Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    Dutch Rectangular
    Insulation
    CRO UQ & DIY TQ
    Suspension
    Straps & Beetles
    First and foremost, a huge thank you to Timberrr and Gumbo for putting on and organizing such an incredible hang. It takes a huge amount of work and dedication to bring such an event to life. Thank you to all those who took up roles and volunteered to help in any way - big or small.

Thank you again to Timberrr for letting me use your spare underquilt and silk sheets, after learning that Florida nights are too cold for just a sleeping bag; and thank you to Kettle and Flipp, who made sure that that I would be warm and snug for the remainder of my time at HangCon.

Thank you to all of the vendors for everything that you do, I’m afraid I missed the raffle and many of the vendors this year, so I am hoping to catch everything the next time HangCon comes around!

Thank you Greg and Jen (Sugarlands) for the moonshine tasting nights, as well as a couple partials to go home with. Everyone that’s tried it has loved it – so I’m very excited to buy more for camping nights! One of these days I’ll drive up to Gatlinburg for that tour, either on vacation or when I’m trekking back up to New England!

Thank you to Flipp and Gina for everything during HangCon, inviting me to participate in activities with you and your family, offering to help with anything/everything, letting me try out your Clarks (as I’ve never been in anything except my parachute-style, I may or may not need to invest in one now! (You did warn me!)), as well as being wonderful in general, I’m happy to have met you guys!

Mbal, thankfully you’re not the only Yankee who learned how quickly and hardily moonshine works into your bloodstream, I’m glad to have hung out and talked with you while trying every moonshine flavor. Every. Flavor. I’m glad you guys had a great first hang, hopefully we’ll get to see ya’ll down here next year.

FloridaHanger, I was happy to help! I’m always happy when I can help and manage to not get in the way! Thank you for all the great fires and stories (both told and created).

Kettle, thank you for being my ‘buddy’ for my duration at HangCon. You taught me a lot, about many things. I’m glad we had so much in common, it makes it a little easier to meet up with 250+ strangers in the woods for four days. I’m sorry I couldn’t meet at the Rendezvous, but I am hoping I can make another one someday. (I might just have to go on a camping trip in Texas to stop by and say hello).

After losing phone service and since my atlas does not show any roads in the forest, I got a little lost on the way. I ended up in the ONF at the wrong entrance and took my low-riding car on about 10 miles of red sand road, which I’m pretty sure was for ATV vehicles, considering I bottomed out at least twice. (Guess I’ll be getting a satellite GPS now…). I arrived on the coldest night, and learned quickly that yes, I did need an underquilt in Florida (even though I survived the early spring up north). Currently in the process of acquiring what I need for the Gemini (thank you to Jonathan, who told me about the Gemini and explained what it was and how it was made – it’s practically perfect for my pack). The food was incredible, and I am so stuck on needing to make that Bear Scat Cobbler. I need to. I might die if I don’t. It might just be my new camping dessert necessity.

I am so excited for next year, and I am hoping that I can make it, I never know with my schedule. If not, then I hope to see you all again, be it out-and-about, or at other hangs/meets! As soon as I can transfer my camera photos to the computer, I’ll post them for everyone. Fair warning, they’re all bad quality – looking into getting a DSLR before the next hang.

Hopefully next time I’ll look a little older, maybe 14?

Hammock
    Double Dutch Chameleon
    Tarp
    Dutchwear 2-person
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Beetle buckle
    Quote Originally Posted by Floridahanger View Post
    One day, you're gonna have to tell us about your trip to the other side of the lake. I'll make a nice cozy fire and we can share a little shine while you tell us all about it.
    Sounds like a plan. It is a rare occasion for me to partake since I'm always working the event and/or having to be the responsible one. It was nice to just hang for once. Thanks for making it such a relaxing and ejoyable weekend. Btw, when we do our fireside story telling night, let's be sure to add a meat soaked Duralog. Just like the one you, Sam, and I had to remove from somebody's grill because it was makeing everybody in the area around them smell like bear bait. lol

Hammock
    Ridge Outdoor Gear Pinnacle 360
    Tarp
    UGQ Rect. and HHex
    Insulation
    DIY CDT/synth sets
    Suspension
    Straps/Speed Hooks
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by greidam View Post
    Sounds like a plan. It is a rare occasion for me to partake since I'm always working the event and/or having to be the responsible one. It was nice to just hang for once. Thanks for making it such a relaxing and ejoyable weekend. Btw, when we do our fireside story telling night, let's be sure to add a meat soaked Duralog. Just like the one you, Sam, and I had to remove from somebody's grill because it was makeing everybody in the area around them smell like bear bait. lol
    I'll shoot you a PM soon. You will be invited for the Vendor Appreciation Day for next year at HangCon 2019. Hopefully we will see monkeys next time. Information upcoming on dates, times and location.
    Enjoy and have fun with your family, before they have fun without you

Hammock
    Ridge Outdoor Gear Pinnacle 360
    Tarp
    UGQ Rect. and HHex
    Insulation
    DIY CDT/synth sets
    Suspension
    Straps/Speed Hooks
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by PapaSmurf View Post
    Thank you very much to Floridahanger for taking all us rookies on the Dream Hammock crew on our very first kayaking trip up at Silver Springs. In the past, we've always been too bust to go on this trip, but Floridahanger invited us down a day early and promised us a day filled with fun, monkeys & gators. We had loads of fun and saw 6 gators during our paddle, but unfortunately we missed the monkeys this year. Looks like we're just gonna have to go back and try again next year!

Thank you, Randy and family. Y'all are a wonderful family and I can't wait for next year.
    Enjoy and have fun with your family, before they have fun without you

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB, Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    AHE Toxaway:UGQ WD
    Insulation
    UGQ,KAQ,Tewa
    Suspension
    strap/buckles
    Images
    I wanted to pipe in all my thanks and say I had a great time cooking again for all Y'all! Timberrr and Gumbo put together another successful event. Lots of activities to keep ya busy if you wanted to be! Thanks to all who volunteered their time to help out where it was needed. Saw a lot of people going on kayak trips and hikes! Cool. Got to camp and set up my cooking gear. Went easy this year. Got a lot of help whipping up the vittles!
    Wanted to do some special callouts who got up early with me and prepped late the night before so we had breakfast ready to go before 8am. Jimj and Jem, Juanchoman ( bomber 21). Sam from batchstoves and his better half now known as coldspot. Ghang, deerhunter, Koop and his equipment, flahanger, Cutty. The guys who stayed and watched gumbo's breadpudding while we were getting the boil ready. Wanderer and karebear for watching over the chicken gumbo and some good suggestions. All the help we got prepping for Sat night! Flip and his better half. Dutch for running the food and help cleaning up (Also thank you for my limited edition t-shirt!). Greidam for the use of his boil pot and special drinking jars! Tasty stuff! It was nice to meet you and your wife. Glad to hear you had some relaxing time! Pretty much stuck around the camp kitchen but I got to meet some new faces. Bliss for helping out frying taters. Jeff for scrambling the eggs Sunday. Luvmybonnet(?) stopped by a few times. It was good to see Paul and Missy, Ma and pa smurf. Lil'ricky. What can I say; great to see ya again! Trying to remember everyone; so thanks to all. Without you; this event wouldn't happen. Another great year of vendor donations to help make this event. Glad for your support! It amazes me how big this event is and we fed most of you at some point. It was a challenge getting the pork butts ready at dindin time with the rain and wind that blew in! Hope the food was good.

Called the wife Sat. night and she said she caught got that bug that is going around, So I decided to pack up Sunday morn to see if I could help her out.
    Great event and saw all the great videos recording it. They were fantastic! Even saw myself in one! WoooHooo!

Hammock
    DH Raven
    Tarp
    HG CUBEN TARP
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix/Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopies / CRL
    Is Hangcon always in Ocala? I wished I had gone, I was actually thru hiking the Ocala section of the Florida Trail that same weekend. I was so close!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Tarp
    Insulation
    UGQ,KAQ,Tewa
    Suspension
    strap/buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by j-Fish View Post
    Is Hangcon always in Ocala? I wished I had gone, I was actually thru hiking the Ocala section of the Florida Trail that same weekend. I was so close!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes it is. For the past few years it has been held at Doe lake. It has been big enough to camp 250-300 of us. It is always held around MLK weekend. You were very close!

Hammock
    WBBBXLC/Dutch netless
    Tarp
    HG Cuban W/ doors
    Insulation
    feathers
    Suspension
    Strap or whoopie
    I went to HangCon 18 knowing no one and left feeling like I spent a long weekend with old friends. The environment and spirit of the campers is truly elevated by each others positive attitude and encouragement. I witnessed so much outgoing concern for others comfort, and well being by the vendors as well as the driving force of the event "Team Timberrr/Gumbo" and participants. Little Ricky made Texas proud throughout the event with always doing and helping and quietly doing more.

I was renamed at this wonderful event...Thanks Flipp for not going with the first few options! I might have mentioned to a couple of people passing by the stairs to the dining hall that wiping their feet would help keep the sand out of the building. (OK, most of the time loudly to everyone) Upon returning to the porch from checking my gear when the rain had blessed us with a shower, I failed to brush off my shoes...and got caught...the pot calling the KETTLE black.

Country Bear: Meeting and getting to know you was a huge and crazy boost to my collection of wonderful people. Glad you came into my life.
    Flipp and Spiderbite with your wonderful kids: You are a special family and amaze everyone around that observed the interactions you had with your family unit as well as reaching out to others to help...or poke fun at.

As for the hang: I used my new WBBB XLC and DutchWear Dyneema suspension with HG UQ and TQ to stay comfy and warm through the 28* night temp. The learning curve on getting the foot end of the XLC high enough was sharp but it was wonderful after I adjusted it properly.
    I got to lay in a Clark and Dream Hammock and Chameleon and found myself wanting to add to my gear closet...I may be an addict!

Gumbo and Timberrr, I hope you do find yourself in my neighborhood and we get to share more experiences.

Hammock
    WBBBXLC/Dutch netless
    Tarp
    HG Cuban W/ doors
    Insulation
    feathers
    Suspension
    Strap or whoopie
    Country Bear, We missed you in the rendezvous but I'm glad you came out to the beach to meet up with some more of my buddies. This is just the beginning of the fun, I can see a long line of adventures in store. You might have the making of a new name as well Simmer...lol.
    Last edited by Kettle; 02-03-2018 at 10:06. Reason: oops

Hammock
    Tarp
    Insulation
    UGQ,KAQ,Tewa
    Suspension
    strap/buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by HangingBliss View Post
    I went to HangCon 18 knowing no one and left feeling like I spent a long weekend with old friends. The environment and spirit of the campers is truly elevated by each others positive attitude and encouragement. I witnessed so much outgoing concern for others comfort, and well being by the vendors as well as the driving force of the event "Team Timberrr/Gumbo" and participants. Little Ricky made Texas proud throughout the event with always doing and helping and quietly doing more.

I was renamed at this wonderful event...Thanks Flipp for not going with the first few options! I might have mentioned to a couple of people passing by the stairs to the dining hall that wiping their feet would help keep the sand out of the building. (OK, most of the time loudly to everyone) Upon returning to the porch from checking my gear when the rain had blessed us with a shower, I failed to brush off my shoes...and got caught...the pot calling the KETTLE black.

Country Bear: Meeting and getting to know you was a huge and crazy boost to my collection of wonderful people. Glad you came into my life.
    Flipp and Spiderbite with your wonderful kids: You are a special family and amaze everyone around that observed the interactions you had with your family unit as well as reaching out to others to help...or poke fun at.

As for the hang: I used my new WBBB XLC and DutchWear Dyneema suspension with HG UQ and TQ to stay comfy and warm through the 28* night temp. The learning curve on getting the foot end of the XLC high enough was sharp but it was wonderful after I adjusted it properly.
    I got to lay in a Clark and Dream Hammock and Chameleon and found myself wanting to add to my gear closet...I may be an addict!

Gumbo and Timberrr, I hope you do find yourself in my neighborhood and we get to share more experiences.
    I'm glad you got to participate! It was nice meeting you and helping out! Thanks for prepping and cooking the taters with Ghang on Sunday!

• + New Posts
  • Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast