Hammock
    Chameleon Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    KC Cat Tangle 12
    Insulation
    LLG CR, Wooki
    Suspension
    Whoopie & shackle
    I got mine before progressing to Dutch's dyneema straps and Beetles. I don't count ounces, anyway, but I only plan to use these in a side-by-side setup at the foot end of two hammocks opposite a spreader bar.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you want information from the source:
    https://www.ultimatehammocks.com/pro...ltimate-straps
    I collect vintage camp stoves.
    I roast coffee at home.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Eldorado (Dream-Tex)
    Tarp
    ThunderFly
    Insulation
    Wooki, Diamondback
    Suspension
    DW June Bug Buckle
    Quote Originally Posted by gmcttr View Post
    Come on people...you're better than that.

"Each strap measures 10 feet long and tapers from 1 inch to half an inch wide—and thanks to the Nano Weave, the bottom of the taper remains every bit as strong as the top. The wider part helps avoid girdling and damage to the tree’s bark and cambium, while the thinner part keeps the weight to a minimum."

Pure overpriced marketing hype.

If the narrow bottom half has the same strength as the wide part, it has to have the same amount of material in it which would weigh the same. All that has been done is to change the weave making if narrower and I'll bet thicker.

A single 10' 1600 lb strap weighs 4 oz and the pair costs $14.99.

A single 10' 1500 lb (standard) strap weighs 2.15 oz and a pair costs $6.80 from Dutchware. So approximately the same weight and bulk for half the price.

But hey...if overpaying for a 'shiny new object' is your thing...go for it.
    I think it’s good to listen to your instincts and be skeptical sometimes. This seems like a valid concern. Hopefully, someone can break it down for us all so we can make the right conclusions here.

Hammock
    Chameleon Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    KC Cat Tangle 12
    Insulation
    LLG CR, Wooki
    Suspension
    Whoopie & shackle
    Relevant to this discussion is that the Ultimate strap is a daisy chain strap, not just a tree strap. It's also woven and not stitched, with 17 loops in 10 feet. This is a bit like comparing a new half-ton truck to a Nissan Versa, and saying the Versa is way cheaper. Well... yes, it is, but they're completely different things.

Dutch also has a couple versions of daisy chain webbing, and the details are out there for you to compare on your own. For the record, I'm a Dutchware junkie and I have nothing bad to say about his products. But... apples to apples.

Hammock
    WildernessLogics 12x6
    Tarp
    HG cuben 13ridge12
    Insulation
    TopQuiltUnderQuilt
    Suspension
    S and D
    Can be same strength at narrow end as wide end if same amount of material is used and just woven into different shape---I do not know if that is so with these tapered straps.
    I'm thinking about same as HandyRandy and wonder if these straps are a plus for me---don't know

Hammock
    Tarp
    ThunderFly
    Insulation
    Wooki, Diamondback
    Suspension
    DW June Bug Buckle

Ultimate hammock straps. Tapered = Ultralight

So does the wide portion (the first 40%) have daisy chain loops as well? Maybe the trick here is that the wide portion is only one strap and the narrow portion is two narrower straps woven together, so technically it is a lighter design than if that thinner part were full width…? It would have the same amount of material on both ends in that case and might be just as strong.

I am certainly curious, because I have been using Dutch’s daisy dyneema straps and love the versatility of them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Hammock
    DIY Bananahammock
    Tarp
    Dutch Duo
    Insulation
    DIY / HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Kevlar & UCR
    Quote Originally Posted by Phantom Grappler View Post
    Can be same strength at narrow end as wide end if same amount of material is used and just woven into different shape---I do not know if that is so with these tapered straps.
    I'm thinking about same as HandyRandy and wonder if these straps are a plus for me---don't know

The description says they are the same strength at both ends.
    Get lost in the woods and find yourself again. A vacation,to me, is working with your hands and surviving because of the fruits of your labor. In the business world I teach;in the natural world I learn.

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    Quote Originally Posted by DeltaNu1142 View Post
    Relevant to this discussion is that the Ultimate strap is a daisy chain strap, not just a tree strap....
    Ummm...Oops. I did not realize they are daisy chains as the description does not really discuss that fact. Rereading it, I do find the reference to "Adjustment points: 17".

Sorry for my mistake.

Images
    Both ends of the straps need to be the same strength roughly, if anything the hammock end of the suspension is the end where knots are tied, and buckles are weighted reducing the overall breaking strength moreso than near the tree. If you make the tree end portion as light as you can then theres not much more reduction to be done at the other end simply because you are already at your min strength requirement.

Hammock
    Tarp
    ThunderFly
    Insulation
    Wooki, Diamondback
    Suspension
    DW June Bug Buckle
    Thought about it some more and I think the dutch spider daisy straps I already have are still better. They’re still much lighter and more versatile and come in any length you want. They also don’t have some dummy warning label stuck on them!

These are still cool and have their own perks. They’re cheaper and have more professional looking finished ends and are almost just as versatile. A great budget option, I’d say.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast