Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Newb Looking at a RidgeRunner and suggestions

Hi, I'm new to the forum and to Hammocks generally.
    Started bringing an inexpensive hammock car camping, and just hanging around camp. Got to spend a whole afternoon hanging around and became a convert.

Started hiking again, and have decided to get off the ground!
    Goal:
    I plan to do several weekend trips (2-3 nights) and then an extended section of the PCT (southern) next month (February-ish), something like a week or two.

So weight is an issue. My current stuff is not ultralight, if I replace any of it, it will be with a lighter model.

However, I'm having some hesitation about gear.
    "What if I can't find a place to hang?!?!"
    "Should I get a hammock you can use on the ground???"
    "Hammocks are cold, what if you aren't warm enough!?!"

So here's what gear I have:
    Sleeping bag: *2008 Big Agnes Lost Ranger 15° (bag has a sleeve in the back for a pad)
    (3 lbs! in stuff sack)
    I have successfully camped below freezing temps with full "warm" clothes (long johns, fleece pants/top, down jacket, hat)
    It's not really a 15° bag!
    Exped SynMat Insulated sleeping pad (inflatable)
    (2lbs!) 4.6 R-value

I plan to be camping in winter, and fear a hammock will be cold. SO:
    I'm looking at
    Warbonnet Ridge Runner hammock (with double layer bottom)
    Spindrift Sock
    ENO Blaze Hammock Underquilt (from REI) * I own this. so light it seems like almost nothing *
    (1lb 8oz)

Can I just throw my Lost Ranger/pad combo in the Ridge Runner, or should I get a quilt?
    Is a pad & an underquilt a good idea or is using both excessive?

If a TopQuilt is the right answer? Never slept in one.
    Not sure what temp rating to get, but I don't ever remember being hot while camping. Here in NorCal the seasons are "spring" and "fall" for most outdoor stuff, so cold nights are a norm.

I picked the Ridge Runner because I think that sleeping flat (side sleeper) will work well for me.
    I'm concerned that it's not the most flexible hang (you need good distance between anchor points to set it up properly it seems)

I'm also tempted to get they Lynx Underquilt. I have a feeling that since it's made for the Ridge Runner that it will fit better than any UQ.

Trying to decide what to buy and in what order. Hanging can get spendy fast!

Thoughts?
    Thanks!
    Nick

* Big Agnes Lost Ranger: I really like this bag. It's a cut rectangular, and is wide. The sleeping pad fits into a sleeve in the back. This allows for tossing and turning without tangling up your bag or "sliding off" your sleeping pad. Very comfortable for

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    My suggestion is try out what you have but I'd highly recommend the Lynx as it fits like a glove and is super light. A down top quilt and bottom quilt will lighten your load but it isn't cheap but the comfort isn't to be taken likely when backpacking for multiple days. If you are into back packing for the long haul you'll be able to use thee quilts for years to come.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Eldorado (Dream-Tex)
    Tarp
    ThunderFly
    Insulation
    Wooki, Diamondback
    Suspension
    DW June Bug Buckle

I don’t have experience with pads, but I imagine they breathe much less than any underquilt. I have a full size 3-season (20°) Lynx and let me tell you, it’s NICE! Went with an ounce of overstuff so I don’t need to keep fluffing it so much. I think the WB brown colored options are pretty nice looking too. The general consensus here is that 20° is pretty versatile and can suffice if you can only afford one quilt. I’m sure a pad will work fine too and is much cheaper, just not as luxurious!

Just my 2¢, but my point is the Lynx is THE way to go if you can afford it. You really can hook it up and forget about it and have more time to worry about other stuff

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Last edited by HandyRandy; 01-07-2018 at 18:32.

Hammock
    Streamliner
    Tarp
    HG Hex
    Insulation
    LL,UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie hook
    Whats the tree situation like on the section of the PCT you're planning on hiking. A pad would be nice if you have to go to ground and the Ridge Runner works pretty good with a pad.

Hammock
    Hammocktent 90*, Sparrow, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    light & waterproof
    Insulation
    Ongoing experiment
    Suspension
    Ongoing experiment
    I would suggest you forgo the expensive UQ until you are absolutely certain the WBRR is the right hammock for you. The WBRR was my first hammock and has many nice qualities like the relatively flat lay; the "high up" view vantage; the abundant storage options; did I say the abundant storage options; the entry/exit ease; availability of aftermarket add-ons, e.g. UQ or spindrift; great re-sale value; the integrated bugnet that will store away at the hammock end when not needed. If you are determined to go with a WBRR, I'd also suggest giving an inexpensive synthetic UQ such as made by AHD (Arrowhead Designs) a look. They are quite nice, made for the WBRR, comparatively inexpensive, have the synthetic material advantages in wet conditions, have a good resale value, and can be augmented by an insulated pad since you are getting a DL.

Having said that, my next hammock was a Hammocktent Gamma UL v. 1.0 and what a world of difference. The shoulder squeeze was no more; incredible flat lay; side sleeping became truly comfortable; no spreader bars to poke and wear the required oversized tarp; Had an integral bugnet (not removable); plus It was light weight and compact and thus became my backpacking hammock of choice. On the downside it requires a semi rigid pad, as do all the 90 degree hammocks, for maximum comfort. Like the WBRR the pad can be augmented with an InterQuilt in the pad pocket for cold weather extremes. I had an opportunity to pick up a Gamma UL version 2.0 and have it to be even more comfortable than the v. 1.0, and consequently, pass the v.1.0 along. There are other 90 degree hammocks and they offer similar lay qualities as the Gamma UL. And yes, 90 degree hammocks are not the answer for everybody and have their own set of unique challenges.

In the course of time, I decided I needed to try a GE hammock to experience the dark side. I picked up a used DH Raven and have found it to be a wonderfully made and comfortable hammock. It too had a bugnet and bug/weather cover that were removable. Although I have a nice UQ for the Raven, I still prefer to use an Exped insulated pad on top of the hammock. Using such a pad in the Raven just has too many advantages over just a UQ that now the UQ is relegated to augmenting the pad in cold weather extremes. But that is a story for another thread.

Bottom line was I found the Gamma UL ver 2.0 and DH Raven to be significantly more comfortable and did a better job meeting my hammock backpacking needs. Therefore, I passed the WBRR along to an eager and happy purchaser. I am not trying to dissuade you from purchasing a WBRR as it has it good qualities and many devotees. In fact, you most likely won't be satisfied until you give one, or another bridge hammock, a go. We all tend to get that bug. Similarly, I have a desire to give a DH Sparrow a try one of these days...or a Sheltowee Boone. I am suggesting you weigh your purchase options and plan carefully, and that may mean not purchasing an expensive WBRR UQ until you are confident it is the best direction for you.

Hammock
    DIY TCF Sage Green
    Tarp
    Noah's Tarp 12x12
    Insulation
    MAMW TQ, UGQ UQ
    Suspension
    webbing/whoopies
    Images
    Welcome to the forums.

You have covered a lot of ground in a little time haha. I'll try to answer as best I know how and I'm sure others will chime in as well.

Initially I will say that much research is in order on your part, to get a hammock system dialed in that works for you. There is no "cookie-cutter" recipe that works for everyone, hammocking is a very individual

"I picked the Ridge Runner because I think that sleeping flat (side sleeper) will work well for me. "
    In bed I sleep exclusively on my sides and front, and rarely on my back. In a gathered-end (regular, not bridge like the Ridge Runner) hammock, I sleep nearly flat on my back and sometimes shift a little to one side or the other, and I sleep more comfortable with less tossing and turning than in a bed. I think that this is because there aren't any pressure points while I'm laying in the hammock like there are in a bed.
    I say all this because You may find that a simple gathered-end hammock works for you as well. You can pick up a basic no-net hammock really inexpensively. It might be worth it for you to try that. If you're set on the bridge hammock, then I just wasted a lot of typing hehe =)

"What if I can't find a place to hang?!?!"
    This is where trip planning and research will save the day. I live in GA so it would really be unusual for me not to be able to find any trees lol, but I understand that in Cali there is varying terrain and ecosystems. Some research up front for your trips should let you know whether trees are available for hanging, and you can then adjust your trip's gear choices accordingly.

"Should I get a hammock you can use on the ground???"
    This is only my opinion, but I would answer a qualified no. The qualification would be that you maybe do a lot of backpacking where, for instance, you might camp at an elevation one night where there are plenty of trees, and the next night you may find yourself above tree-line where there aren't. Unless you commonly do those kinds of trips, I'd stick with a hammock that's dedicated to "hanging out"!

"Hammocks are cold, what if you aren't warm enough!?!"
    I just finished a trip where the low was 13*. I was warmer while I was in my hammock than at any other time lol. That's because I had insulation adequate to the conditions. If your insulation isn't adequate, it doesn't matter if you're in a hammock, tent, igloo or your own bed at home, you will be cold.

"Can I just throw my Lost Ranger/pad combo in the Ridge Runner, or should I get a quilt?"
    This is entirely based on personal preference. There are some people that use pads in their RRs and some who prefer UQs. Again, research is in order. Since you already have a pad, and if you decide to go with the RR, then by all means try that first.
    If you decide to try a gathered-end, then I strongly recommend a good underquilt. This is simply from a standpoint of comfort and ease. Using a pad in a GE hammock is problematic at best, for most people. I'm not familiar with the ENO Blaze, but I have seen some less-than-stellar reviews. I recommend shopping the cottage vendors found on this site for quality products. Also, if you want to save weight you will want a good down UQ, and the ENO is synthetic.

"Is a pad & an underquilt a good idea or is using both excessive?"
    Not necessarily excessive. Again, some research. and experimentation will be in order. Also, you might use both in conjunction in an unseasonably cold snap, for instance.

Good luck in your hammock pursuits!

Hammock
    HG 10’ w/net
    Tarp
    Anything with door
    Insulation
    HQ 20*/40* UQ-TQ
    Suspension
    Tree straps to con

Swiss, you will receive a large amount of info to aid you in your journey, but Shug has a video that answers the going to ground issue.

https://youtu.be/0j54vMKGhiQ

Please be advised 3:25 is not what you want to be caught watching while sitting around in your panties. Just saying!!!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Need2noCallahan; 01-07-2018 at 20:26.

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    If you are not in a hurry, try go to a group hang to check out different hammocks.

Every hammock type has its own advantages and disadvantages, and without having tried it, you won't know which one is most comfortable to you. A bridge hammock certainly is a good choice if you want to keep a pad to be able to go to ground. So is a 90° hammock. But if you want to use an underquilt, the 90° hammock is not for you. Bridge hammocks need a large tree distance; 90° hammocks need a short tree distance. Gathered end hammocks are somewhere in the middle. For saving weight, 90° hammocks are probably best; followed by gathered ends. Bridge hammocks are the heaviest choice.

For what it's worth, I'm a side-sleeper and own all three types of hammocks, and I prefer gathered end hammocks. I couldn't warm to bridge hammocks since the only reason for me to use one would have been if side-sleeping would have been more comfortable than in the gathered end. It wasn't, because one of my knees always ended up on the tight webbing on the side. I like the lay in the 90° hammock, but getting in and out is not as easy as with a GE hammock, and it doesn't take an underquilt, which is one of the big perks of using a hammock.

Senior Member Andy "Bull" Bullock's Avatar
    Hammock
    WB ridgerunner
    Tarp
    WB cloudburst
    Insulation
    WB lynx & Costco
    Suspension
    straps+Dutch bling
    Welcome to the rabbit hole! Haha!

+1 for researching your campsites ahead of time. HOWEVER (!) The majority of the southern PCT is desert. I’m pretty sure the trees / shrubs will not hold up a hammock. If I were going there for that long I’d skip the hammock all together. That said, I’m heading to hike Mt. Jacinto in June and I will take my hammock because there’re trees there (not sure about regulations there yet though?).

I’m a ridgerunner owner and love it. I have the AHE underquilt and the WB lynx. Both are great but I prefer a full length so I use the lynx. I’ve never used a pad.

The spindrift is awesome.

I use Costco topquilt(s) but have a Loco Libre top quilt being built.

Side note: I use mountainsmith trekker poles for my spreader bars (saves weight).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Warbonnet Eldorado (Dream-Tex)
    Tarp
    ThunderFly
    Insulation
    Wooki, Diamondback
    Suspension
    DW June Bug Buckle
    The WBRR is pretty comfy, but I wouldn’t say it’s all THAT much more comfy than a GE hammock, just better. What sold me on it after trying it, was the storage options and the zero fiddle factor with UQ’s and the great view due the low sides. Even if it were a bit less comfy, I might’ve still stuck with it, but fortunately it’s comfy too! You have the great saddlebag pockets, but something you prob won’t know till you try it, is that it’s actually very easy to store a lot of stuff above your head and below your feet; because unlike a GE, the flat lay let’s things on those ends stay put instead of sliding down to the middle. Then, if you get the Spindrift, you have a whole other gear sling under you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast