Tarp
    WB, Towns-End, UGQ
    Insulation
    LSOH, JRB, UGQ
    Suspension
    Straps & Buckles
    Images

Towns End Bridges- Winter Hanging?

Wondering how everyone is doing with winter hanging in Towns End Bridges? Admittedly I've only hit 22 degrees so far, but no problems underneath. (Only using the Medium at this time) Right now I'm using a JRB MW4, and a Wilderness Logics Budget Winter UQ. Seems I require a bit more on top, perhaps because of the width. Wanted to know what y'all are using and how it's working out.

Hammock
    Hybrid 1.7 GE, Happy Medium Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY Xenon Winter
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    All of them! Ugh.
    Images
    I only use mine indoors, but it's a drafty 60* garage, does that help?

Hammock
    Towns-End
    Tarp
    WB, Towns-End, UGQ
    Insulation
    LSOH, JRB, UGQ
    Suspension
    Straps & Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by sqidmark View Post
    I only use mine indoors, but it's a drafty 60* garage, does that help?
    I guess it does if your warm!

I am going to try the quilt I just bought from you on my medium bridge. Might get to do it this weekend.
    Did you ever try it on yours?

Hammock
    Towns-End
    Tarp
    WB, Towns-End, UGQ
    Insulation
    LSOH, JRB, UGQ
    Suspension
    Straps & Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by grubbster View Post
    I am going to try the quilt I just bought from you on my medium bridge. Might get to do it this weekend.
    Did you ever try it on yours?
    I did and had no issue, just preferred these others. I also have a problem with Gear, my wife would like me to see a shrink. I believe someone once said “Hammock Fiend”. Is “Gear Fiend” implied in that, lol!

Hammock
    Hybrid 1.7 GE, Happy Medium Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY Xenon Winter
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    All of them! Ugh.
    Images
    Afraid I don't have an answer to the question since I'm only using it indoors, but maybe this info will be of use to someone.

I'm using my 20* habanero. I sewed on four grosgrain loops with 1/2" beastie dees to the edge of the habanero, to coincide with the poles on my medium. I made shock cord loops to hook over the bar tips and I cinch 'em down with cord locks to keep in place. I could just slip the beasties over the bar ends, but decided it'd be safer for the uq to have the "give" of the shock cords. Honestly, the beasties aren't really needed. For the head and foot ends, I attached the uq's primary and secondary cords to the apex biner with dogbones. I plan to make mini-ucr's so this is more easily adjusted. The uq's primary cord pulls the edge up beyond the hammocks cat curve, but that's ok. This system works well, with no gaps, but it can get a bit warm indoors with the 20*, especially since I sleep hot.

I have started to make a CDT uq for it, cut to the shape of the hammock. Still a works-in-progress with a long way to go. Just got some new hardware bits to test out. No doubt this will evolve through numerous iterations. I'm considering including a clews type of suspension in addition to the bar end shock cord connectors.

I just use a CDT tq which suits my needs. With today's storm, if the power goes out and I lose heat, I'll pull out my trusty 20* Ghost Pepper. I would expect to be as toasty as could be.

I'd like to drag it outside for a night, but my 20* set is not going to be sufficient with our current single digit nights.

Hammock
    Towns End BGBH
    Tarp
    UGQ WD12
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 20
    Suspension
    Ultimate Straps
    Images
    I have a fairly good size metal shed which is not insulated in any way that I am setting mine up inside of tomorrow. We have some overnight lows of 10-13 so I will see how far down my Synmat 7 will take me. I will have a 15 degree sleeping bag that opens up just like a TQ with a foot box and that will be used as well. Might throw my HG Borrow 40 on top of that to see if it helps any. Advantage of setting up IN the shed is that if the temps exceed the capabilities of my gear I can flip on the space heater to bring the inside temps up to a reasonable level (electric space heater - no fumes). The next night I'm going to add a HG Incubator 20 underneath to add to the Synmat 7 to see how that goes. Another advantage...no wind!

Let the testing begin!
    Retired US Navy, 10-year Stage IIIb colon cancer survivor. I believe my last words will be "Hold my beer..."

Hammock
    Towns-End
    Tarp
    WB, Towns-End, UGQ
    Insulation
    LSOH, JRB, UGQ
    Suspension
    Straps & Buckles
    Images
    I think testing and trials are half the fun! Let us know how it goes!

Hammock
    Towns End BGBH
    Tarp
    UGQ WD12
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 20
    Suspension
    Ultimate Straps
    Images
    Just set up my 'Meck stand in the shed minus one ridge pole to shorten it up. Connected the BGBH and it just barely fit...laid in it and it will work! So tomorrow night it is....

Test 1: No UQ, Exped Synmat 7LW in hammock, 15 degree sleeping bag opened as a TQ with my HG Burrow 40 on top of that. Predicted overnight low: 15 degrees F.

I have a thermometer inside and outside the shed so I can keep an eye on the temp inside the shed vs. outside.
    Retired US Navy, 10-year Stage IIIb colon cancer survivor. I believe my last words will be "Hold my beer..."

Hammock
    Towns End BGBH
    Tarp
    UGQ WD12
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 20
    Suspension
    Ultimate Straps
    Images
    FYI...distance of the BGBH caribiner attachment points on the stand, from 'biner to 'biner is 10 feet 2 inches. I did lay in the hammock and it does work, but I would not go below this distance at all. Too close together. But for cold weather testing purposes....

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast