Dutch 11 foot
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Diy uq phantom32
    Suspension
    Dutch speed hooks/
    Images
    Sorry Miss read the last post, I thought you said you had folded the baffle material when you sewed it. I hope it holds better than mine did I was using pretty cheap mesh that might have been the problem.
    By all means, let's argue about whether or not a hammock will hurt a tree. All the while ignoring the fact that there is an island of garbage the size of Texas floating in the Pacific ocean. Or how about the fact that over 75% of the world's nuclear reactors are leaking...

Hammock
    DIY 11 ft
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    DIY various
    Suspension
    straps
    If you don't enjoy "mathinations", you will want to skip this post!

My quilt has 9 longitudinal chambers, 70" long. The outer two are 4" wide on the inner shell, and 5" wide on the outer, while the middle seven are 5" wide inner and 6" wide outer. Baffle height is 2.5", and chamber height is 3. The UQ calculator gives 12.76 in^2 for the outer cross sectional area, and 15.6 in^2 for the middle. I shook the quilt to migrate the down to one end, then hung it by the other and let it sit for about 1 week to give the down time to expand. That is the picture I posted today a few posts earlier in this thread. I then laid it out flat and measured the approximate length yet to fill in each baffle. I used that to calculate the total amount of volume filled, divided by the ounces stuffed so far and got 6655 in^3 / 20.96 oz = 317.5 fp I then calculated the volume yet to fill and divided by the fp to get the ounces yet required which came out to about 8.8 oz. I then calculated the volume yet to fill in each chamber, and divided by my calculated fp to get the weight of down yet required in each chamber. Adding all that up I came up with the same weight which is a good sanity check.

When I get done stuffing it, I will have almost 1.9 lb of down in the quilt (where the original calculated amount required was about 12 oz for 800fp down). I'll throw the rest away, and good riddance!

I will post a picture of the finished product when done.

BTW, to weigh the quilt, I stuffed it into one of the stuff sacks I made for my 6oz climashield quilts, and it pretty much filled that. I do hope that with the extra thickness, it will at least be warmer.

BTW2, I slept in my 6 oz CS quilts Friday night at a group hang, and with my new diy winter tarp and hammock sock, I made it through the night (23F low), but was cold.

mathineer

Hammock
    Dutch 11 foot
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Diy uq phantom32
    Suspension
    Dutch speed hooks/
    Images
    From my experience no quilt or sleeping bag for that matter will entirely loft up one hung up on its end like that, the down will just settle to the bottom. How thick did it ended up when you put it flat and spread the down around. Again that one picture makes it look like there's plenty of down in the quilt it's just all settled to one end.
    By all means, let's argue about whether or not a hammock will hurt a tree. All the while ignoring the fact that there is an island of garbage the size of Texas floating in the Pacific ocean. Or how about the fact that over 75% of the world's nuclear reactors are leaking...

Hammock
    DIY 11 ft
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    DIY various
    Suspension
    straps
    Quote Originally Posted by Carrico View Post
    From my experience no quilt or sleeping bag for that matter will entirely loft up one hung up on its end like that, the down will just settle to the bottom. How thick did it ended up when you put it flat and spread the down around. Again that one picture makes it look like there's plenty of down in the quilt it's just all settled to one end.
    I know you want it to be something I did wrong, but it's the down. It sucks!

Here are two pictures of the quilt laid flat for about 2 hours after taking it down.
    IMG_0891.jpgIMG_0892.jpg
    It doesn't want to re-loft. I can push down in a place that's puffed up, and it doesn't spring back. My down sleeping bag and the bed quilt that my wife gave me don't behave that way.

In fact, after seeing how it behaves after stuffing into a stuff sack, I've now decided it isn't even worth stuffing the rest of the down into this quilt. I'm going to take it out somehow, and try the down from the bed quilt. If you want to pay for shipping and half the price I paid for it, I'll ship it to you and you can use it! Or better yet, pay me for the down, the shipping and the fabric, and I'll ship the whole deal to you and start from scratch. Let me know...

mathineer

Hammock
    Dutch 11 foot
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Diy uq phantom32
    Suspension
    Dutch speed hooks/
    Images
    All right, all right, I wasn't trying to add insult to injury. I totally understand the disappointment in spending a lot of time and effort on something and it not turning out the way you're hoping.

Hammock
    DIY 11 ft
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    DIY various
    Suspension
    straps
    After a looooong delay, I finally got around to ordering some goose/duck down from Wilderness Logics: https://www.wildernesslogics.com/850...-BLEND-GDB.htm

I chose them for two reasons: 1) very reasonable cost, and 2) the down is packed in ~1 oz anti-static packages. This packaging made stuffing the quilt MUCH easier! I cut the package in half with scissors; slit one end with a sharp knife; inserted into the channel; and pushed the down in with my hand. I got this idea from Fronkey https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sCJp2C4EFjU

I weighed a few of the packages, and they varied from 1.4 to 1.6 oz. I weighed one empty package at .4 oz, so I might have gotten a bit extra in some of the packages.

I ended up putting 13 oz total into the quilt, 1.5 packages into each of the 7 central channels (5" wide), and 1.25 packages into the 2 smaller outer channels (4" wide). Here are some pictures of the finished quilt:
    IMG_0893.jpg IMG_0894.jpg IMG_0897.jpg

As can be seen from the photos, the quilt lofted pretty nicely. It looks like the outer channels could maybe use a bit more down, but I think I'll leave it like it is for now and try it out this fall/winter when it gets colder (94F outside today with heat index of 101, so not today!). I was shooting for 3" of loft and it looks like I got a bit over 3.5"

This down met and exceeded expectations, unlike the Rose Feather stuff. Anyone wants that crap they can have it! I've got a couple of bags (close to 2 lbs) in the garage, and I'll probably pitch it.

When I get around to making a stuff sack, I'll post the obligatory final weight photo.

mathineer

Hammock
    WBBB XLC 2.0,WBRR,ElDorado
    Tarp
    12' Silpoly DIY
    Insulation
    HG TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Outdoor Ink Straps
    Images
    Mighty fine looking UQ to add to your kit. Hope you get to field test it soon and report your impression.

Hammock
    Dutch 11 foot
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Diy uq phantom32
    Suspension
    Dutch speed hooks/
    Images
    Looks really nice:<)

Hammock
    DIY 11 ft
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    DIY various
    Suspension
    straps
    First off, thanks for the nice comments from carmen2kayak and Carrico!

Okay, so I made the stuff sack tonight. I had some BRIGHT yellow fabric I bought on closeout from RSBTR, and made it out of that. It'll be hard to lose it! So now all that's left to finish it is to add the shock cord and hanger. I provided line locks at each corner, and a channel along each long and each short end. On my climashield quilts I ran shock cord through the channels AND through line locks, and hooked both to the quilt hanger. Of course I'll put shock cord through the short ends with cord locks to tighten them up as required, but I'm wondering if the shock cord through the long channels is really necessary. With sufficient cord, I can still adjust the quilt position along the length of the hammock with the line locks. I'm also wondering if quilt hangers are really necessary, or should I just use some Nite Ize s-biners. So the questions are:
    1. Shock cord through the long channels in addition to the shock cord at the ends through the line locks - yes or no?
    2. S-biners or quilt hangers?

Once I get the shock cord added I'll do final weight.

mathineer

Hammock
    Dutch 11 foot
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Diy uq phantom32
    Suspension
    Dutch speed hooks/
    Images
    I use S-biners to secure my underquilt suspension to my hammock continuous loop with no problems. And I find that the shock cord running through the channels is what causes the uplift and pulls the quilt up against your back, I don't think you'd get the same effect hanging it off the shock cord ran through the end channels. But you can always give it a try and add the shock cord through the long Channel if necessary.

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast