SMR Pares/Chameleon
    Tarp
    Smr Stratos/Nube
    Insulation
    20deg loco libre
    Suspension
    SMR EZ slings

Frost build up on Top cover

Just curious on what everyone does about frost building up in a hammock with a top cover, Ive seen the frost bib but I just can't get used to it. I was hanging last weekend with a low temp of 3F and windchill around -15F, I had my chameleon with the Top cover on and although I expected some frost to build up but thought he vent would take more condensation out, I wasn't expecting it to snow on me every time I moved.

it was the first time I've hung with a cover on the hammock in sub zero temps and as of now ill prob stick with no cover. just wondering what everyone else does besides the frost bib. I was wearing a balaclava which didn't Catch much moisture either.

im thinking about maybe a hybrid of the frost bib that doesn't attach to you but maybe the ridgeline and some small pieces of velcro on the TQ or something like that, Brainstorming here

Hammock
    Robic XL 1.1oz 11'
    Tarp
    RSBTR PU4000 tarps
    Insulation
    UGQ 0* 20* 40* set
    Suspension
    Multi buckle web
    Anything nylon or silpoly will collect moisture aka snow ..it is the compromise of light weight materials. More venting helps but reaches a point of why bother then since you would be back to being fully exposed.
    Solution: Cotton Canvas... either a 100% cotton canvas painters drop cloth in 9x12 or find some 5oz canvas in a very tight weave...can be hard to find.
    Let it drape over the hammock either over the ridge line or strung like a tarp in drape mode.

Kitimat-Stikine E-20150202-02409 by richardktm300, on Flickr

In temps below 20f you can fore go the use of a tarp.
    This painters drop cloth weighs in at 5.5lbs though....so it is all about compromises....no win win here.
    Life is too Short to not feed the addiction....Hang on and explore the World

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Maybe a Cold Avenger Facemask would work........https://coldavenger.com/collections/...eece-face-mask
    Never tried one myself.
    I use a frost bib.
    But nothing ever helped me keep condensation and ice off a top cover or hammock sock.
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    Have cover - have buildup. It has no where to go. You need all the ventilation you can get plus something that can capture that breath moisture. We do not get that cold here but the other night I had my bug net up and I woke up at 5 am and sneezed. It was the pretties snow storm that I've seen in a while. I have no place to hang a frost bib in my Warbonnet Ridgerunner so now I'm going to try a 3' X 4' piece of fleece to lay on top of my top quilt. I can't remember who it is but one top quilt manufacture has the option to include a sewn in frost bib but it's on top of the quilt I and find myself on my side and partially under the quilt. This isn't a problem on a one or two night trip but any longer and the quilt has trouble drying out before the next night.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Vent or no vent - condensation will happen. I've used a top cover with both ends wide open and still got condensation.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    Chameleon wide
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    JRB Wash4;H.Sierra
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    I agree with Trialslug — anytime you use the top cover with. Chameleon, you will find lots of frost crystals whenever it gets to zero or below. However, my biggest problem was with breath moisture collecting on the surface of the TQ near my face. I used a balaclava and a neck gaiter over my nose, but there was still lots of dampness on the TQ. Next time I am going to plug a couple of snaps onto the edge of a large fleece baby blanket so that I can hold the fleece somewhat stationary by attaching it on one side to the rings on the inside of the hammock. Not an ideal fix, but it might hold the fleece in place on top of the TQ.
    I tried one of Shug’s bibs tied to the ridge line, but it kept popping free because it was a little too taught.

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    WL Oldman Winter
    Insulation
    WL Downy Goodness
    Suspension
    Cinch Bugs
    Images
    Wilderness Logics puts a removable fleece condensate patch on their top quilts.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Mindfulhermit View Post
    I agree with Trialslug — anytime you use the top cover with. Chameleon, you will find lots of frost crystals whenever it gets to zero or below. However, my biggest problem was with breath moisture collecting on the surface of the TQ near my face. I used a balaclava and a neck gaiter over my nose, but there was still lots of dampness on the TQ. Next time I am going to plug a couple of snaps onto the edge of a large fleece baby blanket so that I can hold the fleece somewhat stationary by attaching it on one side to the rings on the inside of the hammock. Not an ideal fix, but it might hold the fleece in place on top of the TQ.
    I tried one of Shug’s bibs tied to the ridge line, but it kept popping free because it was a little too taught.
    That is why I use a shock cord on a small s-biner to attach the bib. (see it :25 seconds in on video below) Various hammocks have different ridgeline heights. So I can adjust it.
    I frost bib is mainly to keep ice and condensation off of the TQ but some would still get on the top cover.
    Shug

Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    Vent or no vent - condensation will happen. I've used a top cover with both ends wide open and still got condensation.
    Yep, condensation happens.

Hammock
    SMR Pares/Chameleon
    Tarp
    Smr Stratos/Nube
    Insulation
    20deg loco libre
    Suspension
    SMR EZ slings
    I do like the idea of the canvas, might have to look around, I like the top cover but if I can't find something ill just ditch it. I have some fleece that im going to mess around with in the next week or so. A heat wave is coming this week 25F for most of the week. im thinking about putting a piece of fleece or canvas over the ridgeline but between the top cover maybe about 2ft wide, it might be enough to catch some moisture and keep the snow inside down some

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast