days,

really? my wife's taps out at 18 hours, unless she's fiddling, and then barely gets thru the work day

regardless, sleep tracking is eye opening

Hammock
    SuperiorGear or Dutch netless
    Tarp
    custom pentagon
    Insulation
    down hammock or UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Images
    The 6+ has always had more than 24 hrs battery. When I first got it and didn't have some of the apps I use now, I could go days without a charge. But just need 8-10 hrs. Still, the Fitbit and other trackers are more efficient for that sort of thing.

The update to my Fitbit now breaks sleep time into 4 categories: deep, light, REM, and awake. Says the common average for deep is about 1.5 hrs which is hard for me to fathom, but that's what it says I'm averaging. Seems like when I get less REM sleep that I'm more tired. Haven't been out in the hammock since the update, so I'm curious to see how deep sleep might be affected, or REM. My hypothesis is that it will show more deep sleep and less REM, figuring that it must be picking up some sort of movement that throws that period into REM and might have less of that in the hammock.

All interesting, though not sure its much of an informational breakthrough. I pretty much know when I'm getting better sleep. I can tell on Sundays coming back from a weekend trip.
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

Hammock
    Amok Draumr 3.0
    Tarp
    Amok
    Insulation
    Synmat 9 LW
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    the most interesting one I saw was "Sleep as android"(assuming there's an apple version as well). it was neat in that it integrated heart rate into the graph, and would capture snoring events

was really interesting to see how much more rested you felt when your heart rate dipped below 65 and stayed there for hours at a time

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12