HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by goobie View Post
    Have you spent a winter using canvas??
    I have not, but I also don't know of a reason that frost would not collect on canvas just like it does other materials. I'm hoping that someone with empirical observations and a science-based explanation might chime in.

I had an interesting experience a couple of weeks ago in the Catskills. Temp was 14°F and relative humidity was high... overcast with snow and sleet. Lots of frost on the Chameleon cover. I was also under a Superfly tarp, which had a teensy bit of frost right at the ridge line.

In the wee hours the wind really picked up and the humidity dropped (crystal clear sky), temp went up to 19°F. The Chameleon cover was completely free of frost by 5 am.

Hammock
    WB BBXLC and DIY
    Tarp
    UP
    Insulation
    DOWN
    Suspension
    30 DEGREES
    Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post
    I have not, but I also don't know of a reason that frost would not collect on canvas just like it does other materials. I'm hoping that someone with empirical observations and a science-based explanation might chime in.

I had an interesting experience a couple of weeks ago in the Catskills. Temp was 14°F and relative humidity was high... overcast with snow and sleet. Lots of frost on the Chameleon cover. I was also under a Superfly tarp, which had a teensy bit of frost right at the ridge line.

In the wee hours the wind really picked up and the humidity dropped (crystal clear sky), temp went up to 19°F. The Chameleon cover was completely free of frost by 5 am.
    I'll stand by my earlier statement. As an outdoor professional and educator I have over 1000 nights in the hammock half of which are below freezing in recent years. Frost would build up under canvas too. The colder the temps, the more frost you'll see building up. I've field tested a lot of winter set ups over the years and I share what I've learned based on quite of bit of field experience. Over covers, just like a single walled tent, trap moisture inside that just freezes to the fabric. They are a cool idea and work well in certain conditions but they don't work everywhere and not well in really cold weather(sub 0 ambient temps).
    Owner and guide at nowoutdoors.org
    www.meetup.com/Wilderness-Adventure-Group/
    https://www.facebook.com/NickAtNowOutdoors/

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by goobie View Post
    Have you spent a winter using canvas??
    I watched right here on HF an entire FrozenButt hang group try them one year. It took all of 24-48 hours to find out they don't work.
    They froze solid and became useless.
    No one uses canvas socks anymore excepted the one who have not learned and still hold some kind of nestalgia for the old days.

Hammock
    WB BBXLC and DIY
    Tarp
    UP
    Insulation
    DOWN
    Suspension
    30 DEGREES
    Speaking of Frozen Butt Hang....I'll be seeing a few hammock hot tents next week at the WI FBH and those can be made of canvas or nylon and can stay pretty dry with the fire going
    Owner and guide at nowoutdoors.org
    www.meetup.com/Wilderness-Adventure-Group/
    https://www.facebook.com/NickAtNowOutdoors/

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by NickoftheWoods View Post
    I'll stand by my earlier statement. As an outdoor professional and educator I have over 1000 nights in the hammock half of which are below freezing in recent years. Frost would build up under canvas too. The colder the temps, the more frost you'll see building up. I've field tested a lot of winter set ups over the years and I share what I've learned based on quite of bit of field experience. Over covers, just like a single walled tent, trap moisture inside that just freezes to the fabric. They are a cool idea and work well in certain conditions but they don't work everywhere and not well in really cold weather(sub 0 ambient temps).
    That's enough empirical evidence for me!

I was pretty sure that cotton canvas is not the stuff of dreams.

Hammock
    Robic XL 1.1oz 11'
    Tarp
    RSBTR PU4000 tarps
    Insulation
    UGQ 0* 20* 40* set
    Suspension
    Multi buckle web
    Canvas has worked very well for me ....yes you can get some frosting but I'm also in a dry cold environment even though close to the coast. But never have experienced a frozen canvas unless the temps climb up then dampness frosting melt freeze usually follows
    Like everything local environment plays a big role in choice and it is ALL about compromises...experiment and do what works for you....the more tools in your tool box the better your able to adapt.
    The idea of discrediting something because it is nostalgic is poor choice....I love my cotton canvas as outer shells but one also has to understand its limitations as well ....just like every material made.....it is all about the compromise.
    Life is too Short to not feed the addiction....Hang on and explore the World

Hammock
    Raven, SLD Streamliner
    Tarp
    Hanger11WB,WntrHvn
    Insulation
    HG,UGQ,JrB
    Suspension
    UCR's
    Images
    Which FBH was that o&b?? I'd like to know more about it. What were the temps and general weather conditions?

Why is it that canvas mukluks work so well in the cold, but the experts think a canvas sock won't?? Granted a sock has much more volume than a boot, but the principal is the same is it not?

bkrgi, as one who uses canvas you seem to be having the same results as the other "nostalgic" users. There's evidence of that on the forum, even recently in an active thread.

As seen in Da Shack video canvas works, just not as well at above zero temps. Yes, the condensation freeze in the fabric but even at those temps it's mostly gone by the next night. In my five nights of use, all below zero, canvas works wonders. Of course there is some frost but, with proper setup as in all things hammock related, it's IN the fabric rather than on it with nylon. THAT, and better wind resistance, is the difference! When the sock gets flipped up and over the RL before exiting the hammock there is no snowstorm, try that with a nylon sock or over cover! I also haven't had a need for a frost bib and, as a plus, my balaclava doesn't frost up. I've even thought about getting rid of that, a good wool hat might be enough without anything covering my face.

After a winter in a nylon sock and enjoying the added warmth and wind protection I got a canvas sock this winter. Night and day difference between the two, but I've only got a few nights of actually being in one........
    Last edited by goobie; 01-08-2018 at 17:32.

Hammock
    Robic XL 1.1oz 11'
    Tarp
    RSBTR PU4000 tarps
    Insulation
    UGQ 0* 20* 40* set
    Suspension
    Multi buckle web
    Well Said Goobie

Each to their own but Canvas has a very long history...And there be a reason for that.
    Just wish someone made the real deal Egyptian sail cloth once again
    Life is too Short to not feed the addiction....Hang on and explore the World

Hammock
    SMR Pares/Chameleon
    Tarp
    Smr Stratos/Nube
    Insulation
    20deg loco libre
    Suspension
    SMR EZ slings
    Quote Originally Posted by NickoftheWoods View Post
    I completely understand that frost is going to build in those temps, all im trying to do is find something that might catch the frost other then the bib so it doesn't snow on me every time I move. im going to try placing a piece of fleece that runs over the ridgeline and down the sides of me to see if that catches any. I have many nights hanging in sub zero temps but the top cover Is new to me thats all.

Hammock
    SMR Pares/Chameleon
    Tarp
    Smr Stratos/Nube
    Insulation
    20deg loco libre
    Suspension
    SMR EZ slings
    I know you are not going to eliminate frost build up, all I'm trying to do is figure out a way, other then the frost bib to catch the moisture and doesn't snow on me every time I move with the top cover on the hammock.

Thinking outside the box is what drives creativity.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast