Hammock
    DH Sparrow Branch Camo Demo
    Tarp
    UGQ WD 12 Int PM
    Insulation
    UGQ Zeplin 10* UQ
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckle/Web
    I have had good success with loop aliens, and the prusiks, and takes no time at all.

Images
    I have always liked the single line, as stated you can separate the two suspensions if you want to to keep them apart by just rotating them off to the side of the trunk slightly. I prefer the single strand because it takes twice the amount of cord to make the V, so with a single line instead I find that a 12' cord is almost always long enough by itself. If the tree is big and/or the span is long, a 12' cord won't be long enough to do a V, while a single strand of 12' will often be enough.

Hammock
    DIY 1.6 oz HyperD XL
    Insulation
    New River long
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by GadgetUK437 View Post
    Ebay,
    https://m.ebay.com/itm/8-Strands-PE-...DsPp0Us_l-XYBg
    It's the 1.2mm stuff, works well with aluminium loop aliens.

--
    Gadget
    Can you splice it?

Images
    In theory, yes. I did it once, but life is too short! It's a hollow braid, but tightly woven. Used a fine guitar string to do the bury, but it was still hard going.
    I don't bother any more, there is enough reserve strength to cope with a few fig8 on the bight knots to make splicing loops just a vanity project.

--
    Gadget

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by warbonnetguy View Post
    I have always liked the single line, as stated you can separate the two suspensions if you want to to keep them apart by just rotating them off to the side of the trunk slightly. I prefer the single strand because it takes twice the amount of cord to make the V, so with a single line instead I find that a 12' cord is almost always long enough by itself. If the tree is big and/or the span is long, a 12' cord won't be long enough to do a V, while a single strand of 12' will often be enough.
    I would agree not wanting to use twice the cord. But I use Tarp Flys so you can move the hardware up and down the line, only requiring enough cord to get around the tree plus another couple feet to be safe...unless you want a really big V. I would never see the point of bringing the cord all the way back to the tarp for a "full V"

Hammock
    11' Dutchware 1.6 hexon
    Tarp
    12' UGQ WD marpat
    Insulation
    3S Yeti & 0+2 HG I
    Suspension
    Buckles
    When I switched from CRL to the V I started with Stingerz. I carried dogbones for when the line wasn't enough. Then I discovered flyz and changed all my tarp ridge ties to them. When you lock them down close to the tarp its basically the same as a Stingrz , but if you need more line you unlock the flyz and slide it toward the tree. You lose the V but don't have to carry extra line on those rare occasions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bluzharp View Post
    When I switched from CRL to the V I started with Stingerz. I carried dogbones for when the line wasn't enough. Then I discovered flyz and changed all my tarp ridge ties to them. When you lock them down close to the tarp its basically the same as a Stingrz , but if you need more line you unlock the flyz and slide it toward the tree. You lose the V but don't have to carry extra line on those rare occasions.
    EXACTLY! I usually end up with the Flyz about 2' away from the tree. No specific reason, it's just what I do. That creates a pretty small V, but enough to run a strap suspension thru without any rubbing. But I still have a good 4' average of line left over, depending on the tree diameter of course.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Raven D/L
    Tarp
    SLD Winter Haven
    Insulation
    0 and 30 Zeppelin
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    I've used a continuous line under my tarp for the past 10 years and there are no signs of wear or damage at all on the tarp. I have 2 prussik's on the line with a small carabiner on each. I attach each biner to the d ring on the tarps ridgeline and I'm good to go.

Hammock
    WB Eldorado/DIY
    Tarp
    WB MiniFly/DIY 12'
    Insulation
    WB Wooki/HG Burrow
    Suspension
    DW Spider/Beetle
    Quote Originally Posted by MikekiM View Post
    On the first two, I have the ridge line come off one side of the tree and the straps come off the opposite. And I like to set the RLs so they follow the same 30* angle as the straps. No V needed.
    +1 on that, this is how I do it too. Never had an issue with straps and line interfering with each other.

Someone else mentioned hanging from smaller diameter trees, where the V doesn't much help. I came to the same conclusion when I was first getting started with hammocks and tarps. I found I was hanging most often on younger growth, smaller diameter trees. The occurrence of larger diameter trees was so infrequent for me, trying to use a V just wasn't worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by Redoleary View Post
    I use the V as well and a UCR as the adjustable bit...aka no hardware. The following two videos show my setup, the first one a overview and the second one a slight modification to the first.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_9wH6ONGSu8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-5qiN1XCpg0&t=11s
    This is really cool! Thanks for making videos so I could visualize. I got pretty annoyed by my tarp suspension the last time I took it out and this just makes it seem much easier.

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast