11 ft DIY 1.6 HyperD Diamd Ripstop
    Tarp
    UGQ WD 13 End Mods
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Ultimate Straps
    Quote Originally Posted by BoundryWaters View Post
    Nope! If you want the real deal then come and see Mr. Watertooner! He's the true BURGER KING!
    So, the profile name of "Burger King" has not been claimed if you two want to fight over claiming it!
    ◘ May 17-19: BACONFEST @ Interstate WI SP ◘ Oct 3-6: miCHILIgan @ Middleville, MI ◘ YouTube: karlawithak216 ◘ Instagram: i.am.karla.with.a.k ◘ 99 months

Hammock
    WB XLC
    Tarp
    Thunderfly
    Quote Originally Posted by Karla "with a k" View Post
    So, the profile name of "Burger King" has not been claimed if you two want to fight over claiming it!
    Hey, I'm a lover not a fighter. I'll just stick with what I've got...and keep eating Watertooners Hamburgers...

Hammock
    a few DIY builds
    Tarp
    minifly (untested)
    Insulation
    CDT and EE Rev
    Suspension
    Straps so far
    Everyone's trip reports and the MJS article were sure fun to read!

Hammock
    WBBB XLC; WBRR
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Wooki UQ Mamba TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    The next outing will have to include a photo shoot themed as a search for the Burger King - kinda along the lines of the Hickery Brothers' Maple King series.

the-real-burger-king.jpg
    The game is the best teacher.

Hammock
    HH UExpl; WBBB; JRB BMBH
    Tarp
    CCS; HH Hex; WB Su
    Insulation
    MW-3, Sierra Sniv
    Suspension
    Woopie, Dutch Clip

Canoeski Report

Wisconsin Frozen Butt Hang 2018 – Trip Report

Sorry for the late response; slipped right back into a busy routine upon return.

Left Friday afternoon, arriving after dark (which happens early in Jan). Packed into the campsite which was already which was already bustling with activity around the camp fire. Temp was already in the single digits (down from almost 50F with rain only a day before). I set up my hammock up the hill, far back from any others. The wind was blowing good and the forecast was for well below zero, so I set up just off the ridge in the trees on a mild slope.

Attachment 159825

Returning to the camp fire, individual dinners were being prepared. It was nice to meet some new people and some non-hammockers. I was impressed that some were first time hammockers and others first time winter campers, some brave souls were both!

Attachment 159824

A number of us stood around the blazing fire and it’s radiant warmth until 2 AM. At that point I picked up my daypack with heavier gear, stoves, woodcraft tools, and water and headed up to the ridge towards my camp. Mind you, I had only been there once in the dark, but had a “good mental map” of where I was set up in relation to others. Well, I proceeded up the ridge and went past the hammocks of several others, and kept going until I was descending into what might be a dense swamp. Retracing my steps, I tried again with similar results, crisscrossing my own tracts and passing close by other’s set ups multiple times. I was not perturbed by being lost, because I was not- I knew I was “here”, but rather that I would be disturbing others settling in. This continued for a full hour, I’m embarrassed to say. (apologies to all who thought there was a mad-man wandering the woods).

I could see the remnants of the main camp fire, so returned to a last known position. From there I erased my obviously faulty “mental map” and set about again ignoring the other hammocks and wandered to my set-up in 5 min. Whew! In the morning I realized that three other had set up after I did. And in fact, I was only a hundred yards from the main fire! Prior lessons from being from being bewildered (as Daniel Boone would say, “only bewildered, never lost”) paid off: Don’t get loster!

Slept well. Overnight low on my minimum register thermometer was -11F. My first conscious recollection was the sound of a large tree falling! Though I check for dead men and tree hazards before setting up. Disconcerting none the less (it was standing dead wood being cut for the fire). Made coffee and oatmeal and headed down to the big fire. Lunch was starting.

Attachment 159826

Next day was more standing around the fire (never broke 10F), until a truck-load of large logs, more appropriate for a lumber mill than firewood, arrived. Franklin, moving like a super-hero with a large chainsaw, reduce them to more manageable chunks. A group effort transported them to near the camp, where they were carried up on shoulder and sled to the fire area.

Attachment 159834Attachment 159835Attachment 159836Attachment 159837Attachment 159838Attachment 159839

A group appetite was manifest and dinner was shared that night around the fire. Nick-of- Woods made an awesome beef stew in a Dutch oven, and wins the cook of the week award!

Attachment 159840 2018-01-13 20.14.54.jpg

It remained cold and the thermometer steadily dropped. It was too cold to drink beer without first thawing them out 12 inches from the fire! The temp continued to drop, and I retired to my abode and got cozy under lots of down. The overnight low was -15F.
    Upon awakening Sunday from deep slumber my new frost bib was thoroughly iced over with NO moisture on the over quilt. Coffee and oatmeal was the order of the morning. By noon the group camp was slowly being dismantled.

Attachment 159842Attachment 159841

I stayed until only Kyle was left and we exchanged stories and tall tales until late afternoon when he had to depart. About sunset the light snow started and I began cooking dinner. The snow picked up a bit and continued through the night with 3 inches accumulating by morning. The overnight low was a balmy 8F.

Attachment 159844Attachment 159843Attachment 159845

By noon on Monday the temp was 20F, and the snow continued. Very slowly I broke camp, lingering to enjoy the quiet provided by a fresh snow blanket. Pack up the car by sunset. The drive home was slow and slippery, but fortunately, uneventful.

Attachment 159847Attachment 159848Attachment 159846

Thanks to Nick-of-the-Woods, the landowner, and all other who made this weekend possible.

<salute>
    Canoeski.

OK. Frustrating. Above attachments failed, so you'll have to see them here.

https://imgur.com/a/kJIDl
    Last edited by canoeski; 01-21-2018 at 18:35.
    Not all who wander are lost.

Hammock
    HH UExpl; WBBB; JRB BMBH
    Tarp
    CCS; HH Hex; WB Su
    Insulation
    MW-3, Sierra Sniv
    Suspension
    Woopie, Dutch Clip
    Trying to relearn out how to insert pics from Google Photos into post between paragraphs.

Until then, here is the link to the Google Pic Album, unedited:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/vsTbJnuLeO2vnDlv1

Here is the almost same album form IMGUR:

https://imgur.com/a/kJIDl
    Last edited by canoeski; 01-21-2018 at 17:50.
    Not all who wander are lost.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC; WBRR
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Wooki UQ Mamba TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Thanks for the write up and pics, Canoeski. Those porkchop appetizers before the beef stew were great. Enjoyed meeting you and perhaps will meet again. I launder my pics through IMGUR because it automatically creates forum-friendly code to paste in between paragraphs. It's a bit of a clicky process, but it works.
    The game is the best teacher.

Hammock
    Sheltowee Boone DH Sparrow
    Tarp
    WB Minifly
    Insulation
    30*HG UQ/ 40*UGTQ
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by Karla "with a k" View Post
    My first FBH and first time at this base camp of Nick "of the Woods". Since I was just at Hartman Creek SP for BACONFEST last year and this property is right next door, I felt pretty confident of the directions. Nick's additional instructions were helpful and I didn't hear of anyone having problems locating the property.

The drive into the property was beautiful. My only wish is that there was MORE SNOW!

I see cars! This must be the place!

I was thankful Nick said the trail was the end of the building because I would have wandered around for a bit to find it.

Since I arrived on Saturday, I walked around to scope out a good spot and see everyone's set up. (Hey, let me know if this is your set up and I'll write your name by your pic!)

Aaah, the infamous parachute! I had seen it only in pictures. Pretty fantastic up close too!

Harley & Karla "with a k". Just a few icicles from his moustache and beard.

Swung (a.k.a.) Axe & Tumbleweed's hot tents. Goobie's and Gopher's hammocks.

My pop froze and started oozing out of the top and when it dribbled down into the cup holder, it instantly froze. #reallycold

Kyle's tent set up. Yup, we allow tent campers to attend. (Some allow it just to convert them to hammocks though. hee hee)

Here are Nick "of the woods" set up and Melicia's (She also was awarded the Bad A$$ Woman Award for sleeping in her hammock all night in the cold and it's only her 2nd time hammock camping. (Award to come)

Swung (AXE) is throwing logs off his truck and Canoeski would throw them in a sled to be pulled up the hill.

Who is claiming this?

Swung (a.k.a. AXE) was SUPER BAD A$$ flinging the logs like they were toothpicks. (New profile picture?)

Whose gear is this at the top of the hill?

I was looking darn cute on the trail with the snow. #totalbrag #notsohumble

Was this Chris's set up?

My set up looks so sad and droopy. Last time for my Tato tarp connectors. Will try out my new line locks next time.

Check out Tumbleweed hauling the log up the hill on his shoulder. He must be eating his spinach!

Nick of the Woods' hot tent - used for community space. We did have one person sleep in it on Saturday night. (And yes, it was a tent camper)

This stew was the best stew I've ever had. Nick of the Woods, you can cook for me anytime. Plus, I think Saturday Stew night needs to become a tradition!

Parachute during the day with the smoke billowing out from everywhere!

Yes, the red bra was there!

Nick "of the Woods, Tumbleweed, and Swung (a.k.a AXE)

Tumbleweed's new toboggan that Swung (a.k.a AXE) made. (I think he still has one to sell, if you are interested!)

Andy "The German", Canoeski, Kyle "The Keynote" and Watertooner.

* We need to remember to get a group picture next time.
    * Who wants to give a post about the high/lows and weather so it's recorded?
    Looks awesome! Greetings from Florida.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Formerly known as Bomber21

Hammock
    Dream Darien
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Mini
    Suspension
    straps
    I see you guys got a little love in the Journal Sentinel on Sunday, in the Day our section (back page of the TAP section).

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12