Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Full time hammock sleeping

So I'm making the jump, gonna try hammock sleeping after being on a futon for almost 4years now. Have a Brazilian hammock on order, along with what seems to be a solid a hammock stand. However I am curious what other full time hammock sleepers use to support their head? Do you go pillow-less, have a hammock specific pillow? Or will any pillow do?(I'm sure it's all personal preference and I'll have to find out once mine comes and is setup, but figured I could try and get some ideas going before hand.) Any information would be much appreciated!
    I went with Byer of Maine hammock(paradiso) and stand(ceara)

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    Let us know how you like this hammock. Most of us hang in gathered end hammocks styled like the Warbonnet Blackbird XLC as found here - https://www.warbonnetoutdoors.com/hammocks/ or their bridge hammock. These Brazilian hammocks are fine for day hanging but tend to no be the most comfortable sleeping hammock but each person has their own tastes. Let us know how you like the hammock and welcome to the forums.

Hammock
    Townsend Bridge
    Tarp
    Homemade Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQ TQ TR Pad
    Suspension
    Dogbones-Mule Tape
    It is winter now, I sleep indoors on my WBRR. I use a regular old beat up down pillow--it is horrible on my old mattress bed, but it is perfect for my RidgeRunner setup since I can have it thin and thick just how I want. I have a small HammockGear down pillow that I use in my GE hammocks outside and that works well--just enough support there. This past summer, I was fond of using a neck pillow (the same as you'd get for a plane flight) and that worked well for me but when it got cold, the memory foam became too stiff and inflexible. In a pinch, I have even fashioned a down pillow out of my daughters old down vest--remarkably, that worked great! As with everything hammock related, the answer seems to be always...it depends.

Hammock
    Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    WinterDream
    Insulation
    HG & Loco Libre
    Suspension
    Dutch CRL w/ Tatos
    Here's a whole lot of opinions about pillows in hammocks but as you know, the only one that matters will be yours.

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...low-yea-or-nay

Wayne

Quote Originally Posted by TrailSlug View Post
    Let us know how you like this hammock. Most of us hang in gathered end hammocks styled like the Warbonnet Blackbird XLC as found here - https://www.warbonnetoutdoors.com/hammocks/ or their bridge hammock. These Brazilian hammocks are fine for day hanging but tend to no be the most comfortable sleeping hammock but each person has their own tastes. Let us know how you like the hammock and welcome to the forums.
    Funny thing is, I went with the Brazilian because I read forums on here and other forum pages that people preferred the Brazilian for there bed replacement...worse comes to worse I'll just have a day hammock in my living room and will have to try another hammock for bed replacement

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Raven D/L
    Tarp
    SLD Winter Haven
    Insulation
    0 and 30 Zeppelin
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    I use a Thermarest Compressible Pillow and really like it. It's not too thick so it doesn't lift your head and neck at an odd angle and it's malleable enough that I can squish it into different positions over the night to better support my neck (I toss and turn all night and my pillows in my bed are always causing me grief).

https://www.thermarest.com/camp-head...sible-pillow-1

Hammock
    Mackinac Bridge
    Tarp
    DCF
    Insulation
    Grey Goose Down
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveE View Post
    I use a Thermarest Compressible Pillow...
    ^^^This^^^

I use it in my bridge hammock every night. Easy to wash & dry with no worries in a hot dryer.
    "Behold, as a wild a** of the desert, go I forth to my work." -- Guerney Halleck

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    WB SF and WL TP
    Insulation
    UGQ & HG
    Suspension
    multiple
    Images
    I tried a couple different pillow options in the hammock, but neither of them really worked for me. I prefer to just hang without a pillow. The shape of the hammock elevates my head just enough that it essentially gives me the same support I'd use a pillow for.
    Scarecrow on Instagram

"If somebody tells you there's a rule, break it. That's the only thing that moves things forward."
    -Hans Zimmer

Hammock
    Ticket To The Moon
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Quilt
    Suspension
    Hammock Straps
    Both my son and I are using Brazilian Hammocks as bed replacements and really like them. The particular brand has a slightly rougher fabric than I was expecting, but so far it hasn't been a major issue.

Depending on what temperature you keep your house, you'll want to either throw a blanket under you in the hammock or rig up a lightweight underquilt. I made a simple double layer of fleece underquilt for both my son and me and it's made sleeping in the hammocks even more comfortable. Amazing how annoying it can be to have to smooth out the blanket under you every time you climb into your hammock. It always took me a few tries before I'd get rid of the last few wrinkles that were catching me in annoying spots.

I made the shift to a hammock back in the beginning of Oct and haven't been using a pillow so far. When I feel I need a little something under my head or neck I've just been bunching up a blanket and shifting it around until gives me the right amount of support. Since I've been doing this more often lately, I went ahead and picked up a couple fairly smooshy travel pillows from Walmart. My son's been using his for the last few nights and loves it. I still need to get around to making the pillow case for mine, but expect I'll enjoy it as well.

Hammock
    Hammocktent 90*, Sparrow, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    light & waterproof
    Insulation
    Ongoing experiment
    Suspension
    Ongoing experiment
    I use a zpacks CF stuff bag that has fleece on one side that I got used and inexpensive. Its main function is for backpacking, but I found I can put a synthetic or down vest or jacket inside and adjust for comfort by the size of the garment. Utilitarian, adjustable, and comfortable.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast