Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hammock
    Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    Mamajamba
    Insulation
    Wooki

COLD/WARM VERSATILITY FOR GEAR

Like so many here, I decided to get off the ground for better sleep quality. I have basic gear, which I hope will be versatile enough to be used for three seasons, plus some moderate winter camping. Based on reviews and their reputation, I purchased a Warbonnet Blackbird XLC 1.1 double layer, Mamajamba tarp, and Wooki 3 season UQ at great prices on their Black Friday sale.

I plan to use my 40 degree and 20 degree down bags as top covers. When night temperatures dip below 55, I will add a sleep pad between the hammock layers. At some lower point, I will use the Wooki, either snug with the hammock or with a slight air gap. Below 20 I will use both the Wooki and a pad.

I would appreciate any observations from experience regarding a cold/warm gear plan. I do not want to invest in another down UQ just now and would like a plan that will work to zero degrees, or slightly below. None of that Shug -40 degree camping for me! Although I can understand how someone who juggles fire on a unicycle would camp at -40 degrees. Just kidding, Shug must be a great guy.

I now live in Illinois and will soon move to northern Arkansas. I would also also appreciate any recommendations of using the Mamajamba in cold, rain or wind. I have an 8.5 by 8.5 cuben tarp that could be used in some way as an add on.

Thank you for helping me plan. I, like everyone, must learn from doing, but may avoid some mistakes with good advice.

I am really enjoying the forum.

Joe
    Last edited by runners_low; 01-09-2018 at 14:05. Reason: make bold the heading

Hammock
    Dutch Netless -n- Summer Sock
    Tarp
    Superfly / Noah 12
    Insulation
    Jarbridge, blubber
    Suspension
    Cinch -n- Whoopie
    Quote Originally Posted by Beesink View Post
    [FONT=arial][SIZE=4]When night temperatures dip below 55, I will add a sleep pad between the hammock layers.
    I have a 3 season Jarbidge under-quilt, rated to I think 20F. We use them almost year round. I will actually pack them for hot summer trips and just have them ready to go next to the hammock. Sometimes acting as windbreak. I find them much easier to use than a pad. Although our hammocks are single layer - maybe the double layer would help with the pad. Unless the Wookie is ungainly to pack, I'd use it instead of the pad right up to when you think you need both.

As far as the Tarp goes, you can get the tarp door kit as an add on, but you may wish to consider a sock. Warbonnet sells one, we use one from Dutchware (were our hammocks are from) and someone even sells a canvas one. In my way of thinking a sock may do more to increase the temp inside your hammock than the door kit would.

So that is my two cents.

Hammock
    XLC/SLD 11' Tree Runner/BB
    Tarp
    WB MiniFly/SLD WH
    Insulation
    Jacks 'R' Better
    Suspension
    MyersTech/Dyneema
    Images
    I have found (over 60 days so far) that my 25° Greylock 3 (+1 oz.) partial UQ w/ UQP has remained a constant from 55°- 12°

It's the TQs that I have to change

10°, 30°, 40°

but I think I could get by with the 10° and the 40° IF layered with a fleece quilt liner on the cold side of their respective temp spectrums.
    "...in Florida, she felt air conditioning for the first time, and it was cold and unnatural upon her skin."

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    Joe, I'm sure it is just a typo but I don't understand adding a pad with the night temperatures drop below 55. That is pretty warm for night time temperatures and I'm sure your Wooki would be plenty warm. If you get an under quilt protector (UQP - like from 2QZQ) it will be warmer as would the addition of a sock. If you know you will have trees, I would use the sock or UQP instead of supplementing with a pad (because with a pad you loose some breathability - could get a little sweaty). But if you may need to go to ground, then you'll want to carry the pad.

Your sleeping bags will work as top quilts and you can unzip them so they are like blankets. But don't unzip them all the way - keep a "foot box" at the bottom end. If you want to be completely zipped up in the bags, it is easier to get into the bag while standing next to your hammock, then sit down in the hammock and pull your legs in. If you decide to get into the hammock first, then worm your way into the bag, be sure to have a friend film it so you can post the video (you'll understand if you try it).

For comfort (and keeping the bag cleaner) I wear light socks and cotton pajamas. It is a lot easier to wash pajamas than to clean a down top quilt.

I have tried to put my tarp up in strong wind twice. So far it is Wind-2, Paul-0. So if you anticipate wind (more than summer breeze) when putting up your tarp, it's best to have it in a sleeve or wrapped around the tarp ridge line suspension first. So you can get that ridge line set up, then release the sides as needed to guy them out. When you see that nice view at the top of the hill but it's windy, remember that you can set up your hammock down from the top a bit - for wind protection - and walk back up to the top to enjoy the view.

Hammock
    Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    Mamajamba
    Insulation
    Wooki
    Interesting Vanhalo. I thought the UQ would be too warm, and the pad cooler for temps below 55. So the UQ is a constant and the TQ would be modified between 55 and 12 degrees.

Hammock
    Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    Mamajamba
    Insulation
    Wooki
    [[email protected];1852278]Joe, I'm sure it is just a typo but I don't understand adding a pad with the night temperatures drop below 55.

My plan was to use only a pad between 55 and around 40 (no UQ), then remove the pad and switch to the UQ at 40. Below 20 I was planning to use both. I chose the double layer hammock, thinking a pad alone would be the first insulation to add. I can see that a pad may be overkill and be too warm for moderatelly cool conditions. Is an inflatable pad less likely to cause sweating than a closed cell pad?

I like the idea of pajamas to keep the bag clean. I have a silk liner I used in the tent. I can see that getting into a liner may be very difficult while lying in a hammock. Stepping into the bag, then entering the hammock makes sense.

Wind will be a problem I'm sure. Will a double sided tarp stuff sack or a snake skin make things go better in wind?

I would use the UQ instead of the pad, even at warmer temperatures. I found the pad to not be very comfortable on my DD Frontline whereas the UQ allowed my to sleep however the hell I wanted without attempting to jump out of the double-layer pocket.
    If you don't live life to the limit, how will you know when you overcome your own?

Hammock
    Chameleon/Ridgerunner/Raven
    Tarp
    OMW/HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Ghost P/Ridge Reap
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I use my 0 degree Wooki from 0 to almost 70. No reason for a pad only. Top quilts are all that change for me.

Hammock
    SuperiorGear or Dutch netless
    Tarp
    custom pentagon
    Insulation
    down hammock or UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
    ...If you want to be completely zipped up in the bags, it is easier to get into the bag while standing next to your hammock, then sit down in the hammock and pull your legs in. If you decide to get into the hammock first, then worm your way into the bag, be sure to have a friend film it so you can post the video (you'll understand if you try it)...
    AND, this is why we use TQs, LOL. Just use the bag in TQ mode as you're really not getting much residual insulation from being zipped up while you're in the hammock.

...So the UQ is a constant and the TQ would be modified between 55 and 12 degrees.
    Basically, yes, that should cover you for 90% of the conditions.

When really warm, like when you go to bed at 65-70 in the summer but lows are still expected to be 55 or lower, you may want to just use the pad as it might be more comfy when its that warm compared to the UQ.

...I can see that a pad may be overkill and be too warm for moderatelly cool conditions. Is an inflatable pad less likely to cause sweating than a closed cell pad?

...Wind will be a problem I'm sure. Will a double sided tarp stuff sack or a snake skin make things go better in wind?
    A pad will never be too warm. Possibly if using a downmat, but even then... And keep in mind that an air pad is more susceptible to the process of convection heat loss. Happens on the ground, too. I find air pads to be better than closed cell with regard to sweating, maybe due to the shape of the channels?

I think you could make good use of the cuben square by draping it over one end, and possibly making yourself a good size vestibule. Blocking one end from wind will give you more than 50% wind protection - stopping the flow is key. Without doors, sometimes it feels like the tarp sides make a wind channel.
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

Hammock
    Chameleon wide
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    JRB Wash4;H.Sierra
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    As I understand it, you have 40F and a 20F bags. Using the Enlightened Equipment chart, stacked those two bags should give you -10F protection on top. Two weeks ago I used a similar combination at 3.9F in Iowa and I was very comfortable. The following night I changed the two bags for an TQ and the sleeping bag and went down to -16F.

I would suggest using your two bags by stuffing the zippered foot box of the higher rated bag inside the 20F bag. Then arrange the bags in your hammock just as you would if you were sleeping on the ground – zippers to the same side. Although conventional wisdom says compressed down or synthetic material does not insulate, I find that having the sleeping bag underneath my body, gives coverage at the sides similar to tucking a regular top quilt alongside your body, and does provide some additional protection on the underside. Two bags arranged in this manner will afford even more margin of comfort. I guess what I am saying is that compressed down does not equal zero insulation value. You do loose most of the R value, but a small bit remains.

Your Wooki 3 season UQ should be good to 20F. I’d be willing to bet that the Wooki combined with both bags as described will get you very close to your goal of zero without the hassle of adding a foam pad. Try this suggestion in a safe environment, like your backyard and see how you sleep.

By the way, you may find it hard to find 0F temps in northern Arkansas. I’ve lived here for almost 30 years, and I can count on the fingers of one hand the number of times that it has reached 0F.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast