Ole Blue-DIY 11 footer
    Tarp
    WB Thunderfly
    Insulation
    UQG Zep;JRB ORM
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by jcksparow View Post
    Thought I'd take advantage of the brief heat wave and rainy forecast to give my new HG tarp a proper test. Tarp worked great, but I woke up around 5AM to discover a 6" deep pond forming underneath, a damp UQ, and my boots floating away. Whoops! :lol
    Just had that experience... I went for a two nighter in Otter Creek Wilderness. We got to a section of creek I knew we would have to ford, it was flooded. we had to set up in a near by field, found the highest ground with safe trees and hung tarps and hammocks. It started raining around 4:30pm, it stopped raining around 1:00am. I woke up around 11:00pm with six inches of water under my hammock. Scrambled up, booted and head lamped. looked around the field. I was expecting to find all trails flooded and the creek looking for new banks... I breathed a sigh of relief after seeing our trial out was still passable. I decided to relax in the hammock, but not sleep, as to monitor the rain and water level... I woke up around 1:00am and listened to the last of the rain drops falling from the trees. I decided to peek out side and saw snow falling. Beautiful!! I figured the water level would not get any higher now that the temp. was falling. I slipped back into slumber and awoke around 7:00am to 3 inches of snow, the pond under me frozen, my boots frozen in the pond. We decided to bug out instead of staying another night. It was the right call, the sight was very poor the temp was dropping rapidly. Damp gear and poor site availability can be really bad news...
    I never saw a discontented tree. They grip the ground as though they liked it, and though fast rooted they travel about as far as we do. -J. Muir

Hammock
    XLC/SLD 11' Tree Runner/BB
    Tarp
    WB MiniFly/SLD WH
    Insulation
    Jacks 'R' Better
    Suspension
    MyersTech/Dyneema
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Vanhalo View Post
    I think I will multi-purpose my pack cover as a gear hammock.
    So today Dutch releases the sidecar........
    "...in Florida, she felt air conditioning for the first time, and it was cold and unnatural upon her skin."

It seems like a beefier Blackbird Shelf.

I like it.

I certainly wouldn’t put all my dirty foul smelling crap in it. Unless maybe you also had his peak shelf?

I dunno, I think you guys are worrying too much about dirtiness and leaving your packs on the ground. If it’s really a big deal you could carabiner it to your suspension.

My bet is after a few weeks you’ll stop caring anyway

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Chameleon clone
    Tarp
    Cowboy Badlander
    Suspension
    WB Cinch Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Shrewd View Post
    I dunno, I think you guys are worrying too much about dirtiness and leaving your packs on the ground. If it’s really a big deal you could carabiner it to your suspension.

My bet is after a few weeks you’ll stop caring anyway
    Dirtiness I can handle--this is camping, after all. I just want to find my boots in the same place I left them the night before!
    "Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates." -Mark Twain

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    Winter Palace
    Insulation
    LLG, HG, EE
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    I leave my boots and pack on a piece of Tyvek under my hammock... after reading this thread I might be changing that up a bit lol.

Senior Member Tyroler Holzhacker's Avatar
    Hammock
    DH DL Sparrow/SL Darien
    Tarp
    MacCat/WBSuperfly
    Insulation
    LL/JRB/DIY down
    Suspension
    MSH/Whoopies/strps
    Images
    Best to hang all of your things off the ground especially for forecasts like torrential rains! Experience is the best teacher and what doesn't kill you makes you stronger, eh?

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    My first night in a hammock it rained five inches - I had to hang pack and shoes from the ridgeline. It's not a lesson I had to learn twice! If the rain is coming down hard, hang your stuff off the ground or it might not be there in the morning.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    Chameleon clone
    Tarp
    Cowboy Badlander
    Suspension
    WB Cinch Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    My first night in a hammock it rained five inches - I had to hang pack and shoes from the ridgeline. It's not a lesson I had to learn twice! If the rain is coming down hard, hang your stuff off the ground or it might not be there in the morning.
    My pack is always off the ground anyway, either hung from a tree or my suspension. I've thrown my boots over the ridgeline on occasion, but I honestly didn't expect THAT MUCH rain on this particular night. Won't make the mistake of underestimating temperamental PA weather again!
    "Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates." -Mark Twain

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123